DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 2017-01-13 at 10:23 AM, RIPPA said:

Per PWI, re: Lesnar

The only RAW he will be missing is Feb. 13th which is in Las Vegas, where he is suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. 

How does this work? I understand commissions used to regulate pro wrestling, but didn't realise they still do. Why is that the case when it's obvious these days that it's fake fighting? And so, they have the power to ban Lesnar from competing on a wrestling show, but even from appearing on one?

I'd love to know more about commissions and pro wrestling in general. Which states still regulate wrestling these days, and what kind of rules do they focus on?

18 minutes ago, Cameron Swift said:

How does this work? I understand commissions used to regulate pro wrestling, but didn't realise they still do. Why is that the case when it's obvious these days that it's fake fighting? And so, they have the power to ban Lesnar from competing on a wrestling show, but even from appearing on one?

I'd love to know more about commissions and pro wrestling in general. Which states still regulate wrestling these days, and what kind of rules do they focus on?

In Mississippi you have to have a license to wrestle. To get one you have to be 18 or older and pass a blood test. All they test for is HIV. Not that  there isn't plenty of indy guys working that fake the blood test,to save money,or are under 18. It is ran the commission is at a show. Now in AL they have someone at every show. The woman that runs Wrestle Birmingham got fined last year cause during their June show Curtis Hughes called the crowd "The biggest bunch of redneck PORCH MONKEYS I HAVE EVER SEEN."

25 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I've never seen a Karl Anderson match. 

Chilly Willy had charisma and a good wrestling story. He should have gone farther.

Just watched a Chilly Willy music video on Youtube and I want him to be WWE champion. He's like the one thing making me regret not watching the very dying days of ECW regularly.

Honestly, Karl Anderson is probably best doing comedy matches against Liger with Maria around. As a serious rassler, his best is the G1 final against Okada from 2012, but I'm not a big fan of his.

On 1/10/2017 at 1:11 AM, sydneybrown said:

Rick Rude was a Mid-South jobber who was part of a trade to Memphis to help freshen up both territories (Rock n Roll Express, Midnight Express & Jim Cornette went to Mid-South, Rude, Jim Neidhart and Masaio Ito went to Memphis.)  And seriously, what a one-sided trade...

He was in Memphis in 1984 who joined the First Family where his most famous angle was Jerry Lawler piledriving his valet after a match.  Rude eventually turned face, and in what few shows I've seen, he was awful at it, because he still sounded like a totally smug dick.   He turned face in Memphis in the fall and was back as a heel in Florida by that winter.

Considering how the territories were in the process of drying up or being crushed by Vince, it's fairly impressive that Rude managed to hit so many different places in such short of a time (Mid-Atlantic, Vancouver, Georgia, Mid-South, Memphis, Florida, World Class, Crockett NWA and WWF, all in less than 5 years).

Here's the earliest Rude jobber match I could find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ0ua9XsLIA

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Shit that's a good point. I mean, Mike Awesome had a dated look, couldn't cut a promo worth a shit, and most WCW heavyweights would've laughed at the very idea of taking his offense, but WCW still scooped him up pronto. I guess "scrawny rat-faced guy in jorts" was the one champ no one wanted to steal...

Cut his mullet and let someone else talk. Problem solved. Guy looked like he could rip off your head and shit down your neck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Chilly Willy had charisma and a good wrestling story. He should have gone farther.

Exactly.  People like to shit on the final year of ECW, but they were clearly in rebuilding mode, and had a lot of parts in place to bounce back in 2001.  Corino and Rhino had just ascended to the main events, and CW Anderson was a few months away from joining them.  There was a solid midcard being built up, too, with York and Matthews, Diamond and Swinger, and Chilly Willy.  Chilly's "everbody's homeboy" gimmick was slightly pandering, but he was likeable enough to pull it off, and was one of the more athletic members of the roster.  If ECW had hung on for another year or so, at the very least, a handful of guys would have the chance to prove they could be stars.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Exactly.  People like to shit on the final year of ECW, but they were clearly in rebuilding mode, and had a lot of parts in place to bounce back in 2001.  Corino and Rhino had just ascended to the main events, and CW Anderson was a few months away from joining them.  There was a solid midcard being built up, too, with York and Matthews, Diamond and Swinger, and Chilly Willy.  Chilly's "everbody's homeboy" gimmick was slightly pandering, but he was likeable enough to pull it off, and was one of the more athletic members of the roster.  If ECW had hung on for another year or so, at the very least, a handful of guys would have the chance to prove they could be stars.

