DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

15 hours ago, Thibs said:

Why is it a bad thing that they’re promoting Hogan as part of their archived footage?

Especially since they were drawing almost the numbers Raw is doing today when he was there. 

Raw does 1.4’s and 1.0’s now? 

Edit- Looks like his debut got them a 1.5 and a really good quarter hour rating but aside from that it mostly went like this-

TNA Impact Wrestling on Thursday, October 6 scored a 1.01 rating, the lowest of the year and down from a 1.14 rating last week, for an episode marketed around Hulk Hogan's retirement tease.

Impact averaged 1.38 million viewers, which was the second-lowest audience of the year, just ahead of 1.36 million viewers on September 8.

21 hours ago, sabremike said:

I may just be guessing here but it could have something to do with Hulk's brand being slightly tainted in recent years.

You really think anyone who’s thinking about getting this app is going to be deterred by a 3 year old (or however long) hogan scandal? 

3 minutes ago, Thibs said:

You really think anyone who’s thinking about getting this app is going to be deterred by a 3 year old (or however long) hogan scandal? 

A guy who was caught on tape ranting about how much he hates black people probably shouldn't be your public face. Why do you think WWE has erased him from their history? It's the one thing you don't recover from.

11 hours ago, sabremike said:

A guy who was caught on tape ranting about how much he hates black people probably shouldn't be your public face. Why do you think WWE has erased him from their history? It's the one thing you don't recover from.

In 2015, sure.  But in 2017, there are apparently "many fine people" who share Hogan's views.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

So, it looks like they've at least secured the registration maybe? Unless it jumps to not https one you get to that page. I took no chances on that, and signed up through the iOs app.

There's a ton of content at least. If you leave the app, it seems to immediately dump the memory (haven't tried on Android yet) and there is no option I see to resume where you left off, so you have to just kinda fast forward back to where you were.

The first X Division title match was really convoluted but ultimately Lynn and Styles had a good match. 

I'm not sure I'm gonna keep it past the 30 day trial, but I'm not positive I won't. Being able to filter out all the crap there are a lot of good matches buried in it. Plus there's a section set up for Wrestling at the Chase so that should eventually be awesome.

Have they said anything about how current ppvs are going to be handled? Are they live on GWN? Added right after, a week after, longer?

On 10/15/2017 at 11:39 AM, Thibs said:

I hate oVe as well. Part of that is on creative but mostly cuz they look like scrubs.

Nearly getting knocked out by enhancement talent in their debut didn't help one bit.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So, it looks like they've at least secured the registration maybe? Unless it jumps to not https one you get to that page. I took no chances on that, and signed up through the iOs app.

There's a ton of content at least. If you leave the app, it seems to immediately dump the memory (haven't tried on Android yet) and there is no option I see to resume where you left off, so you have to just kinda fast forward back to where you were.

The first X Division title match was really convoluted but ultimately Lynn and Styles had a good match. 

I'm not sure I'm gonna keep it past the 30 day trial, but I'm not positive I won't. Being able to filter out all the crap there are a lot of good matches buried in it. Plus there's a section set up for Wrestling at the Chase so that should eventually be awesome.

Have they said anything about how current ppvs are going to be handled? Are they live on GWN? Added right after, a week after, longer?

I’ve been watching and enjoying a lot of the 2003 asylum ppv’s. The crowds were super hot. I watched a Raven vs. Shane Douglas match with Douglas getting incredible heat.

1 minute ago, Thibs said:

I’ve been watching and enjoying a lot of the 2003 asylum ppv’s. The crowds were super hot. I watched a Raven vs. Shane Douglas match with Douglas getting incredible heat.

Is this the match where Raven shoot-kicked Douglas in the balls and he threw up? Which, I think might’ve also included that bloody scalping to Raven. 

Yeah, 95% of the Asylum weekly ppv stuff is new to me. No way in hell I was paying six bucks a week for it back then.

What's funny is that basic model is actually much more viable now, albeit not at that price. Streaming is basically an update to the ppv model.

39 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Is this the match where Raven shoot-kicked Douglas in the balls and he threw up? Which, I think might’ve also included that bloody scalping to Raven. 

I think that was later on in the fall of 2003. September I want to say. They currently have all the PPV’s from the first one in June 02-August 03. Im watching the August 03 stuff—

Highlights include:

AJ’s first title run featuring a good series of matches with D’lo Brown, and awesome match with Low Ki. 

James Mitchell and the New Church feuding with Raven. Brian Lee is in phenomenal shape in this, teaming with Slash. Great team and stable. 

Simon Diamond and Swinger, managed by an obnoxious Disco Inferno, feuding with AMW managed by Dusty Rhodes. 

Kid Kash hating on all the legends and having a super entertaining match with Ricky Morton of all people. 

Elix Skipper being pushed as a top heel in the x divison. 

All in all, really fun stuff. I forgot how good of a venue the Astylum was. This may have been Russo’s best work outside of WWF. I believe Jerry Jarrett pretty much booked the wrestling and kept the nonsense to a minimum, while allowing some of Russo’s strengths to shine and providing a good mix of wreslting and storyline.

Also re: Russo— say what you want about his booking, but the sumbitch was a pretty good heel mouthpiece.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nofuture said:

I think I've seen Impact Pizza at a gas station once.  Don't they sell them 5 for $5?

2 hours ago, Cleavy said:

they don't even know their market.  should be Impact Poutine.

All I know is that no gas station cuisine will ever be better than Royal Farms fried chicken.

• Like 1