DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2017 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Marvel Entertainment and Square Enix announced today a multi-year, multi-game partnership, leading with the reveal of The Avengers project. This newly established partnership pairs the creative minds at Marvel and Square Enix for one of the most powerful alliances in interactive entertainment.

OK, I can get behind that.

On 1/26/2017 at 5:56 AM, JLSigman said:

Obsidian is teasing Pillars of Eternity 2. Should be more info today or tomorrow.

This is exciting, though I admit that I was hoping that their next project would be another Fallout game for Bethesda, except without Bethesda trying to bankrupt and buy them like they did with the New Vegas development (and like they did to Human Head with Prey, IIRC). 

I am also stoked to see Square Enix associated with Marvel. 

I am trying to be excited about Pillars of Eternity 2 but I was snakebitten by Alpha Protocol and remember how buggy KOTOR2 and Fallout"  new Vegas were, so I am now somewhat wary about anything with Obsidian's name on it.

Dungeon Siege III was a solid and simple RPG, though, and Southpark: The Stick of Truth was pretty awesome so I am cautiously optimistic about PoE2...

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am trying to be excited about Pillars of Eternity 2 but I was snakebitten by Alpha Protocol and remember how buggy KOTOR2 and Fallout"  new Vegas were, so I am now somewhat wary about anything with Obsidian's name on it.

Dungeon Siege III was a solid and simple RPG, though, and Southpark: The Stick of Truth was pretty awesome so I am cautiously optimistic about PoE2...

To be honest, PoE (and likely PoE 2) played much more like Neverwinter Nights/Baldur's Gate than anything else you mentioned. And PoE managed to release with only a few small problems, as I recall. I never could get the hang of the game (I was never good at Baldur's Gate types) but it has an amazing story and a dedicated fan base.

Double Dragon II was probably the game I played the most as a kid, so it holds a special place in my heart. I don't expect Double Dragon IV to be amazing, but I do know that when my brother comes to town next month it will be a fun walk down memory lane.

Note that it doesn't have online co-op.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:31 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Double Dragon II was probably the game I played the most as a kid, so it holds a special place in my heart. I don't expect Double Dragon IV to be amazing, but I do know that when my brother comes to town next month it will be a fun walk down memory lane.

Note that it doesn't have online co-op.

Probably will get this, but it seems odd that they are using assets from the NES version of DD2 instead of the arcade.

Square Enix working with Marvel obviously just means shoe-horning Marvel characters into Kingdom Hearts. IT IS NECESSARY FOR PLOT DEVELOPMENT. Also Star Wars.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Reports are that the another Deus Ex sequel has been cancelled

No one gives a shit about their edgy robo arms protagonist and the FPS format for the game is a bit tired.

They need to take a page from Rockstar and Ubisoft and turn Deus Ex into a sandbox shooter.

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Square Enix working with Marvel obviously just means shoe-horning Marvel characters into Kingdom Hearts. IT IS NECESSARY FOR PLOT DEVELOPMENT. Also Star Wars.

I would rather they start mining from Disney's tv shows so I can team up with Goliath & Darkwing Duck.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 9:41 AM, JLSigman said:

To be honest, PoE (and likely PoE 2) played much more like Neverwinter Nights/Baldur's Gate than anything else you mentioned. And PoE managed to release with only a few small problems, as I recall. I never could get the hang of the game (I was never good at Baldur's Gate types) but it has an amazing story and a dedicated fan base.

I totally forgot that Paradox Interactive is the publisher for this game. 

I've always hoped they'd do something with the White Wolf IP they bought back in 2015, but so far zilch. 

I still have three pipe dreams I cling on to:

1) There will be another game using the VtM or a new game using the VtR material.

2) There will be another Legacy of Kain game (what is it with me and vampire games?)

3) There will be a sequel to Skies of Arcadia.

I guess I will have to depend on Dontnod Entertainments upcoming Vampyr for my nocturnal bloodsucker video game needs.

Just when I thought that Star Citizen was going to become vaporware despite the release of the FPS component of the game (Space Marines) late last year, Cloud Imperium has announced that they are looking for linguists to help them create the five distinct alien languages that will be used in the game.

Sooner or later they are going to have to release an actual working product.