ECW in 2000 was still a shitload of fun. I went to the tag tournament where Mikey and Tajiri won the tag titles and also the Massacre on 34th St. ppv. 

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I was 100% convinced Dibiase was The Higher Power

At the time the only good candidates in my eyes were 

1. Dibiase, had a connection to Undertaker and you could see him and Bearer treating him as a higher power. 

2. Jake Roberts, he had a connection to Taker and Bearer. Would fit into the Ministry gimmick seamlessly. Also had reason to hate Steve Austin.

3. Mick Foley, this was my pick at the time. Was deranged, had a connection to Taker and Bearer and had reason to hate Austin, Vince and the Rock. He had been treading water since he lost the title in February. 

Dibiase could not really work. Since he was not a good non wrestling character. His time as lead heel manager in 94/95 did not work at all. Nor did he work out in WCW. Plus he could not take bumps. 

Jake was a wreck at the time and could not be trusted long term. Best you could do is maybe get two weeks out of him just to resolve the storyline. 

Dibiase just made sense to me. I think he had already vanished from WCW TV, he brought Taker in originally, and Austin had claimed to have intentionally thrown the match with Vega that got Dibiase fired.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

ECW in 2000 was still a shitload of fun. I went to the tag tournament where Mikey and Tajiri won the tag titles and also the Massacre on 34th St. ppv. 

You're lucky.  I live in Houston.  We only got one ECW show, in the summer of 2000.  It was a TV taping, with a fun RVD vs Kid Kash main event, and the very beginning of the Tajiri/Whipwreck team, when Tajiri saved Mikey from an FBI beatdown.  They'd announced a second ECW date in Houston before they shut down, but it wasn't meant to be.

Also, I am so jealous you got to see Miracle on 34th Street live.  Tajiri/Whipwreck vs Super Crazy/Kash is probably my all-time fave ECW match.

5 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

You're lucky.  I live in Houston.  We only got one ECW show, in the summer of 2000.  It was a TV taping, with a fun RVD vs Kid Kash main event, and the very beginning of the Tajiri/Whipwreck team, when Tajiri saved Mikey from an FBI beatdown.  They'd announced a second ECW date in Houston before they shut down, but it wasn't meant to be.

Also, I am so jealous you got to see Miracle on 34th Street live.  Tajiri/Whipwreck vs Super Crazy/Kash is probably my all-time fave ECW match.

Living in the heart of ECW territory was really nice. It also was great during Gabe's time booking ROH.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can't forget the rumor that Brian Pillman was faking his death, and was going to be the higher power. If anyone was going to be faking their death, Brian Pillman was the one you could see pulling it off. 

Yep, remember this too.

Or they were bringing in Vince's estranged brother, Rod as his twin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

A kid I went to high school with was convinced that Eddie Guerrero's death was a work and that he would be #30 in the Rumble and that he would take the belt from Batista at WrestleMania to complete the "Eddie and Dave are best friends" story where Dave wa swaiting for the heel turn.

Eddie tells everyone they believed he was dead but they forgot one thing - He LIES...

Its amazing what wrestling fans will think up and fantasy book with any shred of evidence.

I kinda believed that too. I mean I just didn't want to believe Eddie had died. If you think about it, Eddie coming back to screw Rey over at Wrestlemania out of the title would have been some Days of Our Lives/Stefano Dimera level heel work. Eddie gets his revenge for the whole loss at Summerslam in the Dominick ladder match deal. The WWE keeps saying they are a male soap opera at times. I want to see a fake death pulled off once just for the WTF factor of it.

44 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I want to see a fake death pulled off once just for the WTF factor of it.

And screw up their cash machine where they legitimately use their performers death to make millions from the sympathy they garner from help killing a human being like Eddie; fat chance.

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes! I also have a soft spot for Justin Credible thanks to Prong. I actually got into Prong seeing them open for Ozzy and Filter on the Retirement Sucks tour in the summer of '96. Prong's new stuff gets played pretty often on Sirius XM Liquid Metal.

I saw them a few years ago. I think Tommy Victor is the only original member left but they still rocked.

• Like 1