DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2017 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I loved Super Punch Out as a kid but I dunno how it holds up, been a long long time since I played it.

Putting Star Fox 2 on there is evil, genius, and unnecessary. It would have sold without it, but it will get it even more press due to having an unreleased game. But they probably could have sold it separately and still kept the price point for the SNES Classic the same.

Putting Star Fox 2 on there is pure genius - now everyone who got pissed that the NES classic wasn't available and just made themselves a raspberry pi version of it and would theoretically be able to play any SNES game as well is still gonna be like "well fuck yea - I'll buy that cute little thing for Star Fox 2 alone!"

On 6/26/2017 at 10:46 AM, CSC said:

Putting Star Fox 2 on there is pure genius - now everyone who got pissed that the NES classic wasn't available and just made themselves a raspberry pi version of it and would theoretically be able to play any SNES game as well is still gonna be like "well fuck yea - I'll buy that cute little thing for Star Fox 2 alone!"

the retropie os plays super nintendo games and also the starfox 2 rom has been around for A While, so uh, i'mma keep these 80 bucks

Polygon ran some article about how there are some people upset that a cancelled game got released in the US before Mother 3, and I love just how much people do not understand how Not Happening Nintendo releasing English Mother 3 is. They haven't made an English translation at all. They didn't shut down the fanmade English translation with a Cease and Desist, which is more localization than Nintendo ever put into the game. The long-lasting survival of that patch is Nintendo's Unofficial Official Statement on the matter. Plus, the translation is pretty dang good! So there's that!

35 minutes ago, BL88 said:

the retropie os plays super nintendo games and also the starfox 2 rom has been around for A While, so uh, i'mma keep these 80 bucks

Except, of course, that the ROM that's been floating around is of an earlier version of Star Fox 2 and not the final GM version.

In a neat twist, it would be during the production of Star Fox Command that Cuthbert was re-acquainted with his past, ill-fated project. "During development we received a copy of the mastered Star Fox 2 ROM to play, and it was quite a blast." This ROM would have been the final game, complete with QA tweaks and ready for a release that never happened. Cuthbert is keen to point out that this version is far superior to the numerous leaked prototype ROMs which are currently doing the rounds on the web - the leaking of which has been erroneously attributed to himself. "There are a few ROMs on the net in various conditions," he states. "But the ones I checked out are all old and they don't have the randomizing Rogue-like stuff working or all the encounters in place, so you don't really get the feel of the game we were making."

Call me crazy but I'm going to cast doubt that Nintendo was actually working on a roguelike in the 1990's and that of all possible things on SNES the one and only franchise that attempted it was Star Fox, even though they didn't even attempt this on any of their major franchise titles on the system *after* the SNES. Hell I'm not even sure they tried it on Gamecube with a core title never mind the 64.

Sounds way more likely they've added that years later to me.

If there actually was an Ogre Battle: Star Fox, that's cool, but the idea is so out there I would need to see a lot for that to pass a smell test.

34 minutes ago, BL88 said:

in attempting to write a reply I realized that "twice in one day" is the most I've ever thought about Starfox, and I don't like how that feels, so instead I'll just say "ok"

ok

Star Fox 64 was a really, really good game. You missed out!

• Like 2

I'm sure they realize that with the way they left the NES Classic open on the USB port to get to the storage, if they do the same with the SNES Classic,  it's a matter of a week or two before that Star Fox 2 ROM is in the wild, right?

I think nerds on this forum, and elsewhere, don't fully realize that 99% of video game players don't mess with ROMs, certainly don't know how to/want to put through the effort of playing a ROM on their big screen TV, nor do they feel inclined on doing the steps to hack a box. The fact the NES Classic was sold out during its entire run and still sells for $230 on Ebay (not a typo) shows that. Its just a silly talking point. The fact an old ROM of Star Fox 2 exists matters not to the people that are excited about playing it on the SNES Classic. Same with Chrono Trigger or any other game. Super hardcore gamers that enjoy stealing things off the Internet aren't the target audience of these nostalgia boxes.

• Like 3

Zen Studios have announced that they'll be retiring Zen Pinball 2 this summer and migrating content toward Pinball FX3 (finally unifying the name among all platforms) which will be heavy on community tools like user-created leagues and tournaments.  I'm a little worried that they're only promising "the majority" of tables will migrate to FX3 for free but some won't due to "licensing and business challenges".

The latest news drop from the Darkest Dungeon developers suggests they're interested in a Switch release.

IS DARKEST DUNGEON COMING TO OTHER PLATFORMS?
Many of you have been asking about Switch, Xbox, tablet, and such. The short answer is that yes, other platforms are planned for release. We can’t formally announce anything just yet, but news is not far away and we can’t wait to share with you!

Ugh Bloodstained is now talking about maybe doing a staggered content release, I assume they mean like Hitman just did and the Telltale Games. People complain about DLC or whatever else being the bane of video game existence, but releasing games in chunks is my least favorite new popular thing. I never buy the game until the entire thing is released, I don't want to play 25% of a game and stop for a monh. Course my 'gaming style' is to play one game at a time, beat it, and move on so that is probably one reason why I hate it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Ugh Bloodstained is now talking about maybe doing a staggered content release, I assume they mean like Hitman just did and the Telltale Games. People complain about DLC or whatever else being the bane of video game existence, but releasing games in chunks is my least favorite new popular thing. I never buy the game until the entire thing is released, I don't want to play 25% of a game and stop for a monh. Course my 'gaming style' is to play one game at a time, beat it, and move on so that is probably one reason why I hate it.

Especially with Telltale games, they are notorious for dropping in price around the time, or soon after, the last episode is released. I think £10 for Batman was the most I've ever paid for an episodic game. Hell, most of the Telltale games have ended up on PS+ or GWG at this point. I cant justify paying twice the price and having to wait several months to finish playing a game.