DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

15 hours ago, Brysynner said:

Who are GFW's stars that they could build around?

Rosemary, Sienna, Lashley, James Storm, Eddie Edwards are the top names I can think of off the top of my head.

Regardless of time period, TNA has always had a decent roster.  If they could extrapolate the real life drama and apply that to the on screen action they would be huge.

In addition to the above names, Eli Drake, EC3, Kongo Kong, LAX, Laurel Van Ness have all been great on the recent tapings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer and Alvarez just posted a radio show where they interview Ed Nordholm

That is going to be... something

It's been fun so far but the 9-month pregnant pause when Dave asked him about what he learned from the Hardys ordeal was hilaaaarious. Like he thinks about it for a good five seconds, goes to answer it, realizes he shouldn't say what he was going to say, then pauses again.

Seems like a lot of work to get Jarrett out of their fantasy league.

Look at the hashtags on that SI article.  How much of Matt's money is Reby paying that guy?

What wrestling company other than WWE is making most of their money off their TV deal?  Lucha Underground has reportedly spent more just to produce 3 seasons of TV than TNA has spent in 15 years.  Sinclair doesn't fund ROH for shit and nobody watches their TV but they seem to do alright at the gate.  IMPACT has to tour if they're going to generate any kind of income since PPV is basically dead.  The two house shows were profitable cause they were sold shows but they didn't draw well because they're ice cold as a brand and have never drawn particularly well in New York anyway.  Stick to Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Philadelphia, Michigan, Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix.  Canada's underserved by WWE.  If they can swing the proper sponsorship then UK, Australia, and Indian tours would probably do well.

I questioned the logic of Anthem keeping Big around after the purchase since I don't know how anyone at TNA could work with him after he tried to broker a deal with WWE to sell the company with only himself getting a job there.  Also, pretty terrible at every position he was placed in; creative, talent relations.  I do miss the weekly Bram signings though.

Also, bringing Jarrett on-board full-time to basically run everything was questionable.  A consultant role, sure but bringing back the staff that has failed before, probably the "winningest" team but mostly because of Panda and Spike funding everything.

Moving post-production to Toronto would make sense if they've got the people to do it.  Probably should retain the Nashville warehouse for merchandise fulfillment and equipment storage though.

I've watched everything through Slammiversary.  Slammiversary was really good.  The road getting there was rough.  The Indian shows were mostly good.  Tighter and more focused.

I don't know how anybody can live through heel Michael Cole and think turning the play by play guy heel would be a good idea.  Mathews is actually kind of funny but he puts his foot on the gas at the wrong times to the detriment of the people in the ring.  The worst thing is he was actually pretty good last year.  Might have really been the best PxP guy on a big league level cause Kevin Kelly is awful, Matt Striker is fucking awful, and Mauro Ranallo is annoyingly fucking awful and Cole is completely fake.  Young Boy Tom might have been his stiffest competition and he's mostly vanilla and inoffensive as long as he's not sliding into your DMs.  Borash is supposed to be the good guy but he's just as douchey as Josh.  And he's better suited for color.

Too many authority figures.  Why are there so many?  What do they all do?  Why is Bruce Prichard on my TV?  Why does Karen Jarrett always sound like she's going to break down in tears?  Why does she talk so close and put her hands on the wrestlers invading their personal space?  I still say they should've put Vanguard One in charge.

Too many wrestlers.  They legit brought in like 70 new people from March to July.  I know fuck all about most of them cause Josh and JB were arguing with each other instead of informing me about who these people were.  I can only tell the World Tag Team Champions apart cause they put their names on their britches.  I still don't know anything about them as characters.  A lot of guys have just been wasted most of the year as well.

Show don't tell.  Or show and don't tell.  Or don't show or tell.  I feel like I've missed an episode at times.  Like that time they did that fake fan vote between EC3 and Storm.  They've got a camera on Matt Morgan being upset about the results.  I don't know why.  The commentators don't mention it.  I assume this storyline was explained on the internet.  Like the GFW championships being "golden tickets" to Slammiversary was apparently explained on their website but never on TV.  They had LAX talking about going to other promotions and taking their titles and they kind of showed that once and Slammiversary was supposed to be about all these other promotions coming to get them but they didn't tell that story at all.

Swoggle and Spud beat each other with hammers.  A comedy feud about short guys pulling each others pants down was built the same as EC3/Storm.

