DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

They had tried to sign him, RVD was not interested, Heyman just thought he could create a perfect moment in giving him the title and kept delaying it. 

It is not too far off from what happened with Taz winning it or the first Sabu/Taz match.. It kept getting put off and when it finally happens, all the excitement has been drained. 

To be fair, Tony was the voice of WCW during the two years or so that they were tied with or above WWF.

When Jesse first signed with WCW, Tony had a column in WCW magazine that never mentioned the WWF by name but was all about the first time he worked with Jesse there and how easy Ventura made it for him.

I think one of RVD's greatest moments was his comparison of the ECW title to the WWE World Turntable title of the time.  Paraphrasing: "This is the title I'll wear proudly.  And this one ... it spins."

• Like 8

The Tony conversation is reminding me how much Bobby Heenan eviscerated him in his book. Apparently he was always playing politics, though playing politics in WCW if you aren't getting paid not to work was ridiculous, and was a complete asshole. I think Bobby even said he never had dinner with the guy though they worked together for years.

Heyman saying he couldn't make talent in time was an excuse for the fact that he had burnt so many people that his heart wasn't in it and he was looking for an escape route, which he found in WWF. His plans were for his bottom line and not anybody else's at the end.

37 minutes ago, nate said:

I think one of RVD's greatest moments was his comparison of the ECW title to the WWE World Turntable title of the time.  Paraphrasing: "This is the title I'll wear proudly.  And this one ... it spins."

Oh I remember that. Something like"these mean so much to me. This one I worked for for years and I've finally got it. And this one spins."

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Heyman saying he couldn't make talent in time was an excuse for the fact that he had burnt so many people that his heart wasn't in it and he was looking for an escape route, which he found in WWF. His plans were for his bottom line and not anybody else's at the end.

I think this is probably true. If you believe Bruce Prichard, Heyman was in the room when Vince pulled out key members of creative and management and asked them their opinion on purchasing WCW. This was before ECW even filed for bankruptcy. ECW was still putting on it's "final shows" and Heyman was in creative meetings and giving Vince McMahon his opinion on whether or not he should buy WCW - that's kind of crazy to me.

16 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

I wonder what would've happened if Paul Heyman had managed to find someone like Dixie Carter to sell ECW to. You know, someone who didn't mind losing a ton of money. 

Rhyno Carter III holds the title for 2 years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Tony conversation is reminding me how much Bobby Heenan eviscerated him in his book. Apparently he was always playing politics, though playing politics in WCW if you aren't getting paid not to work was ridiculous, and was a complete asshole. I think Bobby even said he never had dinner with the guy though they worked together for years.

Tony has said that everything Bobby said was true and that he (Tony) was in the wrong during his time with Bobby in WCW. 

Tony is like many people who are announcers for wrestling, they do it as a side gig and it's not their true passion so they burn out quickly. However Turner was paying Tony more than he would make anywhere else and the Braves job was never opening up so he stuck with WCW and was completely miserable.

Though if the rumors are true in the mid-90s the President of WCW was open and the choices were Eric Bischoff and Tony. I wonder what would've happened had Tony gotten the nod and ran WCW pre-Hogan

3 hours ago, nate said:

RVD could have been Austin-lite constantly clashing with Authority by simply fucking up whatever their plan was through incompetent actions.

48 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

I wonder what would've happened if Paul Heyman had managed to find someone like Dixie Carter to sell ECW to. You know, someone who didn't mind losing a ton of money. 

I swear Dreamer talked about that almost happening. Paul didn't want to give up his baby was the reason he didn't allegedly.

10 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

I wonder what would've happened had Tony gotten the nod and ran WCW pre-Hogan

Same thing as everyone else before him. Short term and fired. Tony didn't have the magic vision Eric had. They'd have died years earlier. No NWO, no massively profitable years, it would have been a total disaster.

19 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

Tony has said that everything Bobby said was true and that he (Tony) was in the wrong during his time with Bobby in WCW. 

Tony said during that little Twitter Q&A that he preferred to be in a 2 man booth... unless the 3rd man was Heenan

11 hours ago, DTTW said:

I swear Dreamer talked about that almost happening. Paul didn't want to give up his baby was the reason he didn't allegedly.

I remember something like that too. Supposedly, Dreamer had buyers lined up to keep ECW running but Heyman decided to sell to Vince instead. 

• Like 1

So the wife got me an Echo Dot for Hanukkah and last night she (Alexa, not the wife) went nuts during the Smackdown promo since she likes to interpret Alexa Bliss as "Alexa Please." I now have a nightmare scenario of Alexa Bliss buying a Lamborghini on Total Divas.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I remember something like that too. Supposedly, Dreamer had buyers lined up to keep ECW running but Heyman decided to sell to Vince instead. 

At the time it was reported that Vince offered to let ECW keep their show on TNN but Heyman refused. This was also around the same time he was tanking the TNN show to make the syndicated show look better.  The shame of it is, Heyman is well off while the guys who made ECW have to use Gofundme to get surgeries they need.

PWI has up a blurb on their ELITE~! site that says that Michael Cole wants to move more into the off-camera production side of things and get away from announcing (where he would be helping to groom new announcers and do other things)

No timetable or anything just that there is a lot of talk about him wanting to make the move.

One would assume that if they do it they wouldn't pull the trigger till after Mania