DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 hours ago, maciej said:

got home quite drunk tonight on this awful day in American history and wanted to watch some piece of art that would make me feel good and, you'll all be shocked to hear I know, the 6/9/95 tag is still completely amazing.

It brings to mind the idea of Comfort Food Wrestling (which I, for one, could use a great deal of). What are your go-tos for taking away the blues? Honestly that tag is perfect because it sucks you right into the story and you stop thinking about all the other horseshit going on, I've actually used it recently myself. I'm sure this will be a list of people's favorite matches or stuff they watched when they were a kid, but who cares, shoot. 

• Like 2

Three month old WWE PPVs and RAWs are my comfort food recently. I watch them when they air and if they are good I save them and watch them again on a saturday afternoon if nothing is going on. Old Rumble's used to be my comfort food but the last few don't hold up in the rumble match itself. When I go though my downloads and find a six month old RAW I will enjoy it.

If you go back and watch the first few after-draft Smackdowns they are good too. I call them comfort food because I'm not really a compelled viewer like I am when I watch a live show. I will surf the net and exercise and only pay attention to the stuff I really like such as Gable/Jordan, Wyatts or Ambrose matches.

Archibald Peck Chikara YouTube clips have got me through some dark times, just one of the funniest characters ever booked.  His match with Cabana at KoT never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Im also quite partial to Joe v Necro Butcher from IWA:MS at the arena, Joe v Kobashi and Rumble 92.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matt788 said:

On the day after WWE shows and PPVs, Live Audio Wrestling has Wai Ting who offers intelligent measured reviews and his partner Pollock is clever and insightful as well. Both are actually positive about WWE. They seem to actually like wrestling.

What show are you listening to? These guys have been hating on RAW for the past 5 years. Every week they bitch about the 3 hour format. They clearly love wrestling, and the show is great, but it's pretty much non stop Raw sucks talk every week. 

13 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Well, in almost the strangest turn of events imaginable, Vince got a cabinet position and the presidents ear out of it. Truly terrifying times.

Linda wants the politics, Vince seemingly doesn't. Picking sides would hurt the WWE business and they know it. Look at how far they've stayed away from the freaking POTUS being in their HOF. Normally you brag about things like that. The only thing Vince should ask Trump to do is not mention the WWE. That would certainly push him back closer to millionaire status.

8 hours ago, DTTW said:

What show are you listening to? These guys have been hating on RAW for the past 5 years. Every week they bitch about the 3 hour format. They clearly love wrestling, and the show is great, but it's pretty much non stop Raw sucks talk every week. 

The LAW has thee worst call-ins ever and most of them are regulars. I seriously would be suprised if someone didn't call in thinking that Demolition were gonna return before New Day broke their record to stop them from doing so. 

Also Vince spent over a hundred million trying to make Linda a politician the last time around so if he really gave 7 this time then it was a bargain in comparison. 

On 21/01/2017 at 7:47 AM, Curt McGirt said:

It brings to mind the idea of Comfort Food Wrestling (which I, for one, could use a great deal of). What are your go-tos for taking away the blues? Honestly that tag is perfect because it sucks you right into the story and you stop thinking about all the other horseshit going on, I've actually used it recently myself. I'm sure this will be a list of people's favorite matches or stuff they watched when they were a kid, but who cares, shoot. 

Top of my head: Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart from WrestleMania X, Mitsuharu Misawa/Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue 6/9/95, Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13, Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker at In Your House 18: Badd Blood and WrestleMania XXV.

my comfort food wrestling is two-fold.

for long periods, i will watch the Monday Night Wars documentary. i've watched that thing a ton and can basically repeat it word for word.

lately, i keep watching the Last Battle of Atlanta. it gives me immense joy.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, twiztor said:

lately, i keep watching the Last Battle of Atlanta. it gives me immense joy.

I watched that match and it was like watching something from an alternate time and space. If that match was done today there wouldn't be one drop of blood and it would be so bleh.

God, I miss blood in cage matches. I'm not looking for that kind of bloodshed...but just a little you know.

• Like 3

I miss the very occasional bloodletting as well. Not the insane blood in every match thing, but Elimination Chamber, Hell in a Cell, or particularly serious grudge matches? Yeah. Keep it rare and it's more special anyway.

On 1/20/2017 at 0:51 PM, DTTW said:

I understand where Bryan was coming from but this was, and will probably be, the only time this ever happens and it goes down with some incredibly dumb and worthless questions to a guy who will likely be dictating the future of the wrestling. You take this golden opportunity to ask whether or not one of the greatest wrestlers of all time was working or not. Give me a break. I love Bryan but this was such an utter waste of an opportunity.

Thanks for the numbers btw.

HHH does conference calls for press questions 4-6 times a year. It's not that huge an opportunity.

So help me workshop something here.

Working with a spot I'm thinking of doing, where as the face, the other guy is in the corner/or on the ropes, and then Nutbush City Limits comes on, and I basically hit a series of knees and kicks to the face in line with the dance steps whilst the music is still playing.

Can I get away with adding an "Ike Turner" to the end of it, without completely losing babyface status?