DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Or:

Uchida pissed off Harada with his "I don't want help" shit which resulted in Suzuki coming back and throwing booking into minor upheaval so Omega has nothing to do for a cycle or two so he's gonna float around a bit until the BC/Suzuki-gun feud starts up.

Float around?  If I were still under contract, I'd cheerfully sit at home for two or three months and collect paychecks until the book figured out what they wanted to do.

• Like 2

Didn't Omega just reup with NJPW for this year already?  I'm more thinking he's trolling like the Bucks and doing some other stuff while the Okada/Suzuki program plays out.

1 hour ago, Raziel403 said:

Didn't Omega just reup with NJPW for this year already?  I'm more thinking he's trolling like the Bucks and doing some other stuff while the Okada/Suzuki program plays out.

I think so.  More importantly, it wasn't too long ago that Kenny gave that interview where he said that being "a cog in the WWE machine would be the worst shit ever."

If there is one thing that the folks in New Haven are really good at, it's holding a grudge and there is a really good likelihood that Kenny has burned his WWE bridge before he'd even crossed it..  If Cornette were still with WWE, Omega could definitely write off any chance of getting signed.

The more I think about it, the more likely it seems that all of his tweets probably translate into him taking some time off to rest up or working a few dates in ROH with the Young Bucks until the Okada / Suzuki program blows off.

13 minutes ago, Josh Mann said:

There's probably as much of a grain of working the indie fans as there is a grain of truth to what Omega said. It can be both at the same time. 

I think the problem of living in the era of fake news is that people have ADD when it comes to news feeds. 

A headline like Is Kenny Omega Heading To The WWE following a cryptic tweet is sure to get people talking because smarks love to speculate about shit.

The issue is that if you really paid attention to the nasty things that came out of Omega's own mouth about the WWE after AJ, Gallows, and Anderson left, you could safely bet that Kenny would never get singed to be their NXT or CW ace, much less get a job as a ring crew guy in the WWE.

Then again, the potential to make money paves the way for a lot of forgiveness and reconciliation, so we'll see what happens.

I am pretty sure that if I posted something dumb on Facebook or Yelp about a potential employer I was trying to get a job with and they could directly attribute those comments to me, I could kiss the prospect of getting hired goodbye.

I think if anything Omega's character in WWE would be helped by what he's saying - the man too good to be here.

Besides, if it wouldn't really surprise you if Punk came back to.the WWE, how could a little shit-talking hurt Omega?

If Kenny Omega was hit by a bus and was laying on the street, only hardcore wrestling fans would recognize him.

I've seen enough impossible happen. Sammartino, Warrior, Madusa, Goldberg, Bret... Even Savage to a lesser extent. Omega will eventually be in a WWE ring. I'd wager at some point Punk will be too. It's an industry. Things are improbable, not impossible.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

If Kenny Omega was hit by a bus and was laying on the street, only hardcore wrestling fans would recognize him.

True, but if WWE made a play for him, it would likely be because of his recognition in Japan.  That's a market they've been lusting after for 30 years.  Omega would be sent to NXT to court international subscribers for the Network, just like Nakamura, who probably isn't getting out of Orlando until they can find someone to replace him.  (Ibushi's refusal to sign is probably at least one of the reasons Nak isn't getting called up anytime soon.)

39 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

True, but if WWE made a play for him, it would likely be because of his recognition in Japan.  That's a market they've been lusting after for 30 years.  Omega would be sent to NXT to court international subscribers for the Network, just like Nakamura, who probably isn't getting out of Orlando until they can find someone to replace him.  (Ibushi's refusal to sign is probably at least one of the reasons Nak isn't getting called up anytime soon.)

No, it'll be because of his abilities. Omega is enough of a talent that it won't matter where he's wrestled. And Nak will be there on the main roster sooner than later.

The 'E has enough international talent to move the needle... the greater concern is the signing talent just to sit because they don't want New Japan or ROH to have them.

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

True, but if WWE made a play for him, it would likely be because of his recognition in Japan.  That's a market they've been lusting after for 30 years.

It has to be longer than that doesn't it? Didn't a Japanese wrestling match get like a 70.0 rating once?

Curious about something. Every once and a while we hear about "leaked" contract details. Where are these "leaks" supposed to be coming from? The only people who should know the details would be office people and talent right? Pretty sure office would be worried about keeping a job and wouldn't risk it over something so trivial as props from internet wrestling geeks. Talent might say something, but then what's the point of saying it's a leak vs superstar X says his contract has the following details. So where is this information coming from? Someone just spinning something Meltzer said?

Saw this on Reddit. Apparently this was from the 1/6/17 edition of Bryan & Vinny.

Bryan: Not everybody, obviously, but a whole bunch of people in WWE creative all watched the Kenny Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada match. And the idea today is, now, they want a great main event at WrestleMania.

Vinny: Oh, now they decided to have a good main event?

Bryan: Well, they want to close the show with like a great match. So I guess that eliminates Braun Strowman from main-eventing.

I'm just picturing some of these guys trying to show some of the match to Vince and them trying to sway him away from anything involving Roman Reigns once again.

STYLES IS GOING ON FIRST NOW.

• Like 2

Yea this is New Japan's dead zone so if he needed some time off, this would be probably the best couple months to take it.

But I wouldn't be concerned about him burning a bridge with WWE, as mentioned I think only three people ever have permanently burned bridges with WWE (Jarrett, Savage, and Chyna) and there are dozens more that said/did far worse than Omega that WWE welcomed. Vince generally cares more about making money than staying mad. He may job you out after you sign, but he'll give you that contract.

Oh and I would assume many people watched WK11 within WWE. Cesaro was tweeting about it for one. They have a ton of ex-New Japan stars or just plain fans of Japanese wrestling. But I am not sure anyone feels the need to try to replicate the main.

If they did go in that direction, who gets the spot?  AJ and Cena?

• Like 1