DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I really admired the way Soderbergh went against every natural instinct of making a sequel that people would be satisfied with when they did 12. Ocean's 13 is okay. It's a just a retread of 11, but it has its moments.  

Another Red Band trailer for Fist Fight (language and titties)

They totally fucked up the marketing for this because all I want to see now is Ice Cube cutting fucking punk kids with an axe

• Like 2

Holy shit, the 1:53 mark.  I will watch this just to see Ice Cube spear Charlie Day into a car.

Ice Cube's awesomeness also makes me believe that voice activated Keurigs should be an actual thing.

"COFFEE, MOTHER FUCKER~!"

The Red Band trailer for Ghost In The Shell

Made a link instead of an embed because the vidcap is NSFW.

Folks who have seen Mamoru Oshii's 1995 animated film will recognize the vidcap from the NSFW Japanese promotional poster.

Spoiler

Ghostintheshellposter.jpg

and will probably mark out around the 1:07 mark when they notice that the live action movie is going to at least incorporate the Birth Of A Cyborg imagery from the animated films opening credits.

Having not watched or read Ghost in the Shell (don't start. I haven't seen more than half of a Miyazaki film either so consider my self-hatred and/or idiocy to be very deep) that looks really cool. I did just watch Blade Runner on the big screen though so I might be susceptible.

The Ghost in the Shell animated movie is a pretty polarizing piece of work. 

It tries to compress several volumes of work into a couple hours and completely lacks the political depth and barely touches on the philosophical discussion that IMO makes the manga (and the Ghost In The Shell: SAC animated series) so interesting.

On a more basic level, there are quite a few people who really hate the animation style of Oshii's film as his version of Section 9 field commander, MAJ Motoko Kusanagi.:

ghost.jpg

in no way resembles Shiro Masamune's kittenish killer cyborg from the manga.

224672-19531-116783-1-ghost-in-the-shell

It certainly looks more Anglicized and that extends to Scarlett Johansson being in the role as the third version. Then again, that brings up the topic of how to translate manga and anime in general into "real life"... and you probably just can't do it, cultural differences be damned. It's either animation or nothing. 

That does look like a lot of really shitty CGI.

Johnny Cash also doesn't suit that setting, I feel. It feels out of place... but, then again, if they include a Johnny Cash song in the movie, at least it will have one good thing going for it.

Paramount have also shelved the Friday the 13th reboot.

I'm still confused why they never made a sequel to the last reboot. It made plenty of money, and it seems like they basically abandoned it because the Nightmare reboot failed.

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

He might as well have been wearing a red shirt too

So Hollywood has gone from the Terminator 2 / The Blob reboot sci-fi trope for dissuading black people from becoming scientists (ex. do not hire African American scientists because they will create / build the thing that destroys the human race) to the classic horror movie trope to dissuade us from pursuing the sciences (ex. if you are a black scientist and there is a flesh eating alien about, you will probably die first).

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

He might as well have been wearing a red shirt too

I think the Union Jack makes up for the lack of red shirt. But yeah I don't think he dies right then at least. 

That looks really good but I can't take Ryan Reynolds seriously in anything. And though I can certainly take Jake Gyllenhall seriously, that baby face hurts him every time. 

Oh yeah Leviathan is pretty cool. Great effects. It was everything DeepStar Six wanted to be but failed miserably at. But then that wasn't hard to do. 

• Like 1