DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2017 & Beyond)

RIPPA

That's what I don't understand about Star Citizen. Create the base game or at least get that part to a beta. I mean, it's likely going to be like Elite: Dangerous in that format, but who cares.

Then add in all of this other shit as patches and updates.

I just feel bad for anyone that put in money for Pro Wrestling X. That game has literally been in development for 10+ years, its been on Steam for 2.5 years and still isn't close to done. People need to do a bit of research before giving money to some of these developers.

• Like 3

Anyone else picking up Horizon Zero Dawn? It has terrible timing for me personally since I know that 3/3 onward is Zelda Time, but I don't want to cancel my pre-order since the collector's edition has been sold out for awhile and that statue is nice. It looks really fun though.

I've been debating reupping my Gamefly account for a couple of months to play stuff that I really don't want to pay to own at the moment (Mafia 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn, etc.); however, I've never been impressed by Gamefly's rental service. I was so spoiled by Netflix's by mail service to the point that I knew how to time everything that waiting multiple days to receive something from Gamefly is frustrating given the cost of the service.

On 2/6/2017 at 9:45 AM, RIPPA said:

Having never used either service for gaming - is Redbox a cheaper option at this point in time?

Redbox video game rental price is about three bucks a day.

2 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

http://www.highhorseentertainment.com/disc-jam-ps4-sign-up/.

Beta time for the Windjammers update!

Awesome! I played the alpha on Steam and liked it a lot. Seemed like consoles were the best home for it though.

Now, where the fuck is that French made Power Stone-ish game?

So apparently - Horizon: Zero Dawn is as good as advertised

Giant Bomb - 100

XGN - 97

Polygon - 95

IGN - 93

Gamespot - 90

Game Informer - 88

Ā 

Destructoid is probably the lowest score of the "name" places giving it a 75 and reading that review it basically because it isn't a genre changing title it deserves to be punished

Game Informer andĀ GamespotĀ gave lukewarm reviews and Giant Bomb is gushing with praise?Ā  Strange days.

Since it is a PS4 exclusive, I imagine Kotaku gave it an A+++++++++++++++++++++++.

I don't think 90 and 88 on a hundred point scale are "lukewarm" for reviews.

I need to go see who reviewed it at GB. I trust Gerstmann the most in the sense that if he really likes something, it's probably worth playing because getting high scores out of him is a tough prospect.Ā 

I hope this game can somewhat fill my desire for Zelda for a few months until FIFA 18 comes out for Switch + a potential fall price drop.Ā 

The reviews for HORIZON have sent my hype into overdrive. Ā Next Tuesday cannot get here soon enough.

What sucks is I'm off work for Marie Gras that day, which should theoretically set me up for an awesome day of gaming, but theĀ UPS truck usually doesn't make it by my house until evening time.

Now that Zelda stuff is leaking it is time for me to avoid the Internet altogether for a few weeks. It is unfortunate that I start my new job on the 6th and will be moving the weekend before, so I dunno when I will get a chance to play it. But its the most excited I've been for a game in years and I'd like to go into it as clueless as possible.

Cancelling my Horizon pre-order was the hardest thing I've ever done but I knew there was no way I could play it with all the hecticness going on in my life, I'll grab it during Black Friday sales.

23 hours ago, J.T. said:

Game Informer andĀ GamespotĀ gave lukewarm reviews and Giant Bomb is gushing with praise?Ā  Strange days.

Since it is a PS4 exclusive, I imagine Kotaku gave it an A+++++++++++++++++++++++.

Kotaku UK said it misses the mark on some of the mechanics.

Here's the official review, altho I don't see a score on it.

Kotaku changed their review system at the beginning of the year to no longer give any sort of - what they described as "binary score"

Our recommendations almost immediately started being thought of as verdicts, and they felt anything but casual. Rather than acting as an auxiliary recommendation, the Yes/No became the focal point of a lot of the discussion surrounding a given review. Itā€™s easy to understand why: If you see a flaming red 135-point NO in the middle of a game review, it lodges in your mind.

We at Kotaku often joke about review scores and the futility of attempting to encapsulate a game with a 1-10 rating. Weā€™re proud that weā€™ve never had our reviews weighed and sorted by the pitiless eye of Metacritic, and similarly proud of our history of running scoreless reviews. Except, well, lately, we have been scoring our reviews. In fact, by requiring a binary Yes/No, our reviews were arguably even more reductiveā€”if less ambiguousā€”than a ten-point rating wouldā€™ve been.

The binary recommendation has been a challenge for our reviewers, as well. A bright green Yes often implied more enthusiasm than we actually felt for a flawed but ultimately recommendable game. A game might earn a No but remain interesting enough to warrant further coverage, or one of our writers might like it even though our assigned reviewer didnā€™t. That led to understandable questions from readers: Kotaku, you told us that this game isnā€™t worth playing. Why are you still writing about it?

http://kotaku.com/we-re-making-a-change-to-video-game-reviews-at-kotaku-1752356236

So - yeah there isn't going to be any "score" with the review

14 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I need to go see who reviewed it at GB. I trust Gerstmann the most in the sense that if he really likes something, it's probably worth playing because getting high scores out of him is a tough prospect.Ā 

I hope this game can somewhat fill my desire for Zelda for a few months until FIFA 18 comes out for Switch + a potential fall price drop.Ā 

I don't really see them dropping the price within the first 6-9 months.Ā  That'd actually be a sign (at least to me) that the system is bombing and I'd stay away.Ā  I can see them at least throwing some sort of pack-in game, though.Ā  I'm really surprised they're not doing that right off the bat.

Edit - if you're talking about Zelda getting a price drop - never will happen unless they do some sort of Player's Choice reprint.Ā  Nintendo games on their systems are evergreen and never drop in price, even used copies still will go for near full price years after the games come out.

5 minutes ago, Neil Koch said:

I don't really see them dropping the price within the first 6-9 months.Ā  That'd actually be a sign (at least to me) that the system is bombing and I'd stay away.Ā  I can see them at least throwing some sort of pack-in game, though.Ā  I'm really surprised they're not doing that right off the bat.

Edit - if you're talking about Zelda getting a price drop - never will happen unless they do some sort of Player's Choice reprint.Ā  Nintendo games on their systems are evergreen and never drop in price, even used copies still will go for near full price years after the games come out.

I think we'll get a 3DS-style price drop plus an ambassador program for early adopters by the holiday season. This thing is going to be a megahit in Japan, but it will bomb in the U.S. and EU, much like the 3DS did IIRC. Zelda at sixty bucks is fine forever for the amount of scope Aonuma and his team seem to have put into the game.Ā 

And wow, Gerstmann loved Horizon! Of course, he loves games that I hate, but if he likes something that I already thought that I would really like, that is a good sign.Ā 

15 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I did the same thing when I saw that Giant Bomb score. I clicked just to see who reviewed it. When I saw Jeff's name, I went "oh, it must be something because Jeff usually gives pretty jaded responses to stuff."

• Like 1