DVDVR Message Board

2017 WHATEVER THE HELL USED TO BE TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

24 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's amazing Simon Diamond had a job in wrestling this long.

Keeping a job was one problem Simon didn't have. Mitch and the Muskateer were great as part of Simon's entourage.

On 19/06/2017 at 2:46 PM, RIPPA said:

Since we recently brought up TNA's partners inability to air things correctly

By 'failing to show correctly' what they mean is, they replayed the previous month's show instead of showing the new one. It was still bad.

6 hours ago, Dewar said:

Dude had an amazing theme song, Dawn Marie,  and a big, vascular, Dick. He was living the dream!

The band that did Simon's theme, Drain STH were awesome. It also didn't hurt they were four hot as hell Swedish chicks. I saw them open for Filter in 1999. 

I wonder what Mitch and the Muskateer are up to now. I want to hire them to follow me around all day to keep me entertained with their wacky antics.

Yes, I still regularly do the Simon Diamond pose, in case anyone was wondering.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Whoa, Drain STH and Filter in '99? Young Me would've been so stoked, yelling "He's T-1000's brother!" in the mosh pit over and over.

At the Hammerstein no less, so it all ties together in a nice ECW bundle.

• Like 1

Follow up on the agent stuff from the newest WON

The company released agents Al Snow, Pat Kenney and Shane Helms this past week which is clearly budget-cutting. Kenney, 49, has been with the company since 2003. Snow, 53, started at the end of 2008. Helms, 42, started in 2015. They are going with Sonjay Dutt and Abyss as the agents since they can double as wrestlers. Dutt is tight with Jeff Jarrett and is in charge of finding the top unsigned talent and rebuilding the X division among other things. The fact they’ve had to start letting people go when they already have a skeleton crew to begin with, is not a good sign for right now and for Anthem’s ability to grow the company. As far as the choices went, Jarrett is going to want his people in, and Helms is also closely aligned with the Hardys, who aren’t there anymore. There is a ton of frustration with the reality that as long as they are on Pop TV, their numbers are pretty limited in what they can draw, but with the numbers they are getting and it being pro wrestling with its lack of appeal to advertisers, these numbers make it hard to get a bigger outlet. Citing what you used to do with Spike got them Pop, but in the TV world, Spike is so many years back now that it’s ancient history

I remember seeing a Tweet after the March tapings from Jarrett, I think, thanking all the crew members that worked them and there was a photo of the creative/agent guys and there were like 10 people in it.  That seemed like too many guys for a company that's barely anything more than a weekly 2-hour television broadcast.

I don't agree with letting Helms go just because he wasn't as ingrained in the old TNA regimes like Kenney/Snow were but Jarrett's gonna go with his boys.  More disappointed that there's no chance for Helms/Lee vs. Everett/Tiger One now.  Unless, maybe The Crash books it.

On 6/14/2017 at 4:41 PM, Mike Zeidler said:

On this date 12 years ago Samoa Joe signed his first contract with [the then] TNA

His debut, not OTD

This makes me so sad. That summer between the end of the Friday afternoons Fox Sports run, TNA started to get some momentum going. Joe came in and was awesome, Rhino came in and was really good, Raven's title reign was fun, then Christian and Sting show up just a few weeks apart. From Slammiversary 2005 until Bound For Glory II, TNA was infinitely better than WWE at the same time. I really thought it was on its way to becoming a substantial No. 2 promotion. 

Then Russo came back, it immediately went down the toilet. I didn't watch from spring 2007 until the build-up to Bound For Glory 2009, which had some decent stuff. There was even a stretch there that autumn that felt like the 2005-2006 run, with Joe-Daniels-AJ having awesome matches, Angle feuding with Nigel, and guys like Hernandez and Pope seemingly being built up as possible stars. 

Then came Hogan. Ugh, this company is so trash. Just one self-inflicted error after another. 

EDITED TO ADD: A lawyer might want to tell Reby she's badly damaging her family's case by getting Twitter. But then, I guess if we live in a world where the president tacitly admits to crimes during Twitter tantrums...shrug? 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2017 at 4:36 PM, RIPPA said:

Well Reby is tweeting again...

Not sure she wants to go down the road of bringing up arrest records.

Wouldn't wanna remind people how they stuck with her husband after he got like 4 DUI's in 3 months.

Per WON

Impact Wrestling's Thomas Latimer, also known as Bram, was injured last night in a match in Rome, Italy.

Nick "Magnus" Aldis, who was working on the show with Latimer, wrote that Latimer was badly injured, and was undergoing surgery. He said that he wouldn't go into specifics because he would let Latimer do so, but he said that the surgery went fine.

"He was in good spirits, but shaken up as it was a nasty injury," Aldis said.

Latimer was not in a major program with Impact and at least as of the last lineup we received, was not scheduled for the Slammiversary pay-per-view on July 2nd at the Impact Zone in Orlando, Florida.

Aldis said he was told that the surgery went fine, but that they were not very forthcoming with more information.

Aldis noted that obviously Latimer would not be able to wrestle on a show in Plymouth, England today.

DDQo2GdUIAAnMk-.jpg

In an interesting political move, Impact Wrestling will have members of warring Mexican promotions in the same tag team title match.

The company today announced for Sunday's Slammiversary pay-per-view from Orlando, that LAX would defend the Impact tag titles in a four-way match. One team announced today is Drago & El Hijo del Fantasma, who both work for AAA, the very heated rival promotion of The Crash, which Konnan, who heads the LAX group, is the booker of.

Drago's name had been bandied about since Konnan brought it up on his podcast.

At first, when Impact opened up a working relationship with AAA after already doing so with The Crash, a very unique political situation, the idea was that the talent from the two companies would never interact, but obviously that has changed. In Mexico, neither promotion allows its talent to appear on a show with anyone from the other promotion. In the U.K., there was a situation where AAA pulled a power play to force Pentagon Jr. off a show because that show was using rival talent.

Another note is that Drago and Fantasma (who is King Cuerno in LU) are both under contract to Lucha Underground exclusively for U.S. television, meaning Lucha Underground for the first time is allowing its talent to appear for another wrestling promotion on television.

Wow, that's awfully interesting.  So by allowing them I wonder what that would mean going forward.  El Hijo wouldn't be too much an issue since he's King Cuerno in LU, but Drago being used is especially surprising.