DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

That is the one thing that people don't seem to appreciate about Sabin his philosophy behind who got hired to be a Power Ranger. 

"Okay, let's find some kids that are really good gymnasts or are actual martial artists and we will teach them this acting shit later."

I have seen Jason David Frank compete in an amateur MMA Bout once and he won via tap out to an armbar and made it look easy.

The Green Ranger looked like a badass fighter because he was a badass fighter.  Those kids had legit skills.

29 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Probably why Amy Jo Johnson is the only one that actually did anything noteworthy after the show.

Yeah, being cast as a Power Ranger was just as much of a curse as making the cover of Madden was.

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I can't tell you how happy I am to misremember Tommy Oliver's name too. My memory either needs to be consistently good or consistently bad.

I only remember the kids from the Mighty Morphin-ish era.  

My cousin outgrew Power Rangers when he turned thirteen so I was spared the curse of remembering anything Power Rangers related after Zeo went off the air. 

I backslid a little when PR In Space was on because I started looking after a co-worker's kids after work as a favor and discovered that Patricia Ja Lee and Tracey Lynn Cruz were REALLY CUTE~!

The ONLY reason I remembered Tommy's last name was because he came back for Dino Thunder and was the adult of the group and got him some powers back.

Yes, I was still watching it as far along as Dino Thunder, fuck off!

There's a possibly untrue story that when JDF started on the show, the stuntmen had to take him aside and be like "this is acting, don't actually kick the shit out of us"

*Looks at his Power Rangers DVD collection, says nothing more*

I remember when the very first episode of Power Rangers came on after school and I was all excited to watch it, watched it, then proclaimed to my parents "eh, it's like they took Transformers and Voltron and mixed it together. It's okay"

Boy I was a little smark bastard even then

It feels weird seeing all of you talk about Power Rangers and know so much. I didn't realize so many here were young enough to have watched and enjoyed the original series as kids. The last series I can recall watching was Power Rangers in Space. The trailers for the new movie just feels weird to me with the darker & edgier push though the latest one wasn't too bad.

I was like ten or eleven when the show debuted, so it was probably the last big kids show fad for me.

But then I got bored and put it on on Netflix one night and fell back in love with it, in all its glorious stupidity.

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There's a possibly untrue story that when JDF started on the show, the stuntmen had to take him aside and be like "this is acting, don't actually kick the shit out of us"

*Looks at his Power Rangers DVD collection, says nothing more*

I would think that an accomplished martial artist like JDF would have no problem pulling his techniques.  If anything, the problem would be his speed. 

If JDF went through the choreography at full tilt, you'd barely see his movements.  Part of the reason that the fight scenes look so corny is that it is designed so that the camera is able to keep up with the action.

For some reason, it has always bugged me that Super Sentai does not have as big of global following as Power Rangers.

Colossal

Anne Hathaway, Jason Sudeikis, Dan Stevens

It appears to be Sci-Fi Comedy (at least via the trailer) but it is directed by Nacho Vigalondo so things will probably get dark too

Nacho Vigalondo?  Yikes, that movie is going to get all kinds of black in Act II.

It's not his first dark sci-fi comedy rodeo.  I've heard good and bad things about Extraterrestre.

Colossal intrigues me because I am curious to see what he does with a decent budget.

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Nacho Vigalondo?  Yikes, that movie is going to get all kinds of black in Act II>

Saw it last September at TIFF, and this is accurate.  It's a very good movie though.

There's one particular scene that, while not dark, is such an unusual way of handling things that I almost want to go see it again just to check whether they left it in.

22 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Probably why Amy Jo Johnson is the only one that actually did anything noteworthy after the show.

I, too, remember that glorious movie Infested. Funnily enough, I was watching some videos of GoodBadFlicks last night, and he went through the entire movie. If you can spare a dozen minutes and aren't familiar with Infested, do give it a watch. It spares you from having to watch the actual movie.

36 minutes ago, Roman said:

I, too, remember that glorious movie Infested. Funnily enough, I was watching some videos of GoodBadFlicks last night, and he went through the entire movie. If you can spare a dozen minutes and aren't familiar with Infested, do give it a watch. It spares you from having to watch the actual movie.

Heh. :)

I don't think he was talking about Infested so much as he was talking about Amy Jo's steady career in television while also writing, directing and producing her own films.

Infested is pretty horrible, but at least it doesn't take itself seriously.  Her vampire flick, Cold Hearts, wasn't half bad.

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I think he is talking about seeing her boobs

TMK, she only showed her cans legit in one movie.  Pursuit of Happiness.  Those who do not want their collective childhoods murdered should not research this.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

She only showed her cans legit in one movie.  Pursuit of Happiness.  Those who do not want their collective childhoods murdered should not research this.

As it as traumatic as Julie Andrews ripping off her top in SOB?