DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

16 minutes ago, caley said:

they could have brought in an indie guy like Christopher Daniels or Michael Modest, put the title on them and the crowd would have been way more into it, rather than Credible whom seemed to turn off a lot of longtime ECW viewers.

Christopher Daniels in 2000 was not a more credible option than Justin Credible.

6 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

But then we probably don't get the Unholy Alliance of Tajiri, Mikey Whipwreck, and the Sinister Minister.  And any world without that isn't a world I want to live in.

One of my favourite teams ever. Great combination.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I actually enjoyed Credible as ECW World champion, but at the same time, he was definitely the best of less options and not the guy to build the company around.   

I will always have a soft spot for Justin Credible because he introduced me to Prong. The first time I ever heard of them was when I saw him use a cover of Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck as his entrance music. I sought out the real version and have been a big fan of theirs ever since then.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

How dare you blaspheme against the Man who was almost The Higher Power!

At the time, I thought that Shane Douglas was going to be the Higher Power. I didn't know about all of the heat he had with various WWF people at the time but IIRC, he was nearing the end of his ECW run and this was when everyone was jumping back and forth.

My problems with the way Heyman booked the ECW Title go back to '98-'99. No way should Shane have held the belt for over a year when he was injured most of the time. By the time Taz finally got the belt the whole "Path of Rage" thing felt stale. Then when Taz is on his way out the door, instead of having him drop he belt to someone who had come up and gotten over organically in the company over the years, Heyman threw his FMW sideshow attraction into the Title picture. I mean, there was no story or character work to it, just, "Hey, these two guys who fill their matches with dangerously irresponsible chair shots and over-the-top power bomb spots? Now they're doing it for the ECW Title!"

On 1/14/2017 at 8:41 AM, cwoy2j said:

At the time, I thought that Shane Douglas was going to be the Higher Power. I didn't know about all of the heat he had with various WWF people at the time but IIRC, he was nearing the end of his ECW run and this was when everyone was jumping back and forth.

I was expecting him to bail out Vince and Shane at King Of The Ring 99. 

I keep thinking the best option for ECW in 2000 was for Heyman to pay his wrestlers the money he owed them. 

That bit with having Taz beat Awesome then lose to Dreamer then lose to Credible was worse than almost anything WCW booked that year. 

Then going to the PPV and Credible gets out of the triple threat match by threatening to throw the belt down. I mean its like that nonsense with that Punk angle. A champion refusing to defend his title, sounds like he forfeits. 

ECW had problems in 2000 but some of them like with WCW were self created. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I will always have a soft spot for Justin Credible because he introduced me to Prong. The first time I ever heard of them was when I saw him use a cover of Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck as his entrance music. I sought out the real version and have been a big fan of theirs ever since then.

Yes! I also have a soft spot for Justin Credible thanks to Prong. I actually got into Prong seeing them open for Ozzy and Filter on the Retirement Sucks tour in the summer of '96. Prong's new stuff gets played pretty often on Sirius XM Liquid Metal.

1 hour ago, Victator said:

I was expecting him to bail out Vince and Shane at King Of The Ring 99. 

I initially thought Owen Hart's fall was a work when JR first announced he was involved in an accident on the ppv. My belief was Shane Douglas was going to appear as the Blue Blazer and beat the Godfather for the IC title. 

1 hour ago, Victator said:

I keep thinking the best option for ECW in 2000 was for Heyman to pay his wrestlers the money he owed him. 

This is the problem with fantasy booking.  It's almost always better than what actually happens.

• Like 2

I thought it was Tyson, based on Lords of Pain posting an article about someone going to a restaurant and spotting he and Vince out to dinner, the fan asking Vince, and him winking back at him. 

Then again, I was 13, and believed everything in dirtsheets/news sites. 

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The answer for 2000 ECW is obviously Reckless Youth.

I imagine if ECW had survived, we would have seen a lot of the guys that were a part of early ROH; Da Hit Squad, Low Ki, Homicide, SAT's, Amazing Red, Mikey's students that made up Special K, etc.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DTTW said:

I hated Credible with the title then and still do now. Multiple guys were more talented not to mention actually physical imposing. That really was a time when they needed fresh young talent but they didn't have the money for it. Heyman should have gone booker genius and pulled something out of his ass, but he was probably dead inside by that point. I mean how much faith could he had if he put the title on Credible.

Even then, it was still the real problem. With the ECW signings throughout, even getting a good ECW Champion like the people considered didn't work because Heyman knew WWF or WCW would steal them.

This reeked more of Heyman giving up and saying "It's Credible. You know he's weak. I DARE YOU to steal him from me, WWF or WCW."

• Like 2