DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

10 hours ago, MisterPhil21 said:

I have no love for this broken nonsense, but it makes little to no sense to me when you are bending over backwards to try to restore goodwill with your fan base to try to squash and get money from literally the only thing that kept you afloat during the darkest of times. It would be hard to argue that if Matt and Jeff had not gone along on the magical mystery tour that there would even be an Impact wrestling. Let the Hardys go make their money and use your time and energy to make stars on your shows that people want to watch

The problem is that in the process of the "hardys making their money" it benefits brands that they're trying to compete with like ROH. Potentially Lucha down the road. Imagine if they took this gimmick to Lucha. 

When Vince doesn't allow Cody to use the name Rhodes he gains (or loses) absolutely nothing because he's so far ahead of everyone else. But he does it anyway.

In this case, you have a bunch of indies who are relatively on the same level and I'm sure Nordholm sees this as a way of blocking a revenue stream for competitors. Or at least he wants a piece of the pie. 

Or something.

well if you watch the Don West stuff on the TV show or online 90% of the stuff he is selling is from wrestlers who haven't been in the company for years.  5% is Jarrett shit (gotta sell those guitars), and maybe if lucky we will see the current stars.   My favorite was when they were selling a deal on 8x10 photos and of the 10 then they selling maybe 1 had been in TNA in the last year.   They were promoting AJ Styles and Sting DVD just as they were being pushed in the WWE.

So using that marketing logic, they would definitely want the name of the Hardy's gimmick to sell that merchandise.  Especially if they end up going to the WWE.   They have to make money somewhere since they are too stupid to run house shows or even $5 for their TV tapings

• Like 1

Would they be allowed to charge at universal even if they wanted to?

if they were smart, they'd pick 3-4 big college campuses and run (or build they're own) 1000-3000 seat arenas, alternating every month or so. Pack those things with drunk college kids (charging $5-10 bucks for tickets) and you have a rabid atmosphere for tv. 

I never understood the argument that running tv in different places is too expensive. You need to do everything in your power to improve the tv atmosphere. Like what's the point of spending big $$$ on talent when your atmosphere makes them look like shit.

22 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

Do you really think the economically sensible thing to do would be to build their own 3000 seat arenas?

Well, to me, the premise of this argument is they will absolutely not grow unless they get in front of paying customers. If you disagree with that, then we fundamentally disagree.

IMO, unless they get out of that studio, everything else they do is completely pointless. So at that point, you ask yourself what the best way is to do it. They tried touring traditionally-- it didn't work. 

Have you seen how much Anthem and specifically their owner are worth? If not, check it out. Building a small warehouse type arena near a college campus somewhere wouldn't break the bank. 

Its an investment. If Anthem legit wants to make them grow, they need to pump some money into it on the front end. 

Building an arena isn't exactly something you can do on a whim, or very cheaply. Construction can take forever, and there's all kinds of zoning laws and property taxes to consider. Most sports teams have to con cities into footing the bill for them for a new arena, and even something small would end up costing Anthem well over seven figures. It would be cheaper to lease an existing building than build one outright, even then they have a lot of other issues to deal with on the small scale before dealing with the Impact Zone, like the fact that they are hemorrhaging talent or the fact that their creative sucks.

• Like 1

Has there been any talk about moving Impact HQ out of Nashville? Maybe to New York or Toronto? Since Anthem has offices in both or those cities? Or would that been too much of a hassle since TNA has a tax lien on them from Tennessee Irwin R Shyster?

• Like 1

Mike Johnson mentioned a few weeks ago that they were considering moving the HQ to Toronto. New York would be smart.

If you've read the spoilers they're okay on the talent front (even if some won't like all of the talent).

Leasing could work. Idk, I just think that the number one long term priority is improving the TV atmosphere and figuring out a creative way to do it. Especially if they go back to Spike (paramount?). 

NXT was once the hottest wrestling show out there, and they tape pretty much every week at Full Sail. The difference is, they have a passionate fanbase who cares about the product. If the Impact Zone were full of rabid fans, the production would come off as much more exciting.