Speaking of Storm, him and Moose are the dumbest babyfaces.  Storm's been around long enough that he should know how to give the heel the advantage other than just turning his back for no reason.  And Moose is the guy they should be building around but he's always getting countered multiple times per match like a moron.

I know Eli Drake is World Champion now and he should be at that level but I think he's won like two matches since last year and both were gimmick battle royals.

Lashley's the best consistent talent in this company.  Booking has failed him though with him just sliding by Barnett and then getting beat by Alberto in his debut.

Alberto was actually a hell of a fiery white meat babyface.  Too bad he couldn''t keep it together off camera with his profanity laden anti-WWE rants on the house mic and his personal life.

The Wolves feud was good.  Davey Richards was good, guys.

Sienna not having to play second fiddle to Maria is good.  I hope Hot Mess Laurel Van Ness never sobers up.  Bringing in KM and Kongo Kong is way too much firepower to fight Braxton Sutter who's won like 4 matches since debuting.

Scott Steiner.  "Whoa, Jeremy, you've gained weight.  You're a fatass too!"  Hated The Great War last year.  This was the perfect use of that "Broken Universe" style.

The Impact Zone.  That crowd is dead.  Someone should throw their opponent into that blonde girl in the front row that's always turned away from the ring and texting all the time.

India.  Bollywood's lit y'all.  Bring in Orlando area wannabe actors and dancers and toss 'em a dollar to dance and cheer the right people in the Impact Zone.

GFW rebrand.  Nobody asked for this.

• Like 4

Recap of the Nordholm interview via the LAW guys 

WRESTLING NEWS

**Ed Nordholm was a guest on Wrestling Observer Radio on Friday to discuss the state of Global Force Wrestling and below are highlights from the discussion:
-He hopes Jeff Jarrett is not gone long but won’t be available for the time being with Scott D’Amore and Sonjay Dutt being two key people brought in by Jarrett during his time there (D’Amore, Dutt and John Gaburick will comprise the creative team and all three will be part of a conference call next week to discuss the state of the company)
-He stated his goal was to make the company profitable, it lost “a lot of money” in 2016 and the business may have been more difficult than they anticipated when Anthem took over operations.
-He stated the need to grow revenue and keep costs down but stated he understands revenue won’t show up out of nowhere
-Nordholm flat out stated they were not selling the company and were investing in the company.
-The goal when Anthem purchased the company was to reach a breakeven point as fast as possible.
-They are planning to launch the Global Wrestling Network with their own content and estimated 3,000 hours in their library with 800 hours already up and ready to go when the streaming service launches next week. They are hopeful adding content from other promotions they are working with (NOAH, AAA, The Crash).
-The streaming service will be launched next week and will be on iOS and have a web version at launch with hopes of adding it to Roku and Apple TV in the future for phase two and will be $7.99/month with a free tier as well with a 30-day trial period being offered as well.
-In North America, Impact will be added to the free-tier of the app 10-days after it airs on POP TV.
-Nordholm cited poor experiences that certain promotions had with TNA in the past that have proven to be a challenge when attempting to form working agreements today.
-He said it makes no sense to sell the Impact library to the WWE with what they would offer and he would rather just keep it and monetize it himself with the streaming service.
-He specifically noted Joe Koff and Dorian Roldan as great people to deal with.
-There are still talks ongoing with ITV Studios and the issues are finding a timeslot and what ITV itself would be willing to pay for programming.
-He confirmed that Alberto El Patron is coming back at Bound for Glory on November 5th.
-A lot more content of their talent working in AAA, The Crash and NOAH will be inserted into episodes of Impact over the next two-months.
-They are expecting to do a similar format of tapings in November after Bound for Glory with a long set of tapings and content inserted from other promotions throughout the episodes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Should be pointed out that significantly more people watch ROH TV when you add up the cumulative numbers from the Sinclair affiliates than GFW on POP.

I'm one of those that don't have a Sinclair affiliate in my area, but I do have Pop.

...like TNN used to

ROH is on three different stations during the weekend in Vegas. But guys great news GFW isn't going anywhere they are even holding a show during Wrestlecon. You don't book this far in advance if you are going under.

