DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

"A lot of people say it was money, but it wasn't. It was a family thing," "Hunter told me they'd run 100-125 shows over the next two years. My wife wanted to have another kid, but she had to do shots, and I had to be at home a lot more. It was a decision: do I go and live this crazy of wrestling in the WWE or do I stay home and help my wife have another child that she wants? I decided that my family was what is really important to me." - James Storm, from the GFW conference call. 

okp66FD.gif

• Like 2

Along those lines, every time I see Matt Hardy, I wonder why he's at a house show in Tupelo or wherever tonight, his gimmick is tied up in court, and his wife is at home with two infants.  Hardys were supposedly making good money on the indys, selling their own merch.  Do they need the extra cash that badly?  I'd want to be home with my kids.

37 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Along those lines, every time I see Matt Hardy, I wonder why he's at a house show in Tupelo or wherever tonight, his gimmick is tied up in court, and his wife is at home with two infants.  Hardys were supposedly making good money on the indys, selling their own merch.  Do they need the extra cash that badly?  I'd want to be home with my kids.

A decade ago I thought Christian was going to be the blueprint for the future of TNA. TNA would be a perfect place for WWE guys who still had it but desired a more relaxed schedule for whatever reason (health, family, etc.)  They finally had a place where you could still make a living and at the same time pull off a healthy work/life balance. 

The Storm stuff sounds like bs. When Storm showed up for his cup of coffee in nxt it was a different era.  Guys were being brought in for low money deals with no expectation of getting moved up to the main roster. There was no template for what WWE would do with ex-talents on the wrong side of 35.  Storm was 38 and didn't show up in great shape. He probably felt his trajectory was limited and opted to go home for some sweet sweet guaranteed money. I would've done the same thing. 

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

"A lot of people say it was money, but it wasn't. It was a family thing," "Hunter told me they'd run 100-125 shows over the next two years. My wife wanted to have another kid, but she had to do shots, and I had to be at home a lot more. It was a decision: do I go and live this crazy of wrestling in the WWE or do I stay home and help my wife have another child that she wants? I decided that my family was what is really important to me." - James Storm, from the GFW conference call. 

Something about the whole quote just doesn't sit well with me.  "Its not about the money, it was about family," but then he doesn't pony up to sharing the wife's enthusiasm for another child. 

4 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Rat lifespans are only a year or two, depending on the type of rat.  So those rats are at least  the great-great-great-great grandsons of the rats that originally tried to get out of TNA during the weekly PPV era.

That should be the company slogan: "Impact Wrestling.  We've been making even rats miserable for generations."

I almost spat my drink all over my keyboard reading this.  Well-played, sir.

• Haha 1

Storm was still under contract to TNA but he got an unconditional release cause Big was legit terrible at being shoot GM and had probably just given Bram two new  contracts that week so he needed to free up some funds.  Storm kept appearing on TNA TV at the time cause they taped that World Title Series mess ahead of time.  He did a couple of NXT shots and got a big crowd reaction so WWE offered him a deal.  At the same time TNA was trying to re-sign AJ Styles.  They of course failed to re-sign AJ Styles so Storm won out and got a better deal than he had prior cause TNA was desperate to have a big surprise for the new year which ended up being the Beer Money reunion.  And then Big let Roode go a couple of months later.

The company's not exactly growing but they're as financially stable as they've been since Panda days.  Everybody's gotten paid on time but Taylor Wilde used to work at the Sunglass Hut so never stop tolling the death knell.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2017 at 6:38 AM, RIPPA said:

Per Meltzer - the company claims that TV tapings will be in major cities now, citing Toronto, NY and Chicago

He did say most of the workers are skeptical of that and figure all the tapings are going to be in Canada now since they are getting the tax breaks to film there.

All those Canuck Pro shows fell through, TNA needs to slide in and take them. Easier to fill 200-seat venues than tarp off 3400-seat venues.

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

All those Canuck Pro shows fell through, TNA needs to slide in and take them. Easier to fill 200-seat venues than tarp off 3400-seat venues.

That wouldn't actually be a bad idea. Wonder if they could book some of the same wrestlers who were booked for the shows that haven't gotten replacement bookings yet. I know Live Events aren't a top priority for them but what the hell just do it.

Just now, Web Conn said:

That wouldn't actually be a bad idea. Wonder if they could book some of the same wrestlers who were booked for the shows that haven't gotten replacement bookings yet. I know Live Events aren't a top priority for them but what the hell just do it.

Several of the guys are ROH or decidedly non-Global guys, so it would be tough. Ironically, Eddie Kingston was to be featured and he just left Global.

Just now, Marty Sugar said:

Several of the guys are ROH or decidedly non-Global guys, so it would be tough. Ironically, Eddie Kingston was to be featured and he just left Global.

Touche. I also think the October shows (21st, 28th and 29th) might be too close to get book em. But the November and December shows yeah go for it. I'd try to make a go for the October shows too. 

In reality, the October shows should've been the biggest red flag because after months of hyping their BIG DEBUT! shows as being November 17/18, they added this October 21 show and then out of nowhere  the October 28/29 weekend with less fanfare and less time to prepare. Obviously they didn't need to prepare anything but cute graphics, though...

The Streaming Service is up - ironically being called Global Wrestling Network

https://www.fightful.com/impact-streaming-service-gwn-now-live-content-independent-promotions?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Reddit user achtungbaby8 posted on r/SquaredCircle that Global Wrestling Network, home of the TNA/GFW library, now has shows from Border City Wrestling, SMASH Wrestling, and classic wrestling such as Wrestling at the Chase as part of their library. 

SMASH followed up to say that their stuff is still on their on on-demand service, Highspots and PROGRESS and that Impact's service just has "Some of their best matches"

It is $7.99 a month - which they fucking bury. I had to go into their FAQ to find that. None of their promotional material mentions it just SIGN UP FOR 30 DAYS FREE!!!!

30 minutes ago, Thibs said:

Why is it a bad thing that they’re promoting Hogan as part of their archived footage?

Especially since they were drawing almost the numbers Raw is doing today when he was there. 

I may just be guessing here but it could have something to do with Hulk's brand being slightly tainted in recent years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Fight Network had the newest episode of XPlosion and most of it was an old match for the TNA World Title between Magnus and Eric Young...instead of people that actually work there or whatever.

Then the "Unfinished Business" program (which for those of you unaware is old TNA highlights that usually focus on a feud/angle/random TNA garbage posing as angles), and it  had a 5-way ladder match for the X-Division Title with Sabin, Joe, Suicide, Jeff Hardy and Aries. Sounds good on paper, but the match had some horrendously sloppy botches by Jeff (who just wasn't able to keep up with the rest of the guys), so guys like Sabin just started roughly botching the simplest of moves and grossly dumping Jeff on his head. It was gnarly...and who RE-airs this shit on TV? I have lots of local footage that when it comes time to air, I take one look and say NOPE...and it's got way less botches then Jeff on one of his bad days.

Yeah, Jeff's first TNA run was dog shit.  When you're working in a tag match against Scott Hall and Kevin Nash in 2005, and you are clearly the worst performer in the match, you need to think about some of your life choices.

Though some of Jeff's matches against Abyss were pretty fun.