DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

I little off-topic, but do guys get travel and expense money when they work for an indy promotion, or do the wrestlers pay that out of pocket.  I always wondered how the Young Bucks made any money back in the days when they were flying east for TNA shows and the occassional Florida indy.  

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

e day before, he was in Gifu and went to a convenience store and jumped into a fridge and posted an instagram photo of him. It wouldn’t have been an issue, except the fact he posted an instagram photo of it meant it couldn’t be covered up and it related to something that had been a big news story in the country. 

Okay someone is going to have to explain this to me.

20 minutes ago, caley said:

But why would he be suspended over it?!

Rippa's original post said it related to a mainstream issue in the country. 

I am as curious as anyone about it too. 

2 hours ago, Zartan said:

Rippa's original post said it related to a mainstream issue in the country. 

I am as curious as anyone about it too. 

I googled Japan, person, freezer, and got this:

https://japantoday.com/category/national/lawson-store-closed-after-employee-puts-photo-of-himself-in-freezer-on-facebook

Basically, someone did this a few years ago in Japan and got their entire store shut down. So Bram I guess thought it'd be a good idea to recreate it, presumably because he is an idiot?

Like, I know that it probably wouldn't be a big deal over here, but if you're in a foreign country maybe take the temperature of the culture around you before you do stupid shit. Or maybe don't post it to instagram. If a store got closed down from the owners son doing that, what did he think was going to happen to a foreign wrestler?

13 hours ago, GodzillaPerez said:

I would think there is a bit of a difference between Terry Funk and a cop punching, domestic abuser on his first trip to Japan.

Oh I'm not saying there aren't reasons to dislike/doubt Bram.  I'm just saying I don't think the punishment or attention here fits the crime.

20 hours ago, nate said:

Is it an issue of food safety?

I wouldn't be a fan of knowing somebody was laying on top of an ice cream bar i was thinking to eat.  It might not be enough body warmth to melt it, but it could still smash the shape.  But it's still a pretty stupid thing to do.   And considering I'm not a fan of Bram given his past offenses I have no sympathy for him.  I do feel for his partner though who can't even continue the tournament due to Bram being an idiot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I wouldn't be a fan of knowing somebody was laying on top of an ice cream bar i was thinking to eat.  It might not be enough body warmth to melt it, but it could still smash the shape.  But it's still a pretty stupid thing to do.   And considering I'm not a fan of Bram given his past offenses I have no sympathy for him.  I do feel for his partner though who can't even continue the tournament due to Bram being an idiot.

Robbie E gets to stay in the tournament. His new partner is Kazma Sakamoto. 

11 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Robbie E gets to stay in the tournament. His new partner is Kazma Sakamoto. 

Oh, okay.  I thought I read earlier it was non-tournament matches though.

EDIT:  Here's what Rippa posted from somewhere so they might have gotten it wrong:

Kazma Sakamoto is being brought in for the rest of the tour to replace Bram, but the matches would not be tournament bouts.

On 4/27/2017 at 2:55 PM, kafkonia said:

I googled Japan, person, freezer, and got this:

https://japantoday.com/category/national/lawson-store-closed-after-employee-puts-photo-of-himself-in-freezer-on-facebook

Basically, someone did this a few years ago in Japan and got their entire store shut down. So Bram I guess thought it'd be a good idea to recreate it, presumably because he is an idiot?

Pretty sure Bram wasn't trying to recreate it rather just being a dumbass. 

Looking in to it more(reading the comments) it seems this was more of a thing of people expecting their food not to be messed with in any way prior to purchase. It's definitely an overreaction in both cases but hey, you go to a foreign country respect their values whether you agree with them or not. Shit is expensive in Japan and if your gonna pay 20 dollars US for an ice cream bar you expect it to not have had some dumbass laying on it prior. 

Just glad Bram is not an American so we don't have to take the blame on this one. :P 

23 hours ago, nate said:

Is it an issue of food safety?

It's unsanitary but it sounds more like the place was a franchise and they didn't like their franchisee giving them a bad name.

There hasn't been a Lockdown this year, has there?

Jarrett's creative is pretty tone deaf.  I can understand hiring him as a consultant, even a shoot GM role but not head of creative.  He's got his wife Ella Gigante out there screeching and towering over everybody including Sienna who is supposed to be the biggest Knockout.  Pretty much everybody is a heel except maybe Alberto and even he tried to jump the line for a title shot.  I understand the desire to appeal to the Hispanic audience but I also think the importance of the Hispanic audience gets a little overblown.  Alberto's not Rey Mysterio and Impact isn't on Friday night network television.  I really don't understand letting him incorporate GFW into anything though.  That brand and those titles don't have any meaning to anybody.  I don't think Lashley needs to be losing the WHC to anybody until BFG and it should be to Moose.  I'd be into Lashley carrying around the TNA and GFW belts, and hell, give him the Ring Ka King belt too and have him carry around all three until BFG when they introduce a new Impact WHC belt.

If WWE really wants to buy the Broken Hardy stuff then Anthem should bend WWE over and stick it in until the tip touches their tonsils cause

A.  WWE set the legal precedents for this kind of shit with guys' gimmicks.

B.  WWE didn't even live up to their agreement with TNA regarding using Ric Flair.

I'd give them shared use of the Broken Hardy footage from like March 2016 through March 2017 and ownership of the trademarks for the Broken Hardys and all associated characters minus Vanguard-One.  They can have the name but he's got to be something other than a drone.  Maybe a Roomba.  How sturdy are those things?  Can you band a bunch of Vacuuming Assault Robots together and have Matt Hardy surf them to the ring?

In exchange, I'd want a boatload of money.  That boat might also need to be made of gold.  An AJ Styles non-wrestling appearance at Slammiversary.  And the Hardys have to job to the Impact World Tag Champs at a WWE house show which won't be televised but can be documented online by Impact.

I really don't understand why Matt Hardy is so precious about this gimmick though.  Just come up with something else.  WWE won't let trained professionals do piledrivers, they aren't going to let him shoot people in the face with fireworks.  He'll end up drawing Bugs Bunny circles backstage where he enters his Broken Universe to drink wine with Erick Rowan and Adam Rose's Bunny.

Owlguard-One needs to document Scott Steiner training Josh Mathews by taking him to the zoo where Steiner just yells at monkeys and then makes Josh box Stomper.

Agreed with Ben, 'tone deaf' is a good term for the current Impact booking. It isn't outright terrible, but it's missing some important details which will make a difference. An example is EC3; in the Impact Zone, he's their guy. Storm is a vet who keeps coming back to the Cowboy gimmick after failed heel runs, going in and out of NXT etc - the time for him to be champ has been and gone. EC3 isn't going to get heel heat that way. El Patron isn't a sympathetic character (his initial face run in WWE kinda worked as a buddy movie between him and Rodriguez), so ditto. Only guy he could really get heat against is Lashley I think, but he's still a heel.

Agree Moose should be the guy they are pushing, but I think they need to give somebody else a chance with the Grand Championship.