DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Vince is probably drooling at the opportunity. Everyone else, not so much. 

Thank you, I surely can't be the only one that is bored to tears with Brock half-assing his way through major events and pulling the whole show down, as for Lashley, he's always reminded me of a less-talented Big E Langston minus anything resembling a personality or charisma. Just two more reasons that my primary wrestling viewing is limited to New Japan, ROH, lucha and NXT and my dvd collection. 

I'll admit to a bit of interest in Hunter vs. Jinder in New Delhi, with Hunter's obsession with skulls and nasty world conquerors someone needs to hip him to the fact that the reason that there is a "New" Delhi is that Tamerlane wiped out the original Delhi and erected a pyramid of some 50,000 (give or take a few) skulls just to show people he was not to be fucked with. I'm sure Trips could get something out of that to work into the storyline...

Lashley of the past two years has been full of personality and charisma. One of my favorite characters in all of wrestling, a total package as far as in ring + mic work. Personally don't see Big E as more talented at all, with the exception of maybe in a tag setting.

• Like 1

Yeah I think a lot of people haven't seen Walking Armageddon in a long time. He really developed a personality.

I don't think he goes back to MMA unless someone others him stupid money to fight again.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, J.T. said:

He will probably go back to training at ATT full time and attempt yet another hysterical MMA comeback that will fail miserably.

He's 15-2 and his last fight was in 2016 with his last loss coming 5 years ago and most of his wins have come in the first or second round.  He's also been pretty public about only being interested in taking fights with a big payday attached.

Lashley's really been one of the few real highlights of this nothing happening company the past like 3 years or so.  I'd say this has probably been his worst year due to the lousy booking though.

I don't get this about face on the IP.  You don't need a trademark to retain IP.  The owl men either don't understand the difference between trademark, copyright, and IP or they're just sick of dealing with the Broken Matt shrapnel.  Like if Disney forgets to renew the trademarks on Chewbacca, the character wouldn't become public domain.  It'd still be protected by the film's copyright and be the intellectual property of Disney so the actor who played him couldn't simply claim ownership and take it to Paramount to be in a Star Trek movie as Chewbacca.  It's more like a tobacco company could market a Bigfoot-like creature on a package and sell a product called Chew-bacco.

Also, they've basically surrendered what little negotiating leverage they'd have with someone like an EC3 who before this would have to consider that he couldn't be the "EC3" character unless contracted to IMPACT but now he can take this Dixie Carter spin-off character to WWE.

Really, I just think it's bullshit that the fucking Big Boss Man couldn't be The Boss, man is he big! but after a year of petulant behavior from him, his wife, and his dipshit fanbase that Broken Matt gets to be Woken Matt.

Uh, you realize they are doing a 180 on their policy of scorched earth and pissing everyone off because said policy dug them into a ditch the size of the fucking Grand Canyon?

It didn't put them into any position they wouldn't be in otherwise.  There's really no scenario that plays out where people aren't constantly dunking on them.  If they let the Hardys take the gimmick with them then people clown them for letting the Hardys use them to get back to WWE with everything and the company getting nothing.  They sell the gimmick and people would shit on them for "extorting" the Hardys by making them pay for their gimmick.  If the Hardys decided they didn't want to be "Broken" anymore then people would blame them for the Hardys not being Broken anymore.  Even if the Hardys stay then people would complain about the gimmick being stale.  This company will never be able to do anything that won't get an LOLTNA out of people.

5 minutes ago, BEN! said:

This company will never be able to do anything that won't get an LOLTNA out of people.

Yes, but they earned that "LOLTNA" attitude from the wrestling world. It's been a comedy of errors since Day One. We can say "yeah, but look how long they lasted," but still...not a shit-show from Day OneISH, but from the exact moment they started.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2017 at 12:47 PM, BEN! said:

Like if Disney forgets to renew the trademarks on Chewbacca, the character wouldn't become public domain.

Not a good comparison for Broken Matt shenanigans. A much better example would be the rights for the Daleks owned by  Terry Nation when he wrote for Doctor Who.

I wouldn't be surprised with how incompetent TNA could be, that their contracts end up having Image Comics clause (i.e. the talent owns the rights to what they create... or something that clearly says otherwise).

Sydal took a deposit from BCW and then didn't respond to emails or anything, missed the show and never returned the deposit. All the while, he was active on Twitter while BCW was making noise about it. I guess Impact stepped in and either paid them the deposit or got Sydal to return it, but some promotions over there have said they won't book Sydal after this.

Just now, Casey said:

Sydal took a deposit from BCW and then didn't respond to emails or anything, missed the show and never returned the deposit. All the while, he was active on Twitter while BCW was making noise about it. I guess Impact stepped in and either paid them the deposit or got Sydal to return it, but some promotions over there have said they won't book Sydal after this.

He's either unprofessional or dumb as shit...or both. I hope he doesn't screw over Defy here in Washington State like this.

I think it's probably both. Got suspended in 2011 for synthetic marijuana (which in of itself is dumb as fuck to do), got injured a year later and then released. Fucked up his New Japan gig because of marijuana in an e-cig. I mean, the firing from WWE wasn't his fault, but he's made a lot of dumb decisions. Paul London is a stoner and he does just fine and doesn't fuck over people (as far as I'm aware). Same with Rob Van Dam. I mean, RVD got arrested while he was champion and that derailed his push big time, but that's a far cry from basically stealing money and burning bridges.

Brodus Clay had an issue a few years back where he ripped off a Canadian promotion by no-showing and keeping the deposit, and TNA had to step in and help with that, too.

Say what you will about TNA, but at least they help bail out their idiot employees when they rip off indie promotions.

• Like 1

After hearing Sydal telling his South American drug experiences,  I don't think I would trust him to book him on a show. 

He needs to just hook up with Danielson so they can push their wacky alternative medicine theories together l.

Interesting to see how the company goes forward now whether anything will change in regard to direction, talent, presentation and production or if they're just yes men.

Needless to say it's been a fuck-up since day one of the Anthem buyout so this 'reboot' is needed

On that note Killing the Town this week has Don talking about it some, and he's going to be on Jericho's podcast with Scott I think tomorrow.  I'll be pretty curious to see what they have in mind, but between laying off on the Hardy stuff and this Anthem's looking pretty good right now.