DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

It's like I said, Ottawa's not a big sport or entertainment town. Even the 67s (our junior hockey team) is struggling with attendance - you think people are going to pay to go watch this? Maybe if they'd run it at the Lion's or Knights of Columbus or something like a real indy.

2 hours ago, kafkonia said:

It's like I said, Ottawa's not a big sport or entertainment town. Even the 67s (our junior hockey team) is struggling with attendance - you think people are going to pay to go watch this? Maybe if they'd run it at the Lion's or Knights of Columbus or something like a real indy.

If Impact is indeed turning into a Canadian indie which appears to be the case, then using Toronto and Ottowa as your hub makes perfect sense as logistically you could funnel in a lot of enhancement talent from the US Midwest to Canada for the tapings without breaking the transportation budget.

oVe, Sami Callihan, and Hakim Zane must literally rideshare to get to work. 

15 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

You guys can't just come in here with this stuff and not tell us some stories.  We were talking about pizza for like two days straight, we need this.

CJ Strongheart was this kid from Vancouver who trained at Lance's school; he was a colossal, egotistical douchebag. He walked around thinking he was a big deal because he claimed he was buddies with Lance, but in reality he just messaged Lance incessantly and once in a while, Lance would message him back. He tried to work a strong style despite maybe weighing a buck-sixty in the ring; when he debuted I was sporadically using the heart punch (at 260 lbs.) and he asked/demanded he use the move "because he could make it look better" than I could. I urged him to take the move, just for the sheer hilarity of watching this scrawny dink use it and expect guys to sell for it...which nobody sold anymore than they'd sell any other punch.

He basically blackballed himself from local wrestling in 2008 because he was such an asshole; there was a large pack of guys that hated him for stiffing other youngsters (and walking into local training as a greenhorn claiming he could run classes better than established guys), and he ended up getting shit-kicked at ECCW's "Wrestling With Hunger" marathon of shows, IIRC (I'd left ECCW by then, @Michael Sweetser could probably fill in the blanks, if he so chooses), and then decided he'd take up MMA. It didn't start well for him: in one of his first matches he just got pummeled to shit and his face was a total mess. To his credit, he's still involved in BJJ from a cursory glance of his Facebook. But all in all, a very unlikable little fuck.

EDIT: Here's the pic, circa 2011. He was very proud of this pic, he even added filters and affixed such motivational lines as "Rise and rise again: until lambs become lions" to it. You know, douchey shit.

303603_10150782598775160_2225954_n.jpg?o

• Like 1

Actually, what led to his shitkickings (which I have no insight into, as they took place post-ECCW) was at the Wrestling with Hunger show - in a three-way match I was refereeing, he gave poor Callos a curbstomp on the floor and gave him a pretty bad concussion.  That was pretty much the end of him.

While I see no issue with somebody being proud to be trained by Lance (Rachael Evers, Taya, etc.) there's always that one douchebag that should know better.  Sounds like this prick got what was coming to him.  I'd be half tempted to see if Lance remembers CJ, the way it sounds probably not.

3 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Actually, what led to his shitkickings (which I have no insight into, as they took place post-ECCW) was at the Wrestling with Hunger show - in a three-way match I was refereeing, he gave poor Callos a curbstomp on the floor and gave him a pretty bad concussion.  That was pretty much the end of him.

Yeah, he gave Danni Deeds a concussion the night before we took off (with Deeds driving) on that 8-day ECCW tour of the B.C. Interior. That's why Sid, Ice, Cremator and myself had heat with him at the start...

• Like 1

It's a bit of a shame, because I thought CJ had a good look and was pretty darn good in the ring - he and Billy Suede had an opening Pacific Cup match that was insanely good considering the experience level.  But yeah, it went to his head super-quick and he quickly became a headache.

The other memory I have of him from the Wrestling With Hunger show was him staying up for four hours creating himself backstage on WrestleMania 2000 on the N64 and then being too tired to work his next shift of matches (the event was a 72-hour marathon with a certain number of wrestlers allowed, as Dave Republic was going for some sort of Guinness record, so if he couldn't work, it meant others had to pick up his slack.)

• Haha 1

This clearly is the best part

For the Thursday set of tapings, there were roughly 350 people, but not sold out. Several members of the audience were paid attendees, and when one person asked Ed Nordholm for a photo, Nordholm asked what the photo was for, and then denied being himself. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For the Thursday set of tapings, there were roughly 350 people, but not sold out. Several members of the audience were paid attendees

so even when they pay the audience to be there, they can't get a full attendance? that is the saddest thing ever.

I imagine it went like this:

Promoter: Hey you guys wanna watch some live wrestling? Free tickets! and we'll pay you $50.
Potential Fans: what's the catch?
Promoter: There is no catch. We'll pay you to watch our Impact Wrestling show.
Fans: Wait, like TNA? yeah, no thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm guessing it was more 

Anthem: We need the crowd to look good on TV. Do whatever it takes.

Casting Company: what if we hire fans?

Anthem: great

CC: building holds about 500, so that will co...

Anthem: WE AREN'T PAYING FOR A SELLOUT JUST FILL THE ONE SIDE

Per the new WON

Regarding the Hall of Fame at Bound for Glory, once Jeff Jarrett left for good and they had nobody committed (the idea was Jerry Jarrett and Mike Tenay but Tenay wasn’t happening either way and Jerry, who did help start the company with Jeff and Bob Ryder and was a key guy in the early days, but left in a falling out with Jeff over Jeff using Vince Russo as booker and other things, in fact for years the two didn’t speak until reconciling) they decided to kill the concept, but James Storm was not on the list for being considered

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per the new WON

That might be the saddest paragraph I've ever read that somehow keeps getting sadder.  You get to the part about "Tenay not happening" and you go "Wow that's kinda sad that they can't put aside things to put him in".  Then you get to the part where Jerry and Jeffy didn't speak for years and go "Oh that's sadder" over Vince Russo "Wow, that's really sad".  And then the kicker "James Storm was not on the list for being considered" and it's just like the saddest thing ever.

• Like 1

What's the deal with Tenay?  I didn't realize he was on bad terms with the company.

That paragraph from the Observer is so badly written, it's maddening.  I had to read the part in parentheses three times to figure it out.  That fragment just goes on and on and on.....  Meltzer writing at it's worst.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

What's the deal with Tenay?  I didn't realize he was on bad terms with the company.

That paragraph from the Observer is so badly written, it's maddening.  I had to read the part in parentheses three times to figure it out.  That fragment just goes on and on and on.....  Meltzer writing at it's worst.

The people who get all snarky about the writing in the Observer really annoy me. Dave basically writes, produces and puts together the equivalent of a small book every week pretty much all by himself. I think any sane person should cut him some slack about his writing.

• Like 1

Dave has routinely said he doesn't need an editor and has turned down offers from people who are willing to help him put together an issue

I don't think that allows him to get a pass when he frequently writes passages that have become to be known as "Dave speak"

EDIT - he also charges people for the Newsletter. It isn't snarky for a costumer to say "Geez... that paragraph was poor". That is like saying if you went to a independent film that was written, directed, starred one guy who can't criticize it because he did it all himself.

• Like 2