DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

Fallah Bahh beat KM with Sienna with the bandit drop. Real basic match

Maff, Pat Buck and some dude beat the Heavenly Bodies. Decent Indy match.

Trevor Lee b Croatian guy with a tights assisted roll up. Nothing match. Main thing is that Sanjay came out, laid him out and took back his X Division title. Show is being filmed so this will likely be on TV.

Talya d Allie and Sienna in a non title match with a crossface type submission on Allie. Nothing special, like a mid card Shimmer match. Talya didn't really impress me that much. Did I just see her on an off night/match that didn't click or is she not that good?

After A grueling hour long show so far we now go to an intermission. It lasted 40 minutes, so 2/3rds as long as the first half of the show.

Eli Drake d Braxton Sutter with the Celtic cross. Good house show match. Eli is gold on the mic, shame he's not in NXT. Sutter berated Allie after the match. Lots of stalling and ha ha at the start but it got pretty good.

LAX d Sanjay and Drago with their doomsday device into a power bomb finish. Very good match with the only blemish being a messed up spot on a pin breakup. After the match Lee came back and repossessed the belt. They did a Benny Hill style chase around the outfield and Sanjay caught him in the gorilla position but Lee got away I think. As for the match, say ***1/4 snowflakes.

Main Event time! Low Ki looks weird dressed like Mr Hughes. James Storm did the Sandman feed fans beer spot. EC3 had baseball's and teased throwing them to the crowd but then threw them into the outfield. Moose is wearing a SIY batting helmet.

Hennigan/Storm/Moose d Lashley/EC3/Low Ki with Hennigan hitting starship pain on EC3 for the pin. Match delivered. Was weird seeing Moose play Ricky Morton face in peril. Not bad mind you, just strange. ***1/2. Last 2 matches made the show a thumbs up.

• Like 1

Few notes: LAX were the most over act on the show followed by Hennigan and Eli. The LAX shirts were selling. They had shirts that were either old versions of ones for guys in the company and others of guys who were gone. They were part of the $20 sacks that came with 4 random DVD's and a shirt. They were supposed to be random shirts but the guy was giving people before me choices. I asked for either Hardys, Kenny King or EC3 and the guy just gave me an Impact shirt like a dick. I saw that he gave me an xxxl when I asked for either an xl or xxl so I asked for a different shirt. So he gives me the Hardys shirt I wanted in the first place. Yay. After the show they offered fans to come into the ring for photos with the faces from the main event for $20. Yeah nah. As for the makeup of the crowd it was some kids and a lot of "wrestling is the entire purpose of my life" types. Saw lots of shirts from WWE and Bullet Club but relatively few GFW related shirts except for ones that were purchased tonight. Overall the show ended up being better than I expected due to the strong second half. With intermission the whole thing ran 2 hours and 40 minutes which is much better than say a 6 hour death march of a show that happens way too often on the Indy scene.

• Like 1

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to 2017 GFW (OR WHATEVER USED TO BE TNA) DISCUSSION THREAD

Good Lord - I didn't realize this until Dave posted it in the WON

As a cost cutting measure, they are doing the next set of tapings from 8/17 to 8/22, taping 12 weeks of television in six days (they are likely to be doing afternoon and evening tapings on 8/19 and 8/20), so they’re doing everything through 10/26, or all shows leading to Bound for Glory next week

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Is Low Ki really dressing line Mr. Hughes or is he just using the Hitman Agent 47 cosplay gimmick he ran with in a few matches during one of his Japan tours?

In Low Ki's mind it is the latter.

For other's - it can be seen as the former (especially if you want to imply that Ki is fat.)

25 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Is Low Ki really dressing line Mr. Hughes or is he just using the Hitman Agent 47 cosplay gimmick he ran with in a few matches during one of his Japan tours?

yep. Impact asked him to revive it. he gave an interview about how it came about and how he wasn't sacked from NJPW for doing that, rather him doing that was a fuck-you response to him being suspended from NJPW (he says for refusing to work in Fukushima after the nuclear incident).

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In Low Ki's mind it is the latter.

For other's - it can be seen as the former (especially if you want to imply that Ki is fat.)

Was unaware that was the inspiration. I thought Mr Hughes because he was famous for wrestling in a suit, and seriously how many guys have ever wrestled in a suit regularly?

I can't imagine how uncomfortable wrestling in a suit or slacks, dress shirt, and tie must be. Doing funeral work in a suit, especially during the summer is awful. IMO, the worst is doing removals in a suit, followed by embalming.

On 8/10/2017 at 9:22 PM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I'm assuming there are a handful, but the only person who comes to mind besides Hughes is Big Bubba Rogers.

Corporate Kane? Patterson and Brisco? Those might be dress shirt and slacks. 

And the source is Impact itself

GFW has concluded its internal consideration of the events surrounding the suspension of Alberto El Patron. While it is apparent that initial reports unfairly characterized El Patron’s involvement in the incident in the Orlando airport, we are nonetheless disappointed with the manor in which he dealt with this situation; we expect more decorum from all on the GFW roster, especially the World Champion.

We have communicated with El Patron our decision to strip him of his championship title. No decision has been taken as to the date on which he will be reinstated to the roster, the conditions of which are a private matter between the company and El Patron.

http://impactwrestling.com/alberto-el-patron-indefinite-suspension-update-2/

Yeah unfortunately the garbage fire of the Alberto and Paige saga is more of a small flame in terms of internet interest.  So of course TNA now decides to strip him of the title.  Not when they "suspended" him a month or so ago.    I seriously doubt they have information that shed any light on this situation that we didn't already know 

Observer posted about it and cited GFW's concern with Alberto's long-term behavior, which would literally be the first time in TNA's history that they gave a shit about that (I'm looking at you, Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle).

Still, good on GFW to decide to pull the trigger even though the police investigation turned up otherwise; a LOT of other places would've just turned away from it.  Maybe it's a sign GFW's finally getting their act together (although I wouldn't bet cash money on that).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Observer posted about it and cited GFW's concern with Alberto's long-term behavior, which would literally be the first time in TNA's history that they gave a shit about that (I'm looking at you, Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle).

Still, good on GFW to decide to pull the trigger even though the police investigation turned up otherwise; a LOT of other places would've just turned away from it.  Maybe it's a sign GFW's finally getting their act together (although I wouldn't bet cash money on that).

Would you bet Global Gold on it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

18 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Yeah unfortunately the garbage fire of the Alberto and Paige saga is more of a small flame in terms of internet interest.  So of course TNA now decides to strip him of the title.  Not when they "suspended" him a month or so ago.    I seriously doubt they have information that shed any light on this situation that we didn't already know 

It's more likely they didn't want to strip him of the title while they still haven't aired all their taped episodes yet.