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/global-force-wrestling-part-wrestlecon-wrestlemania-34-weekend

WrestleCon has announced that Global Force Wrestling will be part of the live show lineup during WrestleMania 34 weekend in New Orleans in April 2018. WrestleCon will be holding their annual Supershow, along with a show from Wildkat Wrestling, run by Luke Hawx, on April 4th.

Global Force Wrestling, Revolution Pro Wrestling, and the CRASH promotion out of Mexico will be running a show on April 5th. Finally, on April 6th, Combat Zone Wrestling will run their annual Best of the Best tournament, while Wrestling Revolver.

Current live show lineup. Yes, we're still awaiting one group. More information soon regarding ticket on sale days coming later this month. pic.twitter.com/KMTuuecCa3

— WrestleCon (@wrestlecon) September 5, 2017

I'm being facetious but I'm curious to what a GFW show at Wrestlecon would look like and if anyone would even go. 

No, LAX unified the Tag Titles by winning the TNA and GFW belts at the same time. They're now feuding with OVE, who are doing a 'brother Tag team who have nothing in common' gimmick. They don't look alike or wrestle alike is their gimmick. Although they're the same height and build, and wrestle the same style as each other, but one is a blonde  and one is a brunette.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, AxB said:

No, LAX unified the Tag Titles by winning the TNA and GFW belts at the same time. They're now feuding with OVE, who are doing a 'brother Tag team who have nothing in common' gimmick. They don't look alike or wrestle alike is their gimmick. Although they're the same height and build, and wrestle the same style as each other, but one is a blonde  and one is a brunette.

I wonder if Alvarez can tell them apart. We know he couldn't tell the Naturals apart. 

37 minutes ago, AxB said:

Thank you for this description of OVE. I've been wondering what their deal was for a few weeks but the prospect of turning the sound on on Impact is quite daunting.

The hilarious thing about oVe is they're supposed to be these dark type character. And then they come out in front of the live crowd, completely get away from their character and deliver the typical "I'm better than you, let's wrestle" promo that you see 99% of the time these days. 

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Legit one of the funniest sentences I've ever read on here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Recap of the Nordholm interview via the LAW guys

At the risk of offending someone (and being off subject)... does the LAW guys still come off a wee bit shilly? I stopped listening to them years back partly because of that. I mean, they're probably over the moon that TNA is moving to Canada.

EDIT: oh wait, that's around the time they were bought by Fight Network... okay, that does explain a lot.

The LAW dudes aren't as bad now as they have been in the past.  If anything they can come off as overly critical of the TNAGFWIMPACT product. And if they are talking about a news story regarding GFW they will almost always preface it with a disclosure that both the LAW and GFW are owned by the same parent company. They've talked pretty openly about how it puts them in an awkward position when covering those stories because of that. John Pollock put it pretty well saying that the same parent company owns TSN and the Toronto Blue Jays and if a negative story came out about The Jays, TSN would still cover it and he wants the LAW to be the same.

• Thanks 1

As someone who is totally out of the loop on GFW, I like the idea of their streaming service and I'll be trying it out when it's released.  I've been watching Nitro for the last 10 months and I'm nearing the end and the next logical step would be to watch TNA.  I'm just hoping it'll be on the Kindle since I don't have a cell phone and I really don't want to watch it on my PC.

On 9/9/2017 at 11:13 AM, Sammo~! said:

The LAW dudes aren't as bad now as they have been in the past.  If anything they can come off as overly critical of the TNAGFWIMPACT product. And if they are talking about a news story regarding GFW they will almost always preface it with a disclosure that both the LAW and GFW are owned by the same parent company. They've talked pretty openly about how it puts them in an awkward position when covering those stories because of that. John Pollock put it pretty well saying that the same parent company owns TSN and the Toronto Blue Jays and if a negative story came out about The Jays, TSN would still cover it and he wants the LAW to be the same.

Rogers Sportsnet owns the Jays and Rogers has suspended their radio guy in the past for being too critical to the point where he can be insufferable at times.  The LAW collective haven't said anything good about TNA for years.  I bet their tune has changed or will if they know whats good for them

10 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Rogers Sportsnet owns the Jays and Rogers has suspended their radio guy in the past for being too critical to the point where he can be insufferable at times.  The LAW collective haven't said anything good about TNA for years.  I bet their tune has changed or will if they know whats good for them

I've been listening to the LAW guys for a long time and I haven't noticed any difference at all regarding TNA.