DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

The LVN rumors are a pretty good reason why Anthem SHOULD fight to keep ownership over IP. 

That gimmick is tailor made for WWE and the second she realizes she can take it with her she wants out. 

Not that Impact isn't' already doomed, but if people start to think that the whole point of Impact is to go and workshop a character to get ready for WWE they'll never be able to build a roster. 

Also, on KTT, Callis said that him and D'amore will be on Jericho's podcast this weekend talking about the deal. He alluded that Chris helped facilitate things, too. 

Speaking of LVN - Meltzer was talking about this over the weekend

Basically - she waited to till the last day of the tapings after they had already made their decision about the women's title to give her notice and they were like "umm... why didn't you tell us on the first day. And she was like "oh I guess I should have done that".

So that is why she will work the next tapings and then be done.

Just now, Raziel403 said:

Callis signed with Impact... great, the English NJPW broadcasts just got 100% better.

Aww... you didn't read the part when he is still going to be doing them

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Hagan said:

The LVN rumors are a pretty good reason why Anthem SHOULD fight to keep ownership over IP. 

That gimmick is tailor made for WWE and the second she realizes she can take it with her she wants out. 

Not that Impact isn't' already doomed, but if people start to think that the whole point of Impact is to go and workshop a character to get ready for WWE they'll never be able to build a roster. 

Also, on KTT, Callis said that him and D'amore will be on Jericho's podcast this weekend talking about the deal. He alluded that Chris helped facilitate things, too. 

What was interesting was watching her work the LVN gimmick as a babyface this past weekend at AWS... Where her champagne bottle was completely legit (She gave it to a fan.)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Speaking of LVN - Meltzer was talking about this over the weekend

Basically - she waited to till the last day of the tapings after they had already made their decision about the women's title to give her notice and they were like "umm... why didn't you tell us on the first day. And she was like "oh I guess I should have done that".

So that is why she will work the next tapings and then be done.

Not that Impact gets a ton of the benefit of the doubt in how they treat talent but that's pretty unprofessional on her part. It looks like she wanted to get out right at the peak of her push and when she was hottest. Just bad form, even if she's dropping the belt at the next taping.  

• Like 2

https://www.f4wonline.com/tna-news/scott-damore-don-callis-named-executive-vps-impact-wrestling-247416

Impact Wrestling announced two additions to their executive team this morning.

Scott D'Amore, who had already been working with Impact, and Don Callis were named executive vice presidents of the company. They join Ed Nordholm on a three-member executive committee that will handle the responsibility of "developing the creative direction for the company and managing the execution of the company’s business plan."

Impact's press release notes that Callis will continue in his role as color commentator for New Japan Pro Wrestling. Callis has filled that spot on the English-language broadcast team next to Kevin Kelly since January following the departure of Steve Corino.

Callis clarified reports that he'd be leaving New Japan for Impact in November by saying that he'll be with NJPW for as long as they want him. Dave Meltzer reported then that it wasn't out of the question that Callis would end up with Impact in a behind-the-scenes role at some point while still maintaining his job with NJPW.

“I am excited that Don and Scott have made this commitment to the company,” Nordholm said. “The 50 years of experience and success in the wrestling industry brought by Don and Scott, combined with the global media, marketing, sales and financial expertise of Anthem, provide the management depth and expertise that will propel Impact Wrestling to greater success as we continue to expand our footprint, embrace digital opportunities and grow the brand."

Jeff Jarrett had led the creative side of Impact until his leave of absence, with the promotion later announcing the end of their business relationship with him.

Don't they basically pay Pop AND attempt to sell advertising?

Meltzer was strongly hinting that last time they signed a new deal, and may have said that outright.  But people involved with TNA were disputing his claims, and I don't remember if it was really clarified.  Meltzer's version seemed more likely to me, though.

In any case, I've never gotten the impression TNA costs Pop much.

Laurel Van Ness, earlier in her career, was pretty bad for not communicating with promotions. I had her work for me once, and then repeatedly got "I'll let you know next week if I'm available for that next show," only to chase her down for weeks until I gave up after the third or fourth time of "oh yeah, I'm not available...I should've told you" type of BS.  Doesn't surprise me she'd do that still.

• Like 2

I would have thought that Lance would have drilled into her head how properly communicate with promotions.  Seems like basic common sense and decency, but in wrestling if you do that enough that's not a good look for one's reputation.

14 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Haven't seen this posted, but with D'Amore and Callis coming in, both Dutch Mantell & Big Gaburick are both departing Impact.  

I'm liking Impact a lot more as a Canadian indy with relationships with Mexican and Japanese promotions rather than continuing to pretend they're some kind of threat to WWE.

• Like 1

We all knew this already but Meltzer said that TNA isn't gonna be resigning any of their big money guys so expect Eddie Edwards to be dropping the title at the next taping

On 12/6/2017 at 6:12 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

I would have thought that Lance would have drilled into her head how properly communicate with promotions.  Seems like basic common sense and decency, but in wrestling if you do that enough that's not a good look for one's reputation.

I haven't trained with Lance, but I know he definitely doesn't train rookies how to set up or tear down a ring...

EDIT: I'm being snide but in reality, Lance has churned out so many trainees that you can't expect them all to be professional, exceptional, or better than anywhere else. It's a major school with monster classes. Chelsea (Laurel) got pushed very quickly at a young age and she, IMHO, has a superstar attitude because of it. It happens. It's unavoidable in this business.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

We all knew this already but Meltzer said that TNA isn't gonna be resigning any of their big money guys so expect Eddie Edwards to be dropping the title at the next taping

I had no idea TNA still had "big money guys".  Who else would be part of that group?

James Storm

Bobby Lashley

EC3

Eddie Edwards

Storm is already done - the last set of tapings (which is the stuff airing now) was his last stuff and he is now accepting indie bookings

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Lashley, EC3...I'm sure Alberto and Johnny Mundo aren't coming cheap either.

But Alberto and Mundo are working under the new "per appearance" deals that TNA now does.

The guys I mentioned all have the old deals

Would Edwards go back to ROH? The first inclination would be he goes to NXT but how many more guys can WWE possibly fit there? Shouldn't it become a numbers game at some point?