DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I want to get excited for this because I'm a mark for the Ocean's movies, but I also got excited for Ghostbusters 2016 and that turned out to be a movie that's pretty much the example of what's wrong with so many movies. I at least have more faith and trust in Steven Soderburgh to pull this off.

Also...

Spoiler

Man, fuck Danny Ocean being dead. Fingers crossed he's just faking his death.

If Oceans 8 were exactly like Ghostbusters 2016, it would mean the creatives threw all of the female leads under the bus and gave all of the funniest bits to a male supporting character, while only one of the actresses managed to brilliantly make chicken shit out of chicken salad.

14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

First Ghostbusters does an all female reboot and now Ocean's 8.

I have an idea!

DVDVR Films in association with For The LAAAAAAAADIES Productions will make an all dude reboot of Charlie's Angels featuring Chris Evans, Shemar Moore, and Will Yun Lee.

We will all be fucking rich.  I will have a talk with Fowler immediately.

Shemar Moore? Are we making this in 1999?

Kofi Siriboe is where the money is at.

9 minutes ago, (BP) said:

If Oceans 8 were exactly like Ghostbusters 2016, it would mean the creatives threw all of the female leads under the bus and gave all of the funniest bits to a male supporting character, while only one of the actresses managed to brilliantly make chicken shit out of chicken salad.

You do know that Feig thought he was doing brilliant work by having the cast improv nearly every scene and Feig they were all doing a great job. I just like that out of everyone Hemsworth and Jones killed it the most. Meanwhile, everyone else was literally stepping over each others lines as they all competed to be the Venkman not even understanding that most of Venkman's humor was really dry and witty. Wiig, McCarthy, and McKinnon just tried to be as loud as possible. And while Hemsworth and Jones had the funniest stuff because they wound up being the silliest while improving their scenes, it still didn't help the movie. Not every needs to be the funniest person. That's why Jones was the best out of everyone because she wasn't always trying to be the funny one.

There was some shit being said about Mr. Plinkett's review of Ghostbusters 2016, but it's a thorough dissection of an incredibly poor movie. I hope that isn't needed for Ocean's 8. Again, having Soderbergh direct gives me a ton of hope. Ocean's 8 could also be a turd and I would still like it because I also like Ocean's 12...

37 minutes ago, J.T. said:

First Ghostbusters does an all female reboot and now Ocean's 8.

I have an idea!

DVDVR Films in association with For The LAAAAAAAADIES Productions will make an all dude reboot of Charlie's Angels featuring Chris Evans, Shemar Moore, and Will Yun Lee.

We will all be fucking rich.  I will have a talk with Fowler immediately.

My idea for the new Charlie's Angels was to have the villains be the "original" Angels from like the early 70s who are grumpy old men misogynists that can't stand Charlie's Angels program becoming solely comprised of women. Just get like Michael Douglas, Kevin Costner, and...someone else from that generation who hasn't gone down in flames due to recent sexual assault allegations. 

29 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Shemar Moore? Are we making this in 1999?

Kofi Siriboe is where the money is at.

I am preparing for the eventuality where the budget office says we cannot afford Kofi.

Just now, J.T. said:

I am preparing for the eventuality where the budget office says we cannot afford Kofi.

Shemar is getting those CBS checks now. If we can't afford the guy on OWN gonna imagine Shemar is going to want like 5x that at least.

37 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You do know that Feig thought he was doing brilliant work by having the cast improv nearly every scene and Feig they were all doing a great job. I just like that out of everyone Hemsworth and Jones killed it the most. Meanwhile, everyone else was literally stepping over each others lines as they all competed to be the Venkman not even understanding that most of Venkman's humor was really dry and witty. Wiig, McCarthy, and McKinnon just tried to be as loud as possible. And while Hemsworth and Jones had the funniest stuff because they wound up being the silliest while improving their scenes, it still didn't help the movie. Not every needs to be the funniest person. That's why Jones was the best out of everyone because she wasn't always trying to be the funny one.

There was some shit being said about Mr. Plinkett's review of Ghostbusters 2016, but it's a thorough dissection of an incredibly poor movie. I hope that isn't needed for Ocean's 8. Again, having Soderbergh direct gives me a ton of hope. Ocean's 8 could also be a turd and I would still like it because I also like Ocean's 12...

