DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Mountain Between Us

Idris Elba and Kate Winslet (and a dog somehow) are gonna fuck and then die out in the cold

Goddammit...

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

FUCK YEAH, ADAM WINGARD~!

We already know from the Skull Island joint that Kong is the babyface of the monster world so Godzilla is obviously going to be the heel in this movie. 

If Wingard is allowed to use the Shin Godzilla incarnation in the feature, I may die in the theater.

Isn't this supposed to be based in the same universe as the 2014 US movie? If so then both are faces. Honestly Skull Island's post credits scenes made it somewhat obvious the big bad is King Ghidorah.

40 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Isn't this supposed to be based in the same universe as the 2014 US movie?

It depends on whether or not Universal allows Legendary Pictures to collaborate further with Warner Brothers, but two upcoming projects (Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs. Kong) shows that this will be the case for a while..

It's weird because Legendary produced the 2014 Dracula film that will probably be disregarded in Universal's Monster Universe but aren't producing the upcoming Mummy film. Yet, they sent Skull Island and the rest of the Godzilla/Kong films to WB. So what was the point of the split from Warner Bros? Because Jurassic World has been Legendary's only hit big budget film with Universal. The other hit was the moderately budgeted Straight Outta Compton, which was only a hit really because every black person (including myself) saw that film.

Legendary must have really thought the future was bleak at WB after Man of Steel and the constant changeover in the WB offices. That's the only logical explanation I can think of unless they really love co-producing films with Chinese conglomerates. 

• Like 1

I'm wondering if they're going to run the "rivals who become reluctant tag partners" angle with Godzilla and Kong.  They can feud with eachother for the first half then end up teaming when the actual big bad shows up.

I love Agatha Christie and proper British mysteries, so I'm in.

I'm looking forward to complaints of future trailers spoiling things for an oft told story that is over eighty years old.

• Like 1

Another Baby Driver trailer

I might cool it with pimping your RT score when you are still a month out but gotta get the word out...

Literally all it takes to sell me on Baby Driver is phrase "directed by Edgar Wright"

They've set up that both Kong and Godzilla are protector creatures of some sort. Which is an interesting starting point at least.

• Like 1

Baby Driver looks so slick. I can't wait. I'm a sucker for car driving and car stunts. Add in the interesting cast being directed by Edgar Wright and I'm all in.

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Another Baby Driver trailer

I might cool it with pimping your RT score when you are still a month out but gotta get the word out...

This movie will destroy quite a few ballots in the Blockbuster Pool.

The "Creatures" of the Dark Universe (for at least now)

• Mummy
  • Bride of Frankenstein
  • Dracula
  • Creature From the Black Lagoon
  • Phantom of the Opera
  • Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • Invisible Man
  • Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde

They are not all getting their own movies (like Russell Crowe's Jekyll/Hyde is supposed to be in every movie)

Universal is giving The Wolfman (2010) the la la la la treatment.  Deservedly so since it made nearly $140 Million against a $150 Million budget, making it one of the biggest box office flops of all time.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Universal is giving The Wolfman (2010) the la la la la treatment.  Deservedly so since it made nearly $140 Million against a $150 Million budget, making it one of the biggest box office flops of all time.

Well that and that terrible Dracula movie

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

• Mummy
  • Bride of Frankenstein
  • Dracula
  • Phantom of the Opera
  • Invisible Man
  • Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde

They are not all getting their own movies (like Russell Crowe's Jekyll/Hyde is supposed to be in every movie)

There's only three real monsters, kid: Dracula, Blacula, and Son of Kong.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

First thing I thought of was Blacula, then I started hoping for a Blaxploitation shared universe instead.

I love the movie, Blacula, but there is a perfectly fine traditional vampire story in there without resorting to the YOU SHALL BE.... BLACULA~! bullshit.

At least I still have Ganja And Hess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

• Mummy
  • Bride of Frankenstein
  • Dracula
  • Phantom of the Opera
  • Invisible Man
  • Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde

Yeah, looking at this, all I can think is half of those movies probably won't get made and this "dark universe" will just fail.

Stop trying to be like the MCU.

I am bummed that the Hunchback of Notre Dame is on that monster movie list.. 

IT IS A BEAUTIFUL TALE OF UNREQUITED LOVE AND REVENGE, ASSHOLES~!

I have been ready for a quality reboot of The Creature From The Black Lagoon for over twenty years.  It is arguably my favorite classic Universal monster movie.

I think they are banking on star power to carry them since - besides Crowe and Cruise - they already have Johnny Depp and Javier Bardem secured

I mean the dude in charge of it all thinks he can get the Rock, Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Lawrence, Charlize Theron and Michael Fassbender