DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

WWE doesn't see NJPW as competition, and that pisses NJPW off. Right now, they are particularly pissed off about Nakamura. Liger worked Takeover as a NJPW talent. NJPW being pissed off is likely the reason we saw none of their guys in the CWC. I don't think WWE is necessarily against it.

My first assumption was it is an ego deal with New Japan. Its too bad, it would be a good thing for the talent like the Usos, who have been around for years but are still young men. They are getting the bitter old guys heel run while not being 30. 

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Why can't they share talent like WCW and New Japan did in the 90's to the benefit of everyone?

It's interesting to think about what kind of exchange would actually be worth it for both parties. It seems like WWE already has more talent than it knows what to do with. It's easy to think of WWE midcarders and NXT guys who might be able to rip it up in NJPW, given the chance to do a tour or two (Cesaro, Zayn, Sheamus, Rusev, Samoe Joe, The Revival, Mojo Rawley)--but what's in it for WWE?

Just now, MapRef41N93W said:

It's interesting to think about what kind of exchange would actually be worth it for both parties. It seems like WWE already has more talent than it knows what to do with. It's easy to think of WWE midcarders and NXT guys who might be able to rip it up in NJPW, given the chance to do a tour or two (Cesaro, Zayn, Sheamus, Rusev, Samoe Joe, The Revival, Mojo Rawley)--but what's in it for WWE?

Talent has a place to go to avoid stagnation. They would have easier access to talent they want, which seems to happen once a year.

They've already got someplace to send stagnant talent: NXT. They don't seem all that inclined to use it that way, but they did do it with Zack Ryder, and unlike NJPW, it would be a setting that they'd retain control over and that would maintain the house style.

And which New Japan talent does WWE want the sort of access to that they could get via talent exchange? Generally what they want are exclusive long-term contracts. I can't see any scenario in which they'd be willing to settle for getting Kenny Omega on excursion with strings attached.

I don't know why I'm arguing though, I'd love for something like that to happen. If anyone from WWE is reading this: Victator is right and I am wrong.

41 minutes ago, MapRef41N93W said:

They've already got someplace to send stagnant talent: NXT. They don't seem all that inclined to use it that way, but they did do it with Zack Ryder, and unlike NJPW, it would be a setting that they'd retain control over and that would maintain the house style.

And which New Japan talent does WWE want the sort of access to that they could get via talent exchange? Generally what they want are exclusive long-term contracts. I can't see any scenario in which they'd be willing to settle for getting Kenny Omega on excursion with strings attached.

I don't know why I'm arguing though, I'd love for something like that to happen. If anyone from WWE is reading this: Victator is right and I am wrong.

Well from the sounds of it, the hard feelings are not on WWE's end, it is New Japan wanting to big league WWE. 

WWE considers NXT a touring brand now. Sending a talent there is not sufficient to prevent stagnation. 

But again it seems the hard feelings are on the New Japan end. 

Okay, second attempt and correct thread this time!

Why on earth is WWE charging a hair under $50 for house show tickets as the cheapest option? I'm guessing they figure only hardcores will go, so charge as much as possible? I'm tempted to go, just so I can see AJ Styles but that's a decent chunk for shitty seats at a house show. I certainly don't remember spending near that 3 years ago when I last went.

Granted, this is in Canada, so it's probably some lint and pocket change in yankee dollars.

25 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Why on earth is WWE charging a hair under $50 for house show tickets as the cheapest option? I'm guessing they figure only hardcores will go, so charge as much as possible? I'm tempted to go, just so I can see AJ Styles but that's a decent chunk for shitty seats at a house show. I certainly don't remember spending near that 3 years ago when I last went.

Granted, this is in Canada, so it's probably some lint and pocket change in yankee dollars.

They have 20, 30 and 45 dollar seat options for their Winnipeg house show in February.

Edit: Are you looking for tickets for Abbotsford, or another show? There's 20 dollar seats for Abbotsford as well.

39 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Every House Show I've ever looked at/attended had cheap seats in the $15-20 range.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

They have 20, 30 and 45 dollar seat options for their Winnipeg house show in February.

Edit: Are you looking for tickets for Abbotsford, or another show? There's 20 dollar seats for Abbotsford as well.

Yeah, Abbotsford... Ah, they did have $20 options but they've sold out. The site I was looking at made it look like it was only $48 and up. Makes sense.

You going to the Peg show?

14 hours ago, DTTW said:

Given the history of wrestlers kids, it might be wise to not try and do what your daddy did. 

Keep in mind, though when saying "your kid"... it's Brock Lesnar  His kids would have two wrestling parents.

Would you rather see in 20 years the children of Brock Lesnar showing up in UFC or WWE/whatever promotion and laying waste to it, or...

...you're in a random bar, somewhere in Canada. You see out of the corner of your eyes one of the biggest people you've ever seen.

You want no trouble. You try to stay out of his way.

He wants trouble. He looks at you. 

You try to calm things down. You have the bartender send him whatever he's drinking.

It doesn't work.

He heads over to you. He's a monster made flesh. You have no hope.

He turns to you and says...

"THIS IS FOR ALL THE WOMEN WHO WANT TO BE ME, AND THE MEN WHO COME TO SEE ME! ARE YOU READY FOR THE GRIND????????????"

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Keep in mind, though when saying "your kid"... it's Brock Lesnar  His kids would have two wrestling parents.

Would you rather see in 20 years the children of Brock Lesnar showing up in UFC or WWE/whatever promotion and laying waste to it, or...

...you're in a random bar, somewhere in Canada. You see out of the corner of your eyes one of the biggest people you've ever seen.

You want no trouble. You try to stay out of his way.

He wants trouble. He looks at you. 

You try to calm things down. You have the bartender send him whatever he's drinking.

It doesn't work.

He heads over to you. He's a monster made flesh. You have no hope.

He turns to you and says...

"THIS IS FOR ALL THE WOMEN WHO WANT TO BE ME, AND THE MEN WHO COME TO SEE ME! ARE YOU READY FOR THE GRIND????????????"

Reading that I had no idea how much I wanted to see a She Was Mine Before She Was Yours feud between Brock and Johnny B Badd

• Like 1