I thought it was an alright movie, but it definitely felt like a lot of stuff wasn't hitting. Now, I didn't know that the cast was doing improv. That would explain some of the awkwardness.

FWIW is Misha Green is remaking Cleopatra Jones and Universal (or whoever owns the rights)  is trying to remake Super Fly. Fine with the former and hard pass on the latter. 

Speaking of Charlie's Angels, I want someone to remake Sugar Hill (the blaxploitation one and not the Wesley Snipes and the guy from the Five Heartbeats one which was also good BTW). Based on the similar resemblance to Marki Bey in her prime, Zazie Beetz would kill the shit out that.  Nicole Ari Parker would have been perfect but she is a bit too old now.

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Shemar is getting those CBS checks now. If we can't afford the guy on OWN gonna imagine Shemar is going to want like 5x that at least.

Oprah's money intimidates me more than CBS's, especially since we're talking about possibly fucking over Ava Duvernay's Queen Sugar for a couple of episodes.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Oprah's money intimidates me more than CBS's, especially since we're talking about possibly fucking over Ava Duvernay's Queen Sugar for a couple of episodes.

We can't compete with scale? I mean the cast of Greenleaf can't be making THAT much money.

FWIW is Misha Green is remaking Cleopatra Jones and Universal (or whoever owns the rights)  is trying to remake Super Fly. Fine with the former and hard pass on the latter. 

The world could use a Cleopatra Jones reboot as a period piece or even set in modern times.

I love Super Fly but yeah, hard pass on heroin pusher anti-hero reboot.

Speaking of Charlie's Angels, I want someone to remake Sugar Hill (the blaxploitation one and not the Wesley Snipes and the guy from the Five Heartbeats one which was also good BTW). Based on the similar resemblance to Marki Bey in her prime, Zazie Beetz would kill the shit out that. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this weren't rolling around Jordan Peele's noggin right now.

TBH, I am surprised that Queen Nefertari Productions (black horror outfit out of SoCal) or Mario Van Peeble's MPTV / XLerator haven't jumped on this yet.

Or even Spike.  He did that remake of Ganja & Hess a while back.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Or even Spike.  He did that remake of Ganja & Hess a while back.

That was a bit of a mess. I get where he was going but it was sorta plodding.

I love Super Fly but yeah, hard pass on heroin pusher anti-hero reboot.

No Curtis Mayfield = none of my money

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Ocean's 8

Director: Gary Ross

Starring lots and lots of people

So, this gives me even more hope. I thought Steven Soderbergh was directing it, but even if he isn't if feels a lot like he is. Also was wondering if there would be any of the Italian jazzy type music in the trailer and then that kicks in after the midway point so hopefully the score remains faithful to the previous movies too.

I'm just setting myself up for disappointment.

Initially I got REALLY FUCKING EXCITED and then I saw that Denis Villeneuve wasn't directing it. Sicario is still one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

Even still, it looks fucking awesome.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2017 at 1:55 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I thought it was an alright movie, but it definitely felt like a lot of stuff wasn't hitting. Now, I didn't know that the cast was doing improv. That would explain some of the awkwardness.

Speaking of Charlie's Angels, I want someone to remake Sugar Hill (the blaxploitation one and not the Wesley Snipes and the guy from the Five Heartbeats one which was also good BTW). Based on the similar resemblance to Marki Bey in her prime, Zazie Beetz would kill the shit out that.  Nicole Ari Parker would have been perfect but she is a bit too old now.

At least that "let's remake Dolemite with Snoop or Cube as Dolemite" bullshit never got off the ground...fuck that would've been terrible...

1 hour ago, The Comedian said:

At least that "let's remake Dolemite with Snoop or Cube as Dolemite" bullshit never got off the ground...fuck that would've been terrible...

The thing is the Dolemite movies (and the other Rudy Ray Moore films from that era) were suppose to be comically bad.  You can remake Dolemite if it's in the vain of a Black Dynamite. Shit, Bullhorn from Black Dynamite is note for note Rudy Ray Moore material.