DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can't forget the rumor that Brian Pillman was faking his death, and was going to be the higher power. If anyone was going to be faking their death, Brian Pillman was the one you could see pulling it off. 

Yep, remember this too.

Or they were bringing in Vince's estranged brother, Rod as his twin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

A kid I went to high school with was convinced that Eddie Guerrero's death was a work and that he would be #30 in the Rumble and that he would take the belt from Batista at WrestleMania to complete the "Eddie and Dave are best friends" story where Dave wa swaiting for the heel turn.

Eddie tells everyone they believed he was dead but they forgot one thing - He LIES...

Its amazing what wrestling fans will think up and fantasy book with any shred of evidence.

I kinda believed that too. I mean I just didn't want to believe Eddie had died. If you think about it, Eddie coming back to screw Rey over at Wrestlemania out of the title would have been some Days of Our Lives/Stefano Dimera level heel work. Eddie gets his revenge for the whole loss at Summerslam in the Dominick ladder match deal. The WWE keeps saying they are a male soap opera at times. I want to see a fake death pulled off once just for the WTF factor of it.

44 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I want to see a fake death pulled off once just for the WTF factor of it.

And screw up their cash machine where they legitimately use their performers death to make millions from the sympathy they garner from help killing a human being like Eddie; fat chance.

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes! I also have a soft spot for Justin Credible thanks to Prong. I actually got into Prong seeing them open for Ozzy and Filter on the Retirement Sucks tour in the summer of '96. Prong's new stuff gets played pretty often on Sirius XM Liquid Metal.

I saw them a few years ago. I think Tommy Victor is the only original member left but they still rocked.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I always thought that the Prong version was a far better song, but the Grinspoon version was a better wrestling theme, if that makes sense.

I think so as well. The Grinspoon singer has a kind of annoying, high pitched voice so it suits a heel's theme better than the Prong version. I think the Prong version would be a great theme song for a monster face.

15 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

In Mississippi you have to have a license to wrestle. To get one you have to be 18 or older and pass a blood test. All they test for is HIV. Not that  there isn't plenty of indy guys working that fake the blood test,to save money,or are under 18. It is ran the commission is at a show. Now in AL they have someone at every show. The woman that runs Wrestle Birmingham got fined last year cause during their June show Curtis Hughes called the crowd "The biggest bunch of redneck PORCH MONKEYS I HAVE EVER SEEN."

In his book, Bob Holly had a picture of the wrestling license that Bob Sweetan gave him upon finishing training. It said something like K. Fabin's School of Wrestling Graduate, Bob Howard on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

In his book, Bob Holly had a picture of the wrestling license that Bob Sweetan gave him upon finishing training. It said something like K. Fabin's School of Wrestling Graduate, Bob Howard on it.

That was also how many years ago. I was surprised. But in AL every wrestler has to have their blood pressure tested before they are allowed in the ring. The doc at the show kind of hinted if someone's blood pressure was high he would still let them wrestle if they greased his palms.

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can't forget the rumor that Brian Pillman was faking his death, and was going to be the higher power. If anyone was going to be faking their death, Brian Pillman was the one you could see pulling it off. 

I've never been sure what to think of this scenario.  So glad they never did it.  On the one hand, it's the sort of thing Pillman could probably make work, so Pillman as the Higher Power might have been brilliant.  On the other hand, faking a wrestler's death just to further an angle is ghoulish and creepy.  I don't think even Vince would go that far.  He'd be afraid of the backlash from advertisers.

I can see Frtiz Von Erich going that direction and "resurrecting" David to fill the Sportatorium during the dying days of World Class.

• Like 1

Its like with Elvis or Andy Kaufman, you can look at their final days and tell they were dying.  Looking at Pillman's final TV appearances and its not surprising he was dead soon after. 

The Higher Power was one of the first real creative cracks (at least on a main event level) you could see in the WWF after they got hot.  The same garbage that plagues them creatively today. You are going to have an evil authority figure and it is probably going to be a McMahon. 

On 1/14/2017 at 0:22 PM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

This is the problem with fantasy booking.  It's almost always better than what actually happens.

And to add to what I said. In the case of Sabu it wasn't just money. He just needed to treat him with basic respect.

22 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

This reeked more of Heyman giving up and saying "It's Credible. You know he's weak. I DARE YOU to steal him from me, WWF or WCW."

No Heyman was over pushing Credible from nearly the start. He saw something in him and at times I could see it too. But he was over pushed and it really hurt him. So kinda similar to Reigns.

I'm surprised how many people are talking about faking a wrestler's death as a storyline and talking if it would be a good idea or not and hoping WWE never goes that route when they already did that route by killing off Mr. McMahon (Which I still think was an amazing angle that got torpedoed by actual deaths/stock market stupidity), but not being able to follow the storyline to its completion.  So, it's obvious that A) WWE/Vince is totally okay with doing a fake death angle and B) They probably won't do it again because of the shareholders/actual wrestling deaths.

This definitely falls into the "if don't have anything nice to say don't say anything" category.   Could be some stomach churning moments in the next couple of days

Although it does prove that when he wasn't competent to stand trial he actually wasn't competent

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, zev said:

I reckon they'll let Foley say some nice things about Snuka during RAW, and that'll be that.

The smartest thing would be have the graphic at the beginning of Raw, then say nothing else about it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Victator said:

Its like with Elvis or Andy Kaufman, you can look at their final days and tell they were dying.  Looking at Pillman's final TV appearances and its not surprising he was dead soon after. 

The Higher Power was one of the first real creative cracks (at least on a main event level) you could see in the WWF after they got hot.  The same garbage that plagues them creatively today. You are going to have an evil authority figure and it is probably going to be a McMahon. 

I know Andy Kaufman didn't fake his death, but he's the only guy I think was the combination of crazy/clever to actually do ti. . .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Victator said:

He saw something in him and at times I could see it too. But he was over pushed and it really hurt him. So kinda similar to Reigns.

Please explain. In a roster of unique characters, over the top violence, and crazy athleticism, Justin was pretty much just the worst. Corino was a better chicken shit heel. Numerous were better talkers and wrestlers. They already had a better cane swinnger. The guy could barely have a decent match with Sasuke.

I recall in a Dudley Boys shoot , Bubba mentioning how they use to joke around about how eventually Paul E was probably going to ask Dreamer to let someone shoot him for an angle and Bubba does this great impression of Paul saying "Are you willing to take a bullet for ECW". 

Vince's car blowing up was at least absurdly over the top. Flair pretending to die on Nitro was complete garbage though. 

If you write for wrestling and can't find a way to be creative without killing the people your writing for you suck at your job. 

Forget fake deaths: Jeff Hardy in the hotel stairwell was well over the line in my book, and I consider myself to have a pretty thick hide when it comes to professional wrestling.

At least the Vince thing was goofy nonsense. Given Jeff's history/reputation and the fact that Eddie Guerrero passed only a few years prior... Yeesh.