Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

I guess the first "big" release of the year is For Honor in Feb

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It seems that the things of note for January are

Dragon Quest 8 (for the 3DS)

Gravity Rush 2

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

I guess the first "big" release of the year is For Honor in Feb

There's also a little known indie gem called Horizon: Zero Dawn in February. 

Especially lately, I've wound up with wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more physical copies than I thought I would this generation because of good sales at brick and mortar stores and Amazon Prime's preorder discounts.

It's like hey, you guys know it's costing you more to physically manufacture this shit, right?  Cut us a break.  Plus, I don't like having to get up and change discs all the time.

I think the issue boils down to (think of this more as a logic series than a bullet list, but I don't know how to make that):

A) digital downloads are still a minority of PS4 game purchases

B) however, that minority is big enough to scare physical retailers

C) therefore, big game publishers can't afford to alienate stores by providing a discount to eliminate the middle man and buy the download.

D) publishers have determined that $60 is the price point most likely to result in a profit on a AAA game when sold in retail stores

E) therefore, a game that costs $60 at Wal-Mart must cost $60 to download.

• Like 2

Yup. There was a period when $3.50 Image books were MORE expensive digitally because the Image/Diamond contract said they couldn't charge less than cover for digital, the Image/Comixology contract said they had to offer everything on CMX and the Apple policies were that all items cost $x.99.

I don't think I've ever purchased a digital game for consoles unless it was really marked down, but I also like to sell my games after I beat them to get most of the value back which I can't do for digital. I do like the inconvenience of digital games, but not the price point. And things like 'digital art books' and 'digital comics' mean nothing to me.

Buying digital games seems pointless to me when, even with pretty fast internet, it's going to take way longer for the full game to download than it would for me to just drive down to Gamestop and buy the thing. 

• Like 1

I only download digital games when they're either (1) an old favourite I'll replay (2) they're on sale and I've heard a lot of buzz

So far I've purchased zero physical copies of PS4 games (and I was always a stickler for having a physical copy of something) as the vast majority of games I want to play are indie titles these days

Talking of old favourites, has there ever been an update on the Resi 2 Remake Capcom announced in 2015?

Digital is the only way I purchase games. I have zero physical copies. But a friend and I do the share thing on PSN and alternate games so every game is basically half price. 

As far as the download speed thing- basically every game now is available for pre download before release. So if I preorder a game, it will download it ahead of time before the game releases and be available for me to play midnight on release day. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I only download digital games when they're either (1) an old favourite I'll replay (2) they're on sale and I've heard a lot of buzz

So far I've purchased zero physical copies of PS4 games (and I was always a stickler for having a physical copy of something) as the vast majority of games I want to play are indie titles these days

Talking of old favourites, has there ever been an update on the Resi 2 Remake Capcom announced in 2015?

Last word was Q1 2017, which is any day now.  There was talk of dropping it with RE7, but that was the last anyone heard if it.

4 hours ago, glfpunk said:

Digital is the only way I purchase games. I have zero physical copies. But a friend and I do the share thing on PSN and alternate games so every game is basically half price. 

As far as the download speed thing- basically every game now is available for pre download before release. So if I preorder a game, it will download it ahead of time before the game releases and be available for me to play midnight on release day. 

I feel like the PS sharing game feature is totally slept on. And I'm always waiting for Sony to put an end to it, but it's been around since the PS3 days so it's unlikely.

• Like 1

The problem with digital games is in some cases unless you've already purchased it, it's impossible to obtain once delisted. This week Activision pulled without warning Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2 and TMNT Mutants in Manhattan from purchase on PSN & Steam. The thing I worry about is eventually the digital storefront won't even have the content available for download (see Konami and P.T.) so it's a race against time at that point to go ahead and download it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I'm not buying or playing anything that takes more that 40 game hours to beat before Andromeda comes out.

That's the whole thing - I would totally be betting blind on the length of the game

But I also don't know if I can wait like 10 months to play it