DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

13 minutes ago, Zartan said:

I recall in a Dudley Boys shoot , Bubba mentioning how they use to joke around about how eventually Paul E was probably going to ask Dreamer to let someone shoot him for an angle and Bubba does this great impression of Paul saying "Are you willing to take a bullet for ECW".

Tommy wanted to do it but Terry Funk talked him out of it.

Didn't they have Fritz Von Erich a fake heart attack on the same night they had the "New Freebirds" show up in World Class? That's pretty much a white flag waving "we surrender, come take our promotion from us" situation.

35 minutes ago, zev said:

Didn't they have Fritz Von Erich a fake heart attack on the same night they had the "New Freebirds" show up in World Class? That's pretty much a white flag waving "we surrender, come take our promotion from us" situation.

eric embry discussed that recently when he was austin's pod a few weeks ago.

Someone asked Tony Schiavone on Twitter what his favorite match he ever called was and he said the Hogan/Bossman cage match from MSG

Summerslam 89 was the best PPV he ever called and Regal/Finlay from Uncensored was the most "shocking" match he ever called

The death of a character only works if you have a Lucha Underground type show that clearly delineates that the characters are different from the people playing them. The Mr. McMahon thing, while I was interested to see how they would have driven that off a cliff, was proven to be not a great idea once the next few weeks happened. 

It also would help to not have a profession where people die young every six months. 

1 hour ago, DTTW said:

Please explain. In a roster of unique characters, over the top violence, and crazy athleticism, Justin was pretty much just the worst. Corino was a better chicken shit heel. Numerous were better talkers and wrestlers. They already had a better cane swinnger. The guy could barely have a decent match with Sasuke.

Credible was a poor match up for Sasuke in a lot of ways. But he had a lot of very good matches with Mikey and Spike Dudley on house shows. He just was not going to have WCW/NJPW style crusierweight matches. He did not have the offense for it. 

He was the best bumper on the ECW roster, way better than a guy like Corino. But Corino was a better all around wrestler. At the same time, even when Corino won the belt in November, it was still tough to buy him as champion. 

Jerry Lynn was the best choice but at that point, But Heyman was expecting a perfect set of circumstances for RVD to win the title and that was simply not going to happen after he screwed up not paying Mike Awesome. 

I would say he should have had RVD go over Awesome for the title. But by September, Heyman had stopped paying him too. 

3 minutes ago, Victator said:

Credible was a poor match up for Sasuke in a lot of ways. But he had a lot of very good matches with Mikey and Spike Dudley on house shows. He just was not going to have WCW/NJPW style crusierweight matches. He did not have the offense for it. 

He was the best bumper on the ECW roster, way better than a guy like Corino. But Corino was a better all around wrestler. At the same time, even when Corino won the belt in November, it was still tough to buy him as champion. 

Jerry Lynn was the best choice but at that point, But Heyman was expecting a perfect set of circumstances for RVD to win the title and that was simply not going to happen after he screwed up not paying Mike Awesome. 

I would say he should have had RVD go over Awesome for the title. But by September, Heyman had stopped paying him too. 

IMHO If you can't have a good match with Mike or Spike you have little business being in wrestling because they are very competent guys. How much of that was them? I can't recall Credible carrying, let alone having, a *** match let alone one of greater levels. I'm sure he's been in at least one, probably with 2 or more other guys.

I can picture a few Corino bumps, can't say the same for Justin. Oh, Corino needed work, but they should have just treated him like Honkey and had all the flunkies muck things up for a long run and just let him build heat to go nuclear. Someone beats him, boom, new star.

I like Jerry, but he's not the guy. Never could be the guy.  RVD could have been the guy, but who did they have to chase him? Sabu because he smoked up his stash? I'd have loved Balls getting a 6-month shot. He was over and as a "fighting" champion, he'd probably done well beating a few guys here and there in crazy ECW brawls.

Credible was great at bumping and selling. That goes back to his days as a WWF job guy. He just did not have much going offensively. 

As champion he had good matches most weeks. I don't really care who was responsible for a good match, a W is a W. 

Lynn was one of the only guys on the roster fans could buy. I also think he was a very good heel when given the chance. 

If you give the belt to RVD in place of Justin Credible. You could with the way ECW did pay per view (and assuming they found money into 2001) get multiple matches with Raven, Tajiri, Super Crazy, Rhino, Sandman, Kid Kash and eventually Jerry Lynn. That is at least two years and should be time to get new stars over. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zev said:

Yes.  Well, yes, more or less.  People defend the angle by pointing out no one ever claimed Fritz had a heart attack.  Fair enough, but the angle had the New Freebirds interrupt a cage match, attack everyone, and whip Fritz.  Fritz got up, exited the cage, then mysteriously collapsed while clutching his chest and was 'rushed to the hospital."  The way the collapse plays out certainly implies a heart attack, and the updates on Fritz's conditions that aired in following weeks did nothing to dispel that idea.  It's fairly clearly some sort of long-term health scare: heart attack, stroke, something like that.

Also, that was Fritz's last appearance on World Class TV (he made one more appearance at a wrestling event, but that was years later in Global).  Apparently, some fans thought Fritz was written out because he actually did die or become to ill to appear on the show.  And, to make it even more sleazy, even though he didn't appear on TV, Fritz did appear at shows and give updates about his health.  Some nights he was getting better, some nights he was getting worse.  Some of the people who were around at the time claim Fritz got better or worse depending how attendance was that night.  Lol.  No idea if that's true, but Fritz used a lot of dubious carny tactics, so it's certainly possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Someone asked Tony Schiavone on Twitter what his favorite match he ever called was and he said the Hogan/Bossman cage match from MSG

Summerslam 89 was the best PPV he ever called and Regal/Finlay from Uncensored was the most "shocking" match he ever called

Pretty interesting set of answers from someone so strongly identifiable as an NWA/WCW guy. 

