DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

Make fun all you want, but the Young Bucks running a promotion sounds like it would be really fun. Get Billy Corgan back in there too.

And I was about to say that it would improve on the storylines, but you know what, there's more "good" storylines on Impact than there is on Raw. So it would basically be continuing to run good stories, but in a more stylized way.

That's exactly what I was thinking of. I just really want a weekly wrestling TV show that takes the best parts of good in ring wrestling, different Corgan-era production values and stories, and the charm of stuff like Being the Elite and Southpaw Regional Wrestling.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer said on the radio show that Anthem is planning on moving company HQ to Toronto

Did he talk about whether or not the selling rumor has any legs to it?

Doesn't sound like they're selling if they're moving it to Toronto.

I would really be interested again if they got rid of all the Jarrett cronies and basically went back to the type of show they were producing last summer with Corgan/Gaburick. With Anthem's backing. 

3 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

If the rumor on the HQ is true, I think it's more Anthem bringing things in-house, rather than leaving it as its own entity outside the company (and outside the country).  If they ARE losing money, ditching an extra office they don't need is a good start.

It could also be that they're smartening up to the rasslin business and wanting things to be on a tight leash to avoid the bullshit. 

Meltz said that everyone who would be a buyer has said that they aren't interested in buying.

But he also noted that if someone was buying and someone was selling - everyone would be denying it

2 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

He doesn't "get" that he's a money mark getting fleeced by old carnies.

That's the beauty of all of this. Corgan was your classic money mark. He was just a rich guy who wanted a wrestling company as his toy. 

Anthem actually thought they were going to make money purchasing a fed with no marketable talents, a damaged brand name, no house show business and limited tv.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thibs said:

It could also be that they're smartening up to the rasslin business and wanting things to be on a tight leash to avoid the bullshit. 

PROTIP: Money marks that get smart to the wrestling business aren't usually money marks in the wrestling business for much longer afterward.

So true, When I trained back in 03-04, I saw a local, well known, rich dude come around, promising to put us on TV, run a 10k seat arena, etc.  For a few weeks he would come down to the training centre and hang out with our boss.

He came to precisely one show, we drew about 400 in a small sports hall, it looked pretty busy and was a good house for us.  Guy stayed over by the merch / concession stand the whole night.  I heard he caught wind of how much (or little) the promotion made after everything was paid and he was never seen near a wrestling show again.

Smartest money mark I ever saw.

• Haha 1

TNA drew good houses in England, right? And they make money in India? I presume they do well enough on the Fight Network in drawing an audience. Why not exclusively become an international content creator?

Why keep chasing the rapidly shrinking US audience? It's insane this company loses millions. Stop signing ex WWE dudes. Have a subscription site for your US hardcores.

Like, increasingly I wonder what the point of GFW is? Why not try to become the most successful company in Canada?

• Like 1

Like ten years ago, WWE had like a sit-down interview with an out-of-character Vince. It was pretty bonkers for the time. Anyway, they asked him about during the bad financial times (like 93-95) what he would have done if the company was on the verge of going under. He responded something along the lines of "we'd scale everything down, go back to the Northeast and run small arenas and start over from scratch."

It was such a honest response. So, going back to GFW, it seems they've been chasing El Dorado for 15 years. They cut all these high priced guys like AJ and Roode only to double-down on ultimately meaningless draws like ADR and Johnny Impact. They still run money losing tapings in Orlando etc. They chase American TV deals that ultimately are just a detriment. They're the last wrestling company in the world still chasing PPV dollars. It really is baffling.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hagan said:

TNA drew good houses in England, right? And they make money in India? I presume they do well enough on the Fight Network in drawing an audience. Why not exclusively become an international content creator?

Why keep chasing the rapidly shrinking US audience? It's insane this company loses millions. Stop signing ex WWE dudes. Have a subscription site for your US hardcores.

Like, increasingly I wonder what the point of GFW is? Why not try to become the most successful company in Canada?

That's kinda what Cornette was saying awhile back on one of his podcasts.  May as well move to Toronto and run the area since there are a few relatively active indies in the area and Toronto has always been a strong wrestling area

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hagan said:

I've often wondered if you could run a show based out of Canada, make it look sorta old-school, kinda dirty with its own aesthetic (Like the way 'Lucha Underground' makes their show look like a cheap fight-club, dirty ghetto arena-type deal).  Make a big deal about how you're NOT WWE, it's real competition like 'Stampede Wrestling'.  Bring in Lance Storm as your kayfabe commissioner.  Bring in a retired NHL fighter to referee a main event, maybe even wrestle.  Create a "Us vs. Them" dynamic about the small-time alternative battling the corporate wrestling monster.

But, then again, Lucha Underground is a big money loser, is it not?  So, maybe there's my answer.

Forgot to keep checking this thread.

Low-Ki still a pain in the ass. Out of the big name independent wrestlers, I never got him like Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles and CM Punk.

Fuck Sexy Star for what she did to Rosemary. Unacceptable.

No matter the name: TNA, Impact, GFW...the company is a right mess.