DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Cena as WHC champ and Taker as Rumble winner? But both have to look strong and still make money for team WWE?

Cena vs. Taker - Loser Leaves WWE.

Half the roster runs in after the longest ref bumps and stays down over to beat up Cena so he'll lose and leave.

Other half runs in to beat up Taker so he'll lose and leave.

Taker wins sometime after the last run in standing, Kane, choke slams Cena through an announcer's table, squashing JBL's hat.

Taker wins, but says that he'll take the retirement stip out of respect. Cena doesn't accept right away, but eventually does after filming another movie. Then he demands matches against everyone that interfered in the match. So you get umpteen main events out of Cena, and then he can become a Part Timer For Life, which means he'll get Taker's schedule until 2025.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BEN! said:

Godammit, pal, put Cena/Undertaker back on the board.  Lemme tell you what to do, baby!

Undertaker wins the Rumble.  Cena wins the WHC.  Undertaker challenges Cena at WM.  Call it Taker's last ride, Cena's last stand, something overly melodramatic.

Reigns wins the red belt.  Styles pitches a fit at D-Brine for giving Cena a title shot he didn't deserve and jumps to Raw and gets the title match at WM and WWE's 7-star match is set.  Maybe start a double turn too.

They can stick with Goldberg/Lesnar and Strowman can win the Andre Battle Royal.

And post-WM, you got Cena/Corbin ready to go and Reigns/Rollins vs. Styles/Balor before turning Reigns full heel later.

Pull Rollins out of the mix to do Styles vs Balor vs Reigns, and this would work.

Dude if Balor is cleared to wrestle by the time of the Rumble, him winning it and going after Owens and the belt he never loss would be a solid step i  this "build to the future" McMahon is on.

I no realistically Balor won't win it or even be on Wrestlemania, but if it did happen with the proper build that match could be really epic especially as the Main Event of Mania.  

I think Balor is supposed to be cleared shortly after the Rumble. Him entering at #30 and doing minimal work, just to be safe, doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

But I have no desire to see another KO/Balor match. So boring.

I'd personally be far more interested in Reigns vs Balor Episode 2: The Empire Strikes Back. And the crowd is likely to give Reigns enough flack to make Balor seem like the bigtime face he ought to be in that situation. 

Hypothetically though, let's play with Web Conn's Balor vs Owens scenario: What happens to Reigns and Jericho? 

• Like 1

Reigns/Strowman, and Jericho in a multi-person ladder match for the US title - since I'm in the camp that believes Miz/Ambrose for the IC title will get the blow-off match for their feud at 'Mania.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey all, Omega/Okada is playing on AXS TV tonight at 7 PM Central and reruns after the LFA card sometime later (supposed to be 11 Central but who knows). Just a heads-up. Ishii/Naito's playing the hour before. 

Good looking out. It'll be interesting to compare the Kelly/Corino commentary with the JR/Barnett commentary

• Like 2

Complete dream scenario: Miz wins the Rumble. Build the story around AJ coming in last year and running through him being the inciting event that led to Miz's bitterness and resurgence. Miz is tired of seeing guys like AJ come in and be handed opportunity after opportunity while Miz has to scratch and claw for everything he has, culminating in the A-Lister outlasting 29 other superstars. AJ semi-face turn included. 

If main event spots are handed out on the merits of performance over the last year, AJ vs Miz main events WrestleMania.

Spoiler

himZD0M.gif

• Like 2

Reigns vs Taker new blood vs old guard.

Jericho and Owens get into an argument the night after the Rumble, Jericho says something snide to Owens, KO looses it attacks Jericho. The next weeks on RAW, Owens cuts one of those heel promos on how Jericho made him do it and how it isn't his fault. Jericho come sout of the crowd and beats up Owens having security pull them apart. Jericho has a US title defense the next week against a mid carder IDK lets say Bo Dallas, Owens costs Jericho the match and the belt. Jericho interferes in Owens' match later that night. Owens vs Jericho at Fastlane. Owens goes over. Jericho either leaves after Fastlane or he's in like Casey said a multi-man ladder match for the US Title at Mania.

10 hours ago, DTTW said:

The question was why don't they just do it and my reason was we need to get out of the bubble. Sorry if I misinterpreted the question 

Nah, I think you interpreted it just fine, I'm just not sure what you're getting at.  We're on a wrestling message board talking about two wrestlers having a wrestling match at Wrestlemania.  What does us not knowing who Pitbull is have to do with that?

5 hours ago, Brandon-E said:

Jeff Jarrett in 2000 WCW and Justin Credible in 2000 ECW were more overpushed than Roman Reigns. 

Okay, real talk--what other options did Heyman have at that point other than Credible?  Lance Storm already had one foot out the door.  Raven, too.  He wasn't going to put Sandman or Sabu on top (was Sabu even around?).  Dreamer's persona doesn't work as champion.  Jerry Lynn wasn't a dynamic enough personality.  Corino wasn't credible.  Rhyno might have worked, but he hadn't been around for even a year and was still being built up.  Maybe Tajiri, but can he cut promos in English?  RVD should have gotten a run with the belt, but Paul E believed there was money to be made in him chasing the title.  He was right, but he waited too long to pull the trigger.  At least Credible wasn't going anywhere, and he was capable of getting heel heat.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Okay, real talk--what other options did Heyman have at that point other than Credible?  Lance Storm already had one foot out the door.  Raven, too.  He wasn't going to put Sandman or Sabu on top (was Sabu even around?).  Dreamer's persona doesn't work as champion.  Jerry Lynn wasn't a dynamic enough personality.  Corino wasn't credible.  Rhyno might have worked, but he hadn't been around for even a year and was still being built up.  Maybe Tajiri, but can he cut promos in English?  RVD should have gotten a run with the belt, but Paul E believed there was money to be made in him chasing the title.  He was right, but he waited too long to pull the trigger.  At least Credible wasn't going anywhere, and he was capable of getting heel heat.

I agree and I think that all of the names mentioned pretty much had a known cieling which wasn't going to work. To me, Credible was the swing for the fences guy. Even if it was a small chance to hit, it was the only choice. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I hated Credible with the title then and still do now. Multiple guys were more talented not to mention actually physical imposing. That really was a time when they needed fresh young talent but they didn't have the money for it. Heyman should have gone booker genius and pulled something out of his ass, but he was probably dead inside by that point. I mean how much faith could he had if he put the title on Credible.

Isn't Corino a precursor to what the Miz is today? Chicken shit heel ECW champion cheating would have drawn better than Justin Not That Credible.

21 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I think with ECW, the brand was always bigger than the wrestler, so they could easily have gone with Tajiri as champion.  They could've rehashed the endless Lynn-RVD series with the world title and the fans seemed to have an endless capacity to eat that stuff up.  But, it being ECW, they could have gone a number of different directions: bring back Tanaka, bring in another Japanese worker, bring back an old ECW guy like Terry Funk orthey could have brought in an indie guy like Christopher Daniels or Michael Modest, put the title on them and the crowd would have been way more into it, rather than Credible whom seemed to turn off a lot of longtime ECW viewers.

16 minutes ago, caley said:

they could have brought in an indie guy like Christopher Daniels or Michael Modest, put the title on them and the crowd would have been way more into it, rather than Credible whom seemed to turn off a lot of longtime ECW viewers.

Christopher Daniels in 2000 was not a more credible option than Justin Credible.