DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

BTW - on the Kenny Omega front

Meltzer said on last night's radio show that the people he knows in New Japan have told him that they believe Omega has indeed re-signed with New Japan. (The quote was something like "They believe Omega is with them")

But Dave said that he hasn't confirmed that and Omega's current deal ends 1/31 and that it would be really odd for Cena to be doing these posts without knowing something (like when he did AJ last year - he knew AJ was already locked for Rumble)

But again - nothing confirmed and since his deal doesn't end till the 31st - even if he decided to go to WWE, he isn't showing up at Rumble

I took it as Cena fucking with excitable nerds. Like this... 

tumblr_mkyowhCqVB1r2ahfqo1_500.gif

Dave also said if Omega is back with NJPW, he won't be back until March. 

I remember there being a bit of news in NJPW restructuring their deals after last january. What did they change? That they finish at the end of the month and guys can't debut at the rumble? 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

“John Cena is one of the great WWE talents that I respect most,” said Omega. “If I were to end up there, working with someone of his caliber would certainly be a goal and jive with my mission of changing wrestling. I’m glad to be on his radar, but I haven’t made any decisions regarding my future yet.”

6 minutes ago, DTTW said:

How many 3 hour Raws have you gone back and watched start to finish?

I don't know the last time I watched a three hour Raw in its entirety once let alone go back. I know that Charlotte/Sasha falls count anywhere is the only thing I have watched from Raw since Survivor Series, life is better without Raw these days.

If he debuted at the Rumble, he would only have one day left on his old New Japan contract (given the time difference). Probably still won't happen, but... just throwing it out there. Theoretically, if his contracted ended on 1/31, he could debut on the 1/30 RAW show, and it would already be 1/31 in Japan.

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Did Rick Rude ever work babyface?  I can't remember his character ever turning babyface.  Rick Rood was a babyface-ish jobber in Memphis, but that barely counts.  WCW seemed to be teasing a babyface turn before he got injured, but obviously that never came to pass.

Who else in the past 30-40 years never turned in their career.  I can think of... Ricky Steamboat.. but I'm probably forgetting people.

Rude was not a jobber in Memphis. He was a main eventer during that time. He ended up being turned on by Bundy and J

The WWEs recent signings of name outside talent has a lot of parallels to my life. New packages seem to come to my door each day (ordered by a certain love of my life).  We don't need all this stuff. We never knew what to do with the stuff we already had.  Why buy more when half the things you own still have tags?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

If he debuted at the Rumble, he would only have one day left on his old New Japan contract (given the time difference). Probably still won't happen, but... just throwing it out there. Theoretically, if his contracted ended on 1/31, he could debut on the 1/30 RAW show, and it would already be 1/31 in Japan.

Dear god lets not give the Hulkster more reasons to come out of hiding and brag about how he did it better.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I remember there being a bit of news in NJPW restructuring their deals after last january. What did they change? That they finish at the end of the month and guys can't debut at the rumble? 

NJPW always have expired at the end of January. Styles was able to debut before that because he wasn't actually under a written contract. 

What's allegedly changing is that everybody will be on multi-year deals, rather than just annual deals. Although if they're smart, they'll stagger them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Think Rude had a brief angle with the Honky Tonk Man in about 1991 before jumping to WCW about who was the greatest Intercontinental champion of all time, where he was the face by default?

I was wondering when the hell Rumble was ever in WWF until I realized that the clip was from IWCCW.

55 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Cena should win the title using the One Winged Angel at the Rumble.

But only after he hits AJ with a Swiffer Sweeper, the 5 Knuckle shuffle, and a declaration that, "This is my broom stick!"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I.... I... have no memory of Rick Rude having angles in Memphis.  

I am getting old.

Rick Rude was a Mid-South jobber who was part of a trade to Memphis to help freshen up both territories (Rock n Roll Express, Midnight Express & Jim Cornette went to Mid-South, Rude, Jim Neidhart and Masaio Ito went to Memphis.)  And seriously, what a one-sided trade...

He was in Memphis in 1984 who joined the First Family where his most famous angle was Jerry Lawler piledriving his valet after a match.  Rude eventually turned face, and in what few shows I've seen, he was awful at it, because he still sounded like a totally smug dick.   He turned face in Memphis in the fall and was back as a heel in Florida by that winter.