DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2017 & Beyond)

RIPPA

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

The problem with lootboxes is that mother fuckers wail and moan about unfair corporate policies and then they fucking turn around and take part in the microtransaction and purchase the lootboxes.

This shit is a self inflicted wound.  If we spoke with our wallets more often, this shit would never happen this often.

There are a lot of people on this very board who were I FUCKING HATE BUNGIE AND THEIR BULLSHIT after every Destiny DLC who are playing Destiny 2 right now. 

You know who you are.

Man, we should have a "Video games are gross and manipulative" thread.

Regarding Destiny, I did wind up buying Destiny 2 primarily because word of mouth was good for it. I never played Destiny 1 beyond the first or second expansion so I wanted to see just how improved it was. I haven't gone back to the game in a month, but from I played, I liked it.

Say what you will about DLC, at least it expands on the game. We've all been buying expansions for so many different games for so many years now. I don't even care about microtransactions that don't affect progression and don't make the game pay to win. This is entirely different with this new Star Wars game and if this is the direction the industry goes in, then I'll just stick with DotA 2.

My point is that gamers are the worst consumers.  First we bitch and moan and then we enable.

We do not hit developers where they will hurt the most.

They know by now that eventually all of this ARGH, OUTRAGE~! will eventually pass.

All of these assholes screaming for EA blood because of lootboxes will be the first ones in line for the Anthem beta.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 12:23 PM, Craig H said:

Say what you will about DLC, at least it expands on the game.

Destiny DLC didn't expand the game. 

It fucking invalidated previous versions of the game and forced you to claw your way back to the median.

And then the nerfs piled on..  I was there for the whole thing even after everyone bounced to XB1 and then stopped playing entirely.

It sucked then when I was 360 Ultimo Hombre and I am not entirely convinced that it won't eventually suck after Osiris drops and shatters the game mechanics.

If all goes well, hey, I may throw on my Hunter cloak again one day.

• Like 1

Yeah so on the one hand it's nice that they removed them for now, but on the other hand it's total bullshit that they're still looking for a way to put back in an "accelerated experience." Calling Pay to Win or P2W something fancy like "accelerated experience" doesn't change that it's still the thing that is making everyone angry. That they're openly admitting to that just shoots themselves right in the foot. It's like one step forward, two steps back with these guys.

Remove the pay to win or accelerated experience bullshit, KEEP IT OUT, make microtransactions count only for cosmetics like every other game that isn't free to play, and fix the busted ass progression system.

Every company that has a game in development needs to take a hard look at what's happening with Battlefront and know that they're not going to be able to pull the same shit. 

16 hours ago, EVA said:

Some asshole at EA finally figured out that they've suffered two major PR black eyes this year and it might be a good idea to at least tone down the fuckwittery for a while until they get this new Bioware IP off of the ground.

And EA, doing the right thing after the fact is NOT a sign of goodwill.

Considering how much money Disney currently has staked in the Star Wars Brand (big sections at both theme parks, a $1000 a weekend LARP Hotel, 7 more movies, etc), they probably didn't want EA fucking things up even more.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:34 PM, dogwelder said:

Actually the rumor is that Disney is the one responsible for the change after Iger called up EA. 

I can believe that.  The Battlefront II trailers have nearly made a fucking star out of Janina Gavankar and she isn't even in a Star Wars movie yet; it's just her likeness and her voice in a video game. 

We all know that The Mouse would absolutely run with Iden Versio in INFERNO SQUAD:  A STAR WARS STORY if Battlefront II was a hit video game, but Disney can't do that if EA pisses in the well and taints the IP.

• Like 1

I moved the talk to the other video games thread, but yeah, the Washington Post seemed to confirm it was Disney's call to EA that caused EA to put the pay to win bullshit on hold for now. It's going to come back though, presumably after the holidays.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I moved the talk to the other video games thread, but yeah, the Washington Post seemed to confirm it was Disney's call to EA that caused EA to put the pay to win bullshit on hold for now. It's going to come back though, presumably after STAR WARS:  THE LAST JEDI premiers

Fixed that for ya.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well yeah, that too.

It's a twofold thing.  Disney cannot afford to have EA fuckwittery mess with their holiday box office gold mine as well as nuke another potential source of revenue should Iden Versio becomes an iconic Star Wars character like Boba Fett did after the shittiest holiday special ever of any kind.

Of course, Lucas always hated Boba Fett because of his shitty holiday special origins hence the embarrassing nature of his demise in Return of the Jedi.

• 2 weeks later...

Far Cry 5 has been delayed a month till March 27, 2018

That March 2018 window was supposed to be for Crew 2 (March 16)

Crew 2 will now come out later in the year. The official announcement was "during the 1st half of next fiscal year" so basically anytime before Oct 1

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Square Enix has revealed there will be a 3rd Tomb Raider game. And it seems - reading between the lines - that it will be out by the end of the 2018.

This pleases me. I beat Rise earlier this tear and dug it a decent bit.

Besides the surprise Breath of the Wild DLC and the Bayonetta announcement a bunch of other things came out at the Game Awards.

I will spread this out

World War Z

In the Valley of Gods