DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2017 & Beyond)

RIPPA

It's both that EA is being incredibly dumb and really fucking evil. The loot boxes thing is the new pox on video games and it's been largely whatever, but this is the most extreme example of using them. It's surprising they would use them like this on what is their biggest property.

If nothing else, maybe other developers and publishers notice how much people hate loot boxes or at least they see that progression shouldn't be tied to loot boxes. Skins, paint jobs, flair, taunts, or stuff like that? That's fine. Used in this way? Man, I just didn't think someone would have the balls to try to pull this shit.

And it just keeps getting worse. Is this dumpster fire territory? So very much like a free to play game, certain modes impose a time limit on when you can earn in game credits. People who have early access are reporting that they finished a game and there was a message saying that they couldn't earn any more credits for 3 hours. So the 3 hours is up, they play again, earn credits, and then find that they can't any more credits for another 24 hours.

Of course, they're free to buy the in game credits with cash money instead.

It really is a free to play game that they're charging $60 to $80 for. I wonder if any of this impacts how the game sells when it's actually released on Friday.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am more surprised that you guys are surprised that EA is fucking stupid

I think we're just stunned by the fact that when it seems they can sink no lower, they dig through the bottom of the barrel to find a new low point.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

If nothing else, maybe other developers and publishers notice how much people hate loot boxes or at least they see that progression shouldn't be tied to loot boxes. Skins, paint jobs, flair, taunts, or stuff like that? That's fine. Used in this way? Man, I just didn't think someone would have the balls to try to pull this shit.

The backlash about this sort of paygating in pay games is nothing new really. NBA 2K18 is clocking a whopping 26% positive on Steam reviews because of people fed up with how the career mode works, but it's yet to show a ton of actual impact in sales that I know of. Still there will come a breaking point where gamers do say enough.

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

It's both that EA is being incredibly dumb and really fucking evil. The loot boxes thing is the new pox on video games and it's been largely whatever, but this is the most extreme example of using them. It's surprising they would use them like this on what is their biggest property.

I didn't see the comma between 'flair' and 'taunts' and got excited.

I thought EA added having someone do a strut as a taunt, running off invisible ropes and doing an elbowdrop on a blaster, saying "Woooo!!!" really loudly and doing a faceplant when shot.

Any of that would be worth paying in a loot box filled game.

Also we'd like you to forget all about the fucked up treasure database for Diablo II that pretty much created the whole sell virtual shit on eBay industry.

Oh, I'm sorry.  It is against the EULA for you to pay for intellectual property that I don't have the right to sell. 

You're not doing that.  YOU ARE REIMBURSING ME FOR MY TIME AND EFFORT~!

I actually don't mind Overwatch's system at all but I do know that is a lot of people's go too for the loot box blame

Granted some of that is because I think "gamers" feel like they can't be associated with mobile games because they are "too good" for that

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Granted some of that is because I think "gamers" feel like they can't be associated with mobile games because they are "too good" for that

This is exactly right.

One of the things Giant Bomb did years ago is they would have live streams during GDC where they would invite developers in and talk to them in a mixture of Industry Q&A and Horrible Drunken Catastrophe (the Giant Bomb Way). They had Ed Boon on and they asked him about what he had seen there that had stuck with him. He talked about a panel for Puzzle & Dragons, where he said that in 2013 they had made $100 million a month. A MONTH. And that was a long time before they had actually nailed down the behaviorist aspects of lootbox reward tables and the rest of that dark math. The time to get mad and surprised at this shit was a long, long time ago, and if people didn't have the blind spots towards phone games or facebook games (which are admittedly no long As Much A Thing as they were) we maybe could have done something. I remember around then when my attitude was "WE NEED TO" whatever I thought the answer was, and now I'm just screaming "CHOKE ON IT" like Day of the Dead.

The Loot Box/Next Needed Upgrade push is what drove me away from Star Trek Online years ago, and I sort of learned my lesson it's just not for me then. I just tend to be one of those people that this style of game becomes more a job than a game at some point so I don't go there.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

.I just tend to be one of those people that this style of game becomes more a job than a game at some point so I don't go there.

This is why I try to stay away from MMOs like the plague.  Once you start scheduling your vacations around your clan raids in EverQuest, it's time to quit.

I will resist the Destiny 2 bug for as long as I can and EA is making it extremely easy to say Fuck No! to Anthem.

• Like 1

The games industry is fucking gross. The AMA with EA and Dice did go down and it was a total shitshow. Every answer defended loot boxes being a must for progression, they outright lied and said that loot boxes don't give the player an advantage (except they do, there's even an aiming assist buff you can get from them), and repeated "we'll look into it" for every question.

Been replaying DOOM on switch.  I was realllllly not digging the controls 'til I changed to the "tactical" setting.  Really wish I could rebind a couple more things.  I don't like stick click for things I'd want to use often.  Now I'm back into it and it's awesome again because the game was a secret Metroid Prime spiritual successor.  Plus, I remember most of the secret spots.  I mean, this is a game I beat twice on PC back to back and my ass just does not do that shit nowadays.

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

The games industry is fucking gross. The AMA with EA and Dice did go down and it was a total shitshow. Every answer defended loot boxes being a must for progression, they outright lied and said that loot boxes don't give the player an advantage (except they do, there's even an aiming assist buff you can get from them), and repeated "we'll look into it" for every question.

The problem with lootboxes is that mother fuckers wail and moan about unfair corporate policies and then they fucking turn around and take part in the microtransaction and purchase the lootboxes.

This shit is a self inflicted wound.  If we spoke with our wallets more often, this shit would never happen this often.

There are a lot of people on this very board who were I FUCKING HATE BUNGIE AND THEIR BULLSHIT after every Destiny DLC who are playing Destiny 2 right now. 

You know who you are.