DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Since he started as Bond, his onliy real stabs at another big box office hit have been the American version of GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO and COWBOYS AND