DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

Moose is probably the only guy IMPACT's got locked down at this point.

Speaking of Lockdown, they didn't do one this year.  Two Victory Roads though since they tacked the name onto the Knockouts Knockdown ONO show for no discernible reason.  It's weird they didn't even do a Lethal Lockdown match in a year when WWE brings back War Games, sort of.  And TNA did two last year.  Both with Maria Kanellis-Bennett as an official participant though.

GFW Amped Anthology concludes tomorrow.  They also started selling DVDs of the first part on ShoPimpAct.com.

Listened to D’amore and Callis on Jericho’s podcast. Same old stuff.

We don’t want to be WWE lite but we’re perfectly fine being New Japan and Indy lite.

We want an athletic style in the ring aka flips and dives with no rhyme or reason. 

We’ll see but I’m not very optimistic. I’m not sure how trying to copy what the indies and japan are doing is any different than copying WWE. Its actually worse. 

1 hour ago, Thibs said:

Listened to D’amore and Callis in Jericho’s podcast. Same old stuff.

We don’t want to be WWE lite but we’re perfectly fine being New Japan and Indy lite.

We want an athletic style in the ring aka flips and dives with no rhyme or reason. 

We’ll see but I’m not very optimistic. I’m not sure how trying to copy what the indies and japan are doing is any different than copying WWE. Its actually worse. 

But where did they eat lunch? That's the question the people have a right to know the answer to...

• Like 1

I know people are saying that it's funny that Dixie ran this thing better than Anthem, but here's what I think: this is TNA without the money mark sinking 4-5 million dollars a year into it. Impact is shrinking back to what it has to be, a small Indy on a terrible television network. While I disagree with releasing IP's and maybe getting involved at all, They can't sign guys to contracts and allowing people to bring in/develop their own gimmick may be one of the only pluses to working there.

On 12/10/2017 at 1:40 PM, joseph2112 said:

They can't sign guys to contracts and allowing people to bring in/develop their own gimmick may be one of the only pluses to working there.

Yeah, I get the "Protect IP" argument, but TNA probably has more to gain from being wrestler- (and fan-) friendly and letting guys keep their gimmicks.  Companies going after wrestlers for gimmick infringement never plays well with the fans (*cough* Chikara Lucha Underground * cough cough*) and workers may be more disposed to work for Chikara if they can work their existing gimmick or keep a working gimmick after they move on.

• 2 weeks later...

TNA had a women's match when they went to Abu Dhabi in 2010.  The first Knockouts Champion was crowned in a gauntlet battle royal in 2007.  There was an all Knockouts Lethal Lockdown match last year.  The women regularly main event Impact.  An all Knockouts PPV event pretty much every year.  A female owner for over a decade.

I don't know what's worse, WWE's self-congratulatory history-making feminism or that TNA actually beat them to the punch at pretty much every aspect of it and have never been smart enough to know how to exploit that to their benefit.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BEN! said:

TNA had a women's match when they went to Abu Dhabi in 2010. 

I think the distinction they were going with is that TNA's event was a private event and WWE's was a public event.  Even with that I'm still baffled how that discredits TNA doing it first.

On one hand, TNA absolutely deserves credit. For years, the one thing they did better than WWE was women's wrestling.

On the other, there a reason why so many women who used to work for them essentially hung up on them when they called about that first Knockouts ppv

• RIPPA locked, unfeatured and unpinned this topic