DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2017 & Beyond)

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That' may be a good business model for its sports division, it's not a good business model for Bioware or Motive.

They are so fucked if Anthem tanks

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

They are so fucked if Anthem tanks

Bioware is fucked if Anthem tanks.

EA will continue to generate regular revenue off of its sports titles.

Their strategy makes no sense.  EA bought Bioware in order to cash in on the popularity of the ME franchise and then they do their best to totally fuck the latest installment of that franchise to the point where arguably it is dead in the water.

And now they want people to invest play time Anthem when hate is at an all time high and they add insult to injury by making you wait until next August so that you can read the DLC you should be playing as a game.

• Sad 2

BioWare is fucked even if Anthem is successful.

For EA, sale projections are completely unrealistic and almost to the point that every man, woman and child have to buy Anthem twice. They don't care how much time is spent playing or even how long, but how much they purchased.

So Anthem will get cosmetic DLC + season pass DLC + loot boxes + whatever else EA can think of to get people to spend more.

• Sad 2

Well I'm fucking sold. Looks like career (or something) might be more immersive, given the weigh-in and press conference cut scenes, so I'm game for that. I really want a mode where you can just do a career as a current roster member and not have to start at the bottom, though. Say, do one as McGregor and not be treated as a newbie in a 2016 game world (UFC2). But, yeah, I'm really looking forward to this one.

I think 2K is paying the price for not taking some time off after acquiring the licence to start from scratch. They inherited a god awful mess and you can only polish a turd so much. Their game is incredibly flawed yet still fun in large part because of the work 2K has put in the last 2 or 3 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I think 2K is paying the price for not taking some time off after acquiring the licence to start from scratch. They inherited a god awful mess and you can only polish a turd so much. Their game is incredibly flawed yet still fun in large part because of the work 2K has put in the last 2 or 3 years.

The only notable thing about the WWE 2K games now are the videos of people laughing at the game breaking/alpha copy glitches that show up in a final released game. Vince and co. don't care, they are just counting the money from people buying the game every year.

To me, the graphics for the WWE 2K games (with the most recent one I played being 2K16) still look like late PS2/early PS3 graphics. Not what I expected from a video game being released in 2017.

Holy shit, I was all set to pre-purchase Star Wars Battlefront 2, and then I read this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/11/12/fans-worry-star-wars-battlefront-2s-free-dlc-heroes-are-going-to-take-eons-to-grind-for/#2a6dd5fc3628

LOL ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! 40 in game hours to unlock ONE character? And then there's this:

2017-11-13.png

This Reddit post is now at about -350K downvotes. Craziness.

I love how developer after developer claims devoping a AAA title without fucking people is impossible even though it has been done repeatedly even in this era to great success, but okay.

I can't run away from the AAA scene fast enough these days, though luckily it is an absolute golden time to be playing games from smaller studios.

• Like 1

I know the new Mario is exactly one of those AAA games you could be talking about in not fucking over their customers, but I still find myself way more invested in Stardew Valley than Odyssey. 

As if EA didn't need to put a really strong effort to right the ship of the Battlefront series after the first one was received as basically an incomplete game. Then they do this. Fuck 'em.

WHAT THE FUCK

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-2s-microtransactions-are-a-r/1100-6454825/

Ok, so Gamespot buys $100 worth of loot boxes and that's not even half of what it would cost to unlock both Luke and Vader. It was basically cost around $260 to unlock them both.

And it would cost $760 to unlock everything. For shit that's already in the fucking game.

FUCK YOU EA 

• Like 2

There's voting with your wallet and there's saying 'hell no' and buying the game anyway.

I hope EA reconsiders this completely -- I don't mind season pass DLC at this point because I know once I buy it, that's it. With this, I worry that EA will lock normally season pass DLC behind a lootbox paywall meaning you have to have enough ingame currency to enjoy the additional content.

Keep in mind that EA recently launched Need For Speed Payback which also has in-game currency and lootboxes. I don't think anyone online will give an EA community manager a freakin' death threat over an Acura being 10,000 credits to get.

But yeah, I won't be getting Star Wars Battlefront II. And I bought (and Platinum'ed) Star Wars Battlefront.

Credit where credit is due, EA reduced the credit cost of the characters by 75%. It's a big step in the right direction.

Even still, it's astonishing that they thought they would get away with some so ludicrous. I have never seen something so shady before in video games. At least not that I recall anyway.

I think it becomes more clear by the year that with these big companies a lot of the decisions are being made by people that don't actually play or understand video games but are simply Interchangeable Corporate Parts.

That still doesn't justify that sort of potential cost, but it's all I've got.

• Like 1

Oh wait. Dammit! Fuck them! So while they reduced the amount it costs to unlock characters in the game, they also scaled down how many credits you earn after every match you play. So it's just the same horrible grind with lower amounts.

You want more bullshit?

So in EA's announcement of reducing the cost for heroes they mentioned how they were doing an AMA on Reddit on Wednesday. This morning the r/starwarsbattlefront mods were like, "we have no idea what they're talking about, no one has approached us about doing an AMA." So the mods there are completely in the dark and people speculated that it would be on r/iama.

And then the r/iama mod chimed in to say that no one contacted them either. The whole thing looks really unorganized on EA's part and it looks shady as hell.