DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Just now, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Did they ever do anything with Shane's blackmail threat?  Y'know, like reveal what he had on Vince.

It's a stack of film reels showing the Invasion angle going in the right direction, Austin not turning heel at WM 17, and clips from a successful Cena heel run. They all have titles like "The TL Hopper Flies High." Vince has hundreds more, but those were the ones Shane was able to steal and lock away.

• Like 3

That was the oddest promo/stipulation/result in recent memory. Either something in their plans radically changed (like the rumor that Taker was supposed to lose but wouldn't, which I find unlikely) or its just an example of WWE booking week to week with no long term planning.

• Like 2

The whole blackmail thing wasn't even necessary.  What if Shane came back, demanded a spot managing Raw, and Vince said he could have it if he won a match?  See how much simpler that is and how much better it works?  It took 28 writers and Vince McMahon himself to actually create a much more convoluted story, one that made no sense at all.

21 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Did they ever do anything with Shane's blackmail threat?  Y'know, like reveal what he had on Vince.

I thought because Shane lost the match, he couldn't reveal it. And they tried to tie it up by Vince walking away with the "stuff" on a backstage skit the night after Mania. Or did I dream that?

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I know you're just trying to shit on WWE like always, but Warrior in 98 WCW could have made the company money. The issue was that they only brought him in to put Hogan over.

Don't assume son.

I was 1000% for a Warrior return. I still am. (a bit harder now-a-days) But everyone with name value tends to get big return pops. That's how that gimmick works. It does not indicate that it will draw money. 

I bet Gilberg would get a pop too, but that doesn't mean he needs a mania spot.

34 minutes ago, DTTW said:

I was 1000% for a Warrior return. I still am. (a bit harder now-a-days) But everyone with name value tends to get big return pops. That's how that gimmick works. It does not indicate that it will draw money.

But Shane vs. Taker, by all accounts, *did* draw despite the shitty booking, just as Warrior could have been more of a draw in 98 if WCW hadn't gone all WCW about it. It's just not a good comparison. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would get a kick out of Gillberg showing up on RAW to be squashed by Goldberg, either. 

2 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

But Shane vs. Taker, by all accounts, *did* draw despite the shitty booking, just as Warrior could have been more of a draw in 98 if WCW hadn't gone all WCW about it. It's just not a good comparison. 

I'd agree except for that whole WRESTLEMANIA itself being a draw factor. If it was on a B show and drew monstrous numbers, ok, but that show was going to sell no matter what the booking ways.

Now, did that match help draw in any other undeniable way.....ehhh not enough that I'd warrant saying it was worth one of takers last matches. 

From the way Vince acted when Shane "blackmailed" him, it seemed like the secret involved something Vince didn't want Stephanie to know.  I kinda thought Shane was going to blackmail Vince with the info that Stephanie wasn't really a McMahon or something equally tasteless.

If that was where they were going with that, I'm not unhappy they scrapped the idea.

21 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I kinda thought Shane was going to blackmail Vince with the info that Stephanie wasn't really a McMahon or something equally tasteless.

If that was where they were going with that, I'm not unhappy they scrapped the idea.

Tasteless....you call that idea tasteless. The guy wanted a storyline about screwing his own daughter. That idea was tasteless, blackmail over fake genetic results is pretty classy in comparison.

39 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I was so sure that the slingshot powerbomb was something Miz just started using when he was getting hot this year. And yet there it is, July 25, 2011 vs Rey Mysterio. Yet another example of me sleeping on the A-lister. 

Rey's been taking that move forever, though. I remember Ultimo using it on him in 96.

3 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would get a kick out of Gillberg showing up on RAW to be squashed by Goldberg, either. 

Could have sworn that happened during his last run?

You also can customize King as Okada and it has him do the Rainmaker.

New Japan is doing all the cool cross promotion everyone else should be jumping on between this and Yakuza having a New Japan wrestler gang.  WWE will never be in touch enough to do something like that

• Like 1

another question for you all.. 

pretend for a minute that from Vince snr moving away from the NWA till the start of Raw in 1993 that the WWF maintained the same format of 12 PPVs and six hours of TV a week that they have now. 

Who is the biggest beneficiary of that and whose legacy is somewhat tarnished as a result?