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Tommy wanted to do it but Terry Funk talked him out of it.

I can't remember what podcast I heard it on but the story was that Funk realized that Dreamer and Heyman were crazy enough to try it so he told Dreamer that Dory Sr. got shot in the ring in Amarillo but the angle didn't draw. 

23 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Pretty interesting set of answers from someone so strongly identifiable as an NWA/WCW guy. 

Tony has said that Hogan vs Warrior was the best match he ever saw live (he was working off-camera at WM6, just before he went back to WCW).

47 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Yes.  Well, yes, more or less.  People defend the angle by pointing out no one ever claimed Fritz had a heart attack.  Fair enough, but the angle had the New Freebirds interrupt a cage match, attack everyone, and whip Fritz.  Fritz got up, exited the cage, then mysteriously collapsed while clutching his chest and was 'rushed to the hospital."  

I vaguely remember seeing it on TV back then. If someone were to post, "Marc Lowrance actually did say heart attack during  the segment" I wouldn't have argued against it.

42 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Tony has said that Hogan vs Warrior was the best match he ever saw live (he was working off-camera at WM6, just before he went back to WCW).

I believe that was Bossman/Hogan in a cage at MSG. He called both that and the Boston match that was earlier in the day. 

1 hour ago, zev said:

I vaguely remember seeing it on TV back then. If someone were to post, "Marc Lowrance actually did say heart attack during  the segment" I wouldn't have argued against it.

I have seen it and while he doesn't say it, the implication is certainly there.  

I don't think Schiavone is making things up either.  SummerSlam '89 is probably one of my favorite Tony shows too.  It's just so weird to hear the voice of Crockett calling a WWF PPV.  Especially during the Hart Foundation vs. BrainBusters match, which is as close as you'll ever get to a WWF interpromotional match from that era.

• Like 1

I don't think you can blame him for his hostility toward some wrestling fans. You have some people giving him crap for things he said in 1998, which was most likely given to him by Bischoff. 

I know my interactions with him have been nice enough.

42 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I have seen it and while he doesn't say it, the implication is certainly there.  

I don't think Schiavone is making things up either.  SummerSlam '89 is probably one of my favorite Tony shows too.  It's just so weird to hear the voice of Crockett calling a WWF PPV.  Especially during the Hart Foundation vs. BrainBusters match, which is as close as you'll ever get to a WWF interpromotional match from that era.

I liked how he called Jesse on his crap all night and Jesse was growing really frustrated. For some reason Vince and Gorilla let it slide. But Tony was pointing out every time Jesse endorsed cheating, whenever Jesse complained about the faces.

4 hours ago, Victator said:

Credible was great at bumping and selling. That goes back to his days as a WWF job guy. He just did not have much going offensively. 

As champion he had good matches most weeks. I don't really care who was responsible for a good match, a W is a W. 

Lynn was one of the only guys on the roster fans could buy. I also think he was a very good heel when given the chance. 

If you give the belt to RVD in place of Justin Credible. You could with the way ECW did pay per view (and assuming they found money into 2001) get multiple matches with Raven, Tajiri, Super Crazy, Rhino, Sandman, Kid Kash and eventually Jerry Lynn. That is at least two years and should be time to get new stars over. 

But that's also the big reason for why I didn't think Credible worked as much as Heyman running so afraid of WWF/WCW he just gave him the belt to dare someone to steal Credible.

RVD was the hottest hand ECW had, he was the longtime TV champion- and even with his broken leg losing the TV title, that just opened the window up to make sure "RVD wins the ECW Title, in 2000, and officially becomes THE MAN in ECW."

It's the one thing ECW fans were waiting for, the one thing to keep ECW valid, and the one thing they NEEDED to do at that point to stay in the game.

Not giving RVD the ECW title bordered even past "ECW was shortsighted not to go all in with RVD" and went all the way to "Heyman clearly was terrified if he gave RVD the strap, then WWF or WCW will steal RVD from him".

11 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Wouldn't that have been the "high point" of his career? He was stuck working in the number 2 promotion and now he was in the "big leagues" calling for the number one wrestling organization in the world featuring the most famous wrestler in the world.

9 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

But that's also the big reason for why I didn't think Credible worked as much as Heyman running so afraid of WWF/WCW he just gave him the belt to dare someone to steal Credible.

RVD was the hottest hand ECW had, he was the longtime TV champion- and even with his broken leg losing the TV title, that just opened the window up to make sure "RVD wins the ECW Title, in 2000, and officially becomes THE MAN in ECW."

It's the one thing ECW fans were waiting for, the one thing to keep ECW valid, and the one thing they NEEDED to do at that point to stay in the game.

Not giving RVD the ECW title bordered even past "ECW was shortsighted not to go all in with RVD" and went all the way to "Heyman clearly was terrified if he gave RVD the strap, then WWF or WCW will steal RVD from him".

I'm honestly surprised that the WWF or WCW didn't try stealing RVD anyway. As we would see in 2001, RVD could get over as fuck on the big stage.

• Like 1