DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2017 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I've never played a Far Cry game, but I've always been tempted to. If I wanted to jump in, would it make more sense to just start with the newest one coming out soon, or try a different version first? It's basically an open world FPS, right?

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I've never played a Far Cry game, but I've always been tempted to. If I wanted to jump in, would it make more sense to just start with the newest one coming out soon, or try a different version first? It's basically an open world FPS, right?

I've played a couple Far Cry games, and they all devolve into me running around trying to hunt dangerous animals while operating the least practical vehicle possible.  Trying to hunt a tiger on a 4-wheeler is a bad idea, but also fun as shit.  

To me that sounds like a GTA session devolving into me running around trying to get my star rating up as high as possible or doing stupid shit with vehicles. You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.

Blood Dragon is definitely backwards compatible on the One since they offered it as of the Games with Gold games a few months back

Not much details yet, but...

monster-hunter-xx-switch-2.jpg

So one of the hammers has fallen. They haven't said officially that it is getting a Western release but common sense says it will. Since the game is basically an HD port with some added stuff, I am guessing it won't take too long to complete. I haven't played a Monster Hunter since 3 Ultimate on the Wii U back in 2013, so I'm excited.

I've only played Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (which is just flippin' awesome and needs a full-on PS4 port or PS4 sequel).

I've done the multiplayer trophies for Far Cry 2 and they're insane. I started the single player and...the weapons jam and explode, you have malaria and you have to use a compass to drive and dig out bullets from your skin with a pair of pliers.

I liked Far Cry 2 but the amount of backtracking just to talk to characters to let them know the mission was completed was ridiculous.  There are golden guns you can find around that won't jam.  But they got rid of the malaria and jamming in the later games.

Far Cry 2 is a fascinating game. Not sure it's where you want to start the series, though, for a few of the reasons mentioned already and some other frustrating stuff that hamper an otherwise great game. 

FC3 streamlines a lot of that stuff. Great gameplay, but the unlikeable dudebro shits that are the protagonist and his crew may turn you off a bit. 

FC4 is, in a lot of ways, more like a 3.5. Not a lot changes save for the locale and story stuff. 

Both 3 and 4 are worth the time, though. Haven't played Primal, but that seems to be a really different thing from what I've seen. 

Square Enix subsidiary, Tokyo RPG Factory, has announced LOST SPHERE, their follow-up to I AM SETSUNA.  It will be out early next year on PS4, PC......and Switch.

That last part is huge.  I loved SETSUNA, but the whole time, I couldn't help thinking that it felt made for portable play and it was weird there was no Vita port.

I think since the Switch has sold at or past expectations with no signs of slowing down, more games will be announced for 2018 on it. Basically any game that isn't really resource intensive (FF XV, COD, etc.) I'd expect to come out on the Switch if the developers can make it work, being portable is a big deal to a lot of people.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:20 AM, RIPPA said:

Need For Speed Payback

I've never been so 'eh' about a Need For Speed game. It looks like a PS4 gen version of The Run with focusing on a story that in this case is a rip off of The Fast & The Furious.

I still haven't Platinum'ed Hot Pursuit or Most Wanted (PS3) so after I do Rivals and NFS 2016, I'll probably get this at $20.

Helps when I post this in the right thread

- Pokemon fighting come coming to the switch

- Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon (alternate story line to Sun and Moon) coming to 3DS only on 11/17/17

- Pokemon Gold and Silver coming to the 3DS eShop on 9/22/17

I thought the rumour mill was saying that Rockstar's other game in development was Agent (the PS3 exclusive announced in 2011), not Bully 2?

So were the rumors of a buncha new Final Fantasy games just rumors?  The FF7 next gen remake seems at least a year or two off (as does a next gen Kingdom Hearts) and I haven't seen anything more about the next gen Final Fantasy 1-whatever (13?) that was supposedly going to come out this year.