DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

45 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Speaking of Mania plans, it's amazing how much they've dropped the ball with the HHH-Rollins storyline over the past few months given that it's HHH's storyline. It's penciled in as a big match for Mania but it feels more like that year when HHH faced Sheamus.

I don't think it'll be as flat as HHH vs Roman was but I can't see any way for them to really heat up the feud. Seth cut all those promos about tearing down the machine and how he was going to do all of these things to force HHH out of hiding but they've had him accomplish none of it. They even dropped the whole "Was Stephanie in on it?" aspect and had her go back to being a heel.

Well, they will never admit this, but they didn't want Triple H on tv during football season. This way they can say "well, we're building suspense as to why he did it". In reality they could have brought him back considering how terrible the MNF season was this year, but Vince was more concerned with getting Roman over than doing Rollins big story with Triple H so every now and than he'll just drag that out.

OH YEAH I HATE TRIPLE H...FUCK THAT GUY.

The bad thing about all of this is Kevin Owens had a great title run and it was treated as an after thought because titles are props and Its a real shame hes on RAW. God, he would be great on Smackdown.

I'll be disappointed if they don't let AJ retain at the Rumble and have Cena chase him until Mania.  It seems a little anti-climatic to put title 16 on Cena without much build.

(Unless the switch the title to Cena at the Rumble, switch it back to AJ, then have Cena win no. 17 at WM.  Hopefully they don't go that route.)

Honestly, I can't think of a Cena opponent that would interest me as much as AJ.  Samoa Joe, maybe, but i'm skeptical they'd bring Joe in and push him right to build a Cena feud on short notice.

Just now, Phantom Lord said:

The bad thing about all of this is Kevin Owens had a great title run and it was treated as an after thought because titles are props and Its a real shame hes on RAW. God, he would be great on Smackdown.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  Owens time in NXT and first year on RAW made me forget why I hated his ROH singles run.  His title run made me remember SCUM.   That said, I am looking forward to the Best Friends split and I'm not really sure which one they'll turn.  I thought they'd turn Jericho babyface, but there may be more value in a KO face turn since Jericho is probably leaving shortly after WM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

He's the best all around wrestler in the company this year and has carried SDL in the main event, I'd say he deserves a marquee match.

This. This fucking Styles has done it all. All types of great different matches with all.types of guys, heel and face, great, believable promos. I honestly don't know what else he could have done to be better. He has been the best guy in the company and I'm not sure I'm even listening to an argument that says different.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

KO doesn't seem to be buried at the bottom of the card, does he?

No, but he's not the focal point, as the top champion on the show should be. He definitely feels like an afterthought behind Goldberg, Brock, Roman, Jericho, and even Braun.

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

This. This fucking Styles has done it all. All types of great different matches with all.types of guys, heel and face, great, believable promos. I honestly don't know what else he could have done to be better. He has been the best guy in the company and I'm not sure I'm even listening to an argument that says different.

Is he moving ratings and making the company more profitable? Hulk Hogan was a shitty wrestler, but damn did he generate money. All the 5* matches in the world are meaningless if they don't draw.

And just to be clear, I've liked Styles a long time, but I just don't see him as the guy whose gonna stop all the bleeding I'm noticing.

43 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Is he moving ratings and making the company more profitable? Hulk Hogan was a shitty wrestler, but damn did he generate money. All the 5* matches in the world are meaningless if they don't draw.

And just to be clear, I've liked Styles a long time, but I just don't see him as the guy whose gonna stop all the bleeding I'm noticing.

Besides Cena, who is moving the needle even a little bit?   SDL most weeks is only a couple hundred thousand viewers below RAW, if that.  That's it. And RAW is the flagship with most of the stars and all of the part time appearances happen on RAW.  Normal Monday night viewing.

You can say AJ hasn't moved the needle but we've seen now going on three years that Roman Reigns hasn't and really it's not even his fault either.

1 hour ago, DTTW said:

To be fair, is anybody really going to be able to stop the bleeding? This company is loaded with talent and has done a piss poor of job of building up a new crop of stars. Is it any wonder why WWE keeps going back to Brock, Taker, Cena, and now Goldberg? Maybe trying to build somebody other than Roman would have been a good idea.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To be fair, is anybody really going to be able to stop the bleeding? This company is loaded with talent and has done a piss poor of job of building up a new crop of stars. Is it any wonder why WWE keeps going back to Brock, Taker, Cena, and now Goldberg? Maybe trying to build somebody other than Roman would have been a good idea.

But that's the other problem- we've seen from the WWF's last fall in 1996-97 that this would be part of the problem.

The company's loaded with talent- but as long as WWE can go back to the well and go to Brock, or Taker, or Cena, or Goldberg, they can ignore building up the new crop of stars.

They need the part-timers to have some draws and build new stars,...but the only way they can build new stars is to hit bottom and lose all the part-timers so that they're forced to go all in with the talent they have.

Best Rumble - 92

Best Royal Rumble show - 07

I can't figure out why they keep punting on Cena/Taker. Just makes no sense. Do it while Undertaker can still physically show up (too late to do it while he can still go I think) 

The two haven't went one on one since, what, '03? It's a money match with two guys who might be part timers but aren't outsiders. And there's just not much else to do with Taker. I mean Christ, Shane?!?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DTTW said:

Can they really be that dumb? I assume they can but I'd be shocked if they actually did.

You will accept the Roman Empire! Those who don't learn from history etc...

15 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I know it's just a typo but I laughed anyway.

Glad you did, likewise here.

15 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

Is there a consensus best Royal Rumble? How about the most fun Rumble when factoring in surprise entrants, cool saves, and eliminations? 

Best Royal Rumble matches: 1992. 2001 with Kane's long run and good surprise entrants in Drew Carey, Honky Tonk Man and Haku. 2003 as Brock Lesnar made a grab to pull Undertaker back in. 2007 for Edge as the iron man and the best ever final two between the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels. 2008 as John Cena returns shocking all. Fans at MSG cheer in shock then go back to booing him.

8 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

He's the best all around wrestler in the company this year and has carried SDL in the main event, I'd say he deserves a marquee match.

8 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I'm with you. AJ Styles is the best all around wrestler in the WWE. 2016 the year of the phenomenal one.

40 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Best Rumble - 92

Best Royal Rumble show - 07

I can't figure out why they keep punting on Cena/Taker. Just makes no sense. Do it while Undertaker can still physically show up (too late to do it while he can still go I think) 

The two haven't went one on one since, what, '03? It's a money match with two guys who might be part timers but aren't outsiders. And there's just not much else to do with Taker. I mean Christ, Shane?!?

I dont understand no Undertaker vs. John Cena. Last Undertaker vs. John Cena match I remember was on Smackdown in June 2014.

10 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't even remember that happening.

Because it didn't

Last time they were in the ring together in a televised match was RAW on 11/16/09 when they tagged together

Their last singles match was Raw 10/9/06

Their "famous" match was Smackdown June 2004 - I have to assume this is the one Natural is talking about

• Like 1