DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Full update from newest WON

TNA is claiming the characters which debuted on their television, of Broken Matt, Brother Mero, Senor Benjamin, Queen Rebecca and King Maxel as its intellectual property, and that Matt & Jeff were under TNA contracts when the characters were developed.

Brother Mero?

marc-mero-f.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just wanted to highlight that point.

Really - if you are an independent wrestler who signs with TNA, you are a fool

Wait am I reading that right?  It's not either/or...they are seriously only booking guys on show by show deals AND they still want 10% of all bookings?  So for instance, Eddie Edwards gets no guarantee he'll be back next month but he still has to kick back 10% if he works an indy date?  Fuck, man, there are pimps who treat their people better.

and that the bookings would have go through the TNA office and not yourself or your agent. At least that's how I read it. So yeah I'm sure there is a long line of guys (who can draw) waiting for that opportunity 

5 minutes ago, Stevie Ray Von Erich said:

It's hilarious that this company has lasted longer than WCW.

When you think about it, it's not shocking.  Wrestling has always been more about finding money marks than about being part of a corporate entity.  TNA just kept finding more gullible people to fund it.  WCW was more like the Peter Principle in action.  It kept failing upward until it became corporate, and then someone in a boardroom who couldn't be swayed by "we'll put ya on teevee" said, "we're paying for WHAT?" and promptly gave it the axe.  Ted Turner was absolutely a money mark.  WCW's days were numbered as soon as he was no longer in charge.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

HA!!!!

Per Meltzer - TNA will be using the theme (which will be all over the tapings)

MAKE TNA GREAT AGAIN!

So much irony. 

The people who could've made never was great TNA "great" again (like it was ever great before) have either been shitcanned or were shitcanned a long time ago and the people who nearly dug TNA's grave in the past have been hired back and have been given shiny new shovels.

It's an obvious joke, but, in all seriousness, there has never been a point where I considered TNA great in the first place.  Seriously, what was there best year?  For me. it's probably 2006.  They brought in Joe and shuttled AJ and Christopher Daniels to the X-Division, then started promoting the X-Division heavily.  But..... their heavyweight division was kinda meh and booking was often terrible outside the X-Division.  I'd hardly call that great.

It's too easy to mock this.  I want a challenge.

17 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Wait am I reading that right?  It's not either/or...they are seriously only booking guys on show by show deals AND they still want 10% of all bookings?  So for instance, Eddie Edwards gets no guarantee he'll be back next month but he still has to kick back 10% if he works an indy date?  Fuck, man, there are pimps who treat their people better.

my understanding was they had a bunch of talent on annual deals cept they would have these mass tapings where they would knock out weeks of programming over a couple of days. so from their perspective they did not want to have to pay talent so much for only a few days work. which makes sense if you can create a business relationship that works for both sides. but tna wanted things to work for their advantage. so even though the salaries are now slashed, the talents are still contractually bound to tna and are limited in the places they work. to make things even worse, their indy bookings will now be run through the tna office who will get a taste of the appearance fees. 

what's remarkable about this is how the talent gets screwed on both ends. 

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Just wait until we find out that not only does TNA have to get 10% of all bookings, but their talent has to invest in Global Gold.

Jesus, it is like when your supervisor drops by your desk with the fucking fund raiser thing from his kid's school.

• Like 5

Hasn't the 10% booking dealie been part of TNA contracts for awhile now.  From what I can remember, they went to those terms several years ago.  Most, if not all, of the wrestlers TNA has "signed" the past few years were working on per-appearance deals, without much (any?) money guaranteed,.  They've been systematically weeding out the contracts like joe and Christy Hemme, which basically put the performers on salary and paid them well.  As far as I know, announcing that they had re-signed midcarders like Spud and Zema Ion is mostly publicity since the guys were really only getting paid per appearance.  

Obviously, they still had a few guys signed to lucrative deals.  The Hardys, for example.

Yes - they have been trying to sign guys to that 10% thing for awhile but they were making exceptions for top guys. Now it appears that all folks need to that deal

The big issue is that TNA is such a small front office to begin with - they were never really trying to get guys indy bookings because they didn't really have the staff to do it. So then they were giving guys permission to get their own bookings but still taking a piece

That was fine for someone like James Storm who signed such a big money deal so he didn't care that he was literally getting maybe 1 indie match every 3 months. But lesser guys - it absolutely killed.

IF JJ manages to reunite the Flying Elvises, all will be forgiven.

In all seriousness, I wish USWA was sill around for Jeff to use as a feeder system.  Yeah, I can't believe I just typed that either,  90's USWA was mostly not good, but i tend to enjoy it.  They had a real "throw everything against the wall and see what sticks" mentality.  Just tons of wacky gimmicks.  A lot of them were terrible, but it didn't matter since you had to get over quick or be off tv a month from now.

I don't actually think bringing in 90's Brian Christopher or Doug Gilbert would make things better, but it'd shake the fed up.  Hell, I'd even be down with Spellbinder getting a big push.

30 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The new logo is better, but the aliasing on the letters for "IMPACT" are driving me crazy.

That's what happens when your one man "graphics department" spends 4 minutes on dafont.com and 3 minutes in Photoshop.

Meet the new boss, etc etc

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

QYeah? Whens that happening? The Re-Branding? I'm watching Spike right now and its still Spike.

Not for at least a year.  They're hoping to relaunch the channel as Paramount sometime in early 2018.