They need to fix the product and the fact that no one cares about it one way or the other before they hit the road to do TV so they can spend a bunch more money to perform in front of a few disinterested fans and plenty of empty seats. They've already got disinterested fans in Orlando, why spend the extra money?

NXT (correct me if I'm wrong) charges for their shows. They're not part of a theme park that is a stay over in between coaster rides.

They had a really good creative most of last year and that didn't change the atmosphere because the people inside were still tourists. 

I'm not complaining about the size of the venue. Its the location. If they could find another singular small location that they could run (and charge a modest ticket price) without burning it out, I'd be all for it. 

But if Impact, you know, had fans in Orlando, they'd go to the shows and cheer like the NXT fans do. They may have had a really good creative run over the last year (dunno, didn't watch), but people have given up on this turkey years ago. It's gonna take a lot of bridge rebuilding before setting out on a tour of or doing TV at 5,000-seat venues, 4,500 of those seats they couldn't fill at gunpoint.

1 minute ago, jstout said:

But if Impact, you know, had fans in Orlando, they'd go to the shows and cheer like the NXT fans do. They may have had a really good creative run over the last year (dunno, didn't watch), but people have given up on this turkey years ago. It's gonna take a lot of bridge rebuilding before setting out on a tour of or doing TV at 5,000-seat venues, 4,500 of those seats they couldn't fill at gunpoint.

Fair enough can't argue with much of that.  They've been in Orlando for so long though that a change of scenery is needed.

Regarding NXT though, I've seen plenty of their shows that had crowds just as bad if not worse than the impact zone in terms of silence.

I agree with jstout's point. Fixing the rot in a wrestling promotion takes an awful long time. I actually believe this to be the one important takeaway from Alvarez's Death of WCW book. It takes time for both the rot to set in and to mend it. The stank is so pungent on TNA it will take years and years to negate pretty much their entire existence's worth of shitty decision making. And going off this week's show and the decision to go after the Hardys, it doesn't look promising.

I thought Don Callis had a pretty interesting idea for a business model for Impact or any non-WWE promotion. He would spend the bulk of his talent budget on about 6 main guys to get them as exclusives. The rest of the shows would be filled out by guys on per-show deals. That way you'd constantly cycle in fresh people and keep costs down.

You do that for a year or two while you try to rebuild the promotion.

2 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

Building an arena isn't exactly something you can do on a whim, or very cheaply. Construction can take forever, and there's all kinds of zoning laws and property taxes to consider. Most sports teams have to con cities into footing the bill for them for a new arena, and even something small would end up costing Anthem well over seven figures. It would be cheaper to lease an existing building than build one outright, even then they have a lot of other issues to deal with on the small scale before dealing with the Impact Zone, like the fact that they are hemorrhaging talent or the fact that their creative sucks.

Booker T bought part of a mall and turned it into an arena for his promotion.  He rents it out to a local boxing promoter every once in a while, so that helps with the overhead.  It's not a huge place, but it's nice and a few hundred people can fit in there for a show.  If an indy promoter can do it, so can TNA.

• Like 2

On 11/03/2017 at 9:17 PM, Casey said:

Nordholm also tweeted saying Jeremy Borash, Dave Lagana and Billy Corgan created the characters, which should give further insight into why he’s standing firm.

Is Corgan's legal issue with TNA settled? Because if not, if you're saying he created a gimmick that you're trying to claim as yours (especially if he was under the impression he was running the company at the time)... he could claim for a share of the ownership of the Broken gimmick... and thus force Brother Nero Hardy to become the Smashing Pumpkins' new rhythm guitarist against his will. They could be the touring band champions who do not get along.

• Like 2

Alternatively, the intro to Today could be performed by King Maxel and his Extraordinary Xylophone. Which is a good name for a band in it's own right.

The whole Broken thing has left a sour taste in my mouth to be honest. It's not TNA's IP because Hardy conceived, developed and presented it himself (and had *ahem* creative control). All TNA did was give him a platform to air it, ergo there's no claim surely.

It would be like me letting Orson Welles stage a play he has written and directed at my theatre and me then claiming it was my intellectual property and he couldn't stage it anywhere else.