DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Newest WON

Fuck. I've wanted to see The Undertaker vs. John Cena at WrestleMania for years before and after the end of the Streak. Shame it never happened during the Streak and when Cena had a zero in his WrestleMania record.

Blah at a Brock Lesnar vs. Bill Goldberg main event. I can see Roman Reigns closing WrestleMania three years running for the Reigns bug push.

8 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I can see Roman Reigns closing WrestleMania three years running for the Reigns bug push.

Can they really be that dumb? I assume they can but I'd be shocked if they actually did.

• Like 1

Well, if he wins the title at the Rumble, I'd definitely expect him to go on last at Mania. Only problem is, barring him turning, the only heel they've built up to face him is Strowman and I have absolutely no desire to see that at WM, especially not for the top title in the company.  I'd love to see him face Zayn since the match should be fantastic, but there's no chance of that happening. 

• Like 1

Vince had Roman made in a lab. The most perfect sports entertainer ever, the look and the genetics and the look (they did forget to include the ability to connect with real humans though it was an oversight). 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Bless your hearts for thinking that anything other than "My Time is Now" is closing the show.

I'm not usually one to come to John Cena's defense, but he hasn't closed the show since 2013, so that's not a given.

I also have a feeling his opponent will be

Spoiler

Samoa Joe

and I don't think they would close the show with that.

2 minutes ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

Is there a consensus best Royal Rumble? How about the most fun Rumble when factoring in surprise entrants, cool saves, and eliminations? 

The answer you will hear most is Best = 1992

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, The Z said:

I'm not usually one to come to John Cena's defense, but he hasn't closed the show since 2013, so that's not a given.

I also have a feeling his opponent will be

Reveal hidden contents

Samoa Joe

and I don't think they would close the show with that.

Is it realistic that they'll push that mystery man there in your spoiler tag?  Every time someone mentions booking him like a killer on the main roster and programming him with Cena or Lesnar (seriously???), I think they're just in the smart mark bubble.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Is it realistic that they'll push that mystery man there in your spoiler tag?  Every time someone mentions booking him like a killer on the main roster and programming him with Cena or Lesnar (seriously???), I think they're just in the smart mark bubble.

I could see Cena wanting to have the match,

Spoiler

they are truly two of the best of a generation and trained together when they were starting out so Cena might want to have a big match in that regard, it wouldn't have the same impact as ten years ago

I don't think it's far fetched for Cena to lobby for that match if he's not getting Taker. Now what they would happen after the match is a whole different story, but if he ended up on SDL I think he'd be treated alright. 

Spoilered to not give away any info on possible oppenent

16 minutes ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

Is there a consensus best Royal Rumble? How about the most fun Rumble when factoring in surprise entrants, cool saves, and eliminations? 

92 for Rumble itself.  91 for overall show, with how things were laid out to keep the crowd hot throughout.

I'm going to go ahead and say Samoa Joe right here, outside of the spoiler tags, since there is zero chance he is facing Cena at Mania. My guess (and hope) if they're moving away from the Taker match is that Cena-Styles gets prolonged until Mania to make it mean more and seem less sudden.

And Meltzer apparently said that a big Mania match for Joe is at least on the table.  So it's possible, though I don't think they really have any idea what the card is actually going to be outside of a few matches, so who the hell knows at this point?

I think there's good money to be made off of Lesnar vs Joe. Lesnar beats Goldberg at Fastlane, Heyman on Raw says there's no one for Lesnar to face, out comes Joe and then no one stops those two monsters from stiffing the shit out of each other.

Next week on Raw, we get a take off of the "REGAL!" promos, except with Lesnar and Heyman.

I also think the big money match is Cena vs Styles at WM, Career vs Title. Have AJ win at RR, Cena has to earn a shot at AJ, he earns his shot, but AJ tells Cena to put his career on the line. If WWE is serious about having an amazing match go on last at WM, then Cena vs AJ is better than anything else. Especially this version of Cena. Surly, "do you know who the fuck I am?" Cena has been the best Cena in years.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think there's good money to be made off of Lesnar vs Joe. Lesnar beats Goldberg at Fastlane, Heyman on Raw says there's no one for Lesnar to face, out comes Joe and then no one stops those two monsters from stiffing the shit out of each other.

This is the "smart mark bubble" stuff I was taking about.  When Vince looks at Samoa Joe, he definitely does not see a killer who deserves to be booked as the badass equal of Brock Lesnar.  (cue the Scott Steiner drops)

• Like 1

It's all about how it's booked. Anyone predicting anything AJ has done in his first full year in WWE would receive the same criticism, that it's whatever smart mark bubble shit you're talking about, and yet, here we are. Balor came up and won the title in his second or third match. The same criticism you levy towards Joe for his weight could be said about KO, and yet, KO pinned Cena clean, won the IC title, and won the Universal title.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

What was the year where Shannon Moore kept helping out Matt Hardy to keep him from being eliminated?!  Because I remember that one being spectacularly fun.

• Like 1