DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Dave has routinely said he doesn't need an editor and has turned down offers from people who are willing to help him put together an issue

I don't think that allows him to get a pass when he frequently writes passages that have become to be known as "Dave speak"

EDIT - he also charges people for the Newsletter. It isn't snarky for a costumer to say "Geez... that paragraph was poor". That is like saying if you went to a independent film that was written, directed, starred one guy who can't criticize it because he did it all himself.

I think complaining about a few clumsily written paragraphs in a newsletter that information wise is worth it's weight in gold is a bit much, but that's just me I guess. 

• Like 1

Scott Williams used to try and edit for Dave. He used to tell us in an AOL Chat room about how the edits rarely made it into the actual newsletter. :)

Edited by Dewar
EDITED FOR TYPO!!!
  • Sad 1

There should be expectations of professionalism when paying for any type of service. Even a wrestling newsletter.

Nobody is so big and so great that they can't use help, input or constructive criticism. To refuse these things to clean up your finished product--whatever it may be--is pompous.

• Thanks 1

I personally have gotten so used to the Dave speak and typos that it's a non-issue for me.  Not saying he doesn't need an editor because he sure as shit does.  But I guess like sabremike I'm forgiving of things like that for better or for worse.

5 hours ago, Dewar said:

Scott Williams used to try and edit for Dave. He used to tell us in an AOL Chat room about how the edits rarely made it into the actual newsletter. :)

Dave would also wait until damn near the last minute to get the newsletter to Scott, which led to him cramming late at night to get everything done.  On that tight of a deadline, both sides would miss some shit.

Catching up on Impact and trying to figure how long ago was the Lucha Underground tapings because Taya there looks like half of what she is now.  I don't mean that in a fat way.  I mean that in a she could probably squat and bench more than the entire X division way

Eventually we are going to get to the point where 80% of their TV shows will just be NOAH, AAA, and CRASH matches which isn't necessarily a bad thing

• Like 1

I get what you're saying. I thought the last round of tapings really pointed out to me that Taya and Sienna looked about the same size and they've always pushed Sienna as not quite a monster but physically bigger than the rest of the division.

Can anyone explain the meaning behind the words on the back of Fantasma's trunks?

Edited by Ramo2653
follow up

49 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Catching up on Impact and trying to figure how long ago was the Lucha Underground tapings because Taya there looks like half of what she is now.  I don't mean that in a fat way.  I mean that in a she could probably squat and bench more than the entire X division way.

She’s talked about how unhealthy she was during the Lucha Underground tapings, I believe due to an eating disorder. When she showed up on Impact the first thing I thought was that she looked so much better and only later found out why.

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

Eventually we are going to get to the point where 80% of their TV shows will just be NOAH, AAA, and CRASH matches which isn't necessarily a bad thing

I remember when I was a kid and the territories were dying: Al Tomko suddenly stopped showing his actual All-Star shows (which were pretty awful by the end, anyway), and randomly showed nothing but women's matches from Japan for an entire episode, claiming that All-Star would become an all-women's league. The company folded shortly thereafter...not because of the "all-women" thing, but because all the territories were dead, anyway.

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

Catching up on Impact and trying to figure how long ago was the Lucha Underground tapings because Taya there looks like half of what she is now.  I don't mean that in a fat way.  I mean that in a she could probably squat and bench more than the entire X division way

Yeah the last LU taping was June 2016 and she debuted on Impact in August 2017, agreed that she looks great ever since.

On 17/11/2017 at 6:43 PM, sabremike said:

I think complaining about a few clumsily written paragraphs in a newsletter that information wise is worth it's weight in gold is a bit much, but that's just me I guess. 

People pay money for it so it doesn't seem unfair to expect some sort of quality control as far as editing goes. I doubt it's a sticking point for most but it's a reasonable complaint even if it is relatively minor. 

On 11/17/2017 at 1:43 PM, sabremike said:

I actually agree.  I'm not really a grammar nazi.  Dave's writing only really bugs me when it's so poor I read a paragraph and really don't understand what I just read.  Which is what happened hear.  I had to reread the same paragraph a couple times to understand exactly what Dave was saying.

Also, as a general point, Dave's newsletter could stand to be a little more polished.  Not that I care, per se, but I also feel like being taken seriously as a credible journalist means putting out a professional-looking product.

On 18/11/2017 at 1:05 PM, RIPPA said:

This is probably the greatest Tweet in Twitter's history

The Pounce (Period) was one of the few positives to come out of the six sided ring, I remember it looking weird when he did it in ECW in a standard ring. Also, man, he'd have been huge if he'd stuck around WWE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

The Pounce (Period) was one of the few positives to come out of the six sided ring, I remember it looking weird when he did it in ECW in a standard ring. Also, man, he'd have been huge if he'd stuck around WWE

His first pounce in ECW, his first steps were toward the buckle after the Irish whip, but he adjusted immediately.  But if you knew what you were seeing, it was obvious.

6 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

People pay money for it so it doesn't seem unfair to expect some sort of quality control as far as editing goes. I doubt it's a sticking point for most but it's a reasonable complaint even if it is relatively minor. 

The most perfect post about Impact in this thread and it's not even really about Impact!

• Like 2

I'm sure Meltzer's problem with working with editors is he strikes me as the type who's still working on the newsletter 15 minutes after it should've been at the printers. So he can't afford to take a few hours out of his schedule to get the thing proofed.

I'm a (quote-unquote) editor for a living, and while his writing could be better, I look over it because he's a niche writer who writes a niche product. Would his style work in the NY Times? No. But nobody's buying the Observer because they want fine prose, they wanna read the scoopz~! And I don't think the newsletter needs to look more polished, either - it's such a niche publication that it doesn't operate under the same rules as say, Sports Illustrated. You can't hold his writing or his product to the same standard as magazines and newspapers because at the end of the day, it's still just a newsletter.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2017 at 4:36 AM, jstout said:

I'm sure Meltzer's problem with working with editors is he strikes me as the type who's still working on the newsletter 15 minutes after it should've been at the printers. So he can't afford to take a few hours out of his schedule to get the thing proofed.

I'm a (quote-unquote) editor for a living, and while his writing could be better, I look over it because he's a niche writer who writes a niche product. Would his style work in the NY Times? No. But nobody's buying the Observer because they want fine prose, they wanna read the scoopz~! And I don't think the newsletter needs to look more polished, either - it's such a niche publication that it doesn't operate under the same rules as say, Sports Illustrated. You can't hold his writing or his product to the same standard as magazines and newspapers because at the end of the day, it's still just a newsletter.

The thing that has annoyed me lately is the print quality has down down in last few months. Lots of weird toner smudges or such on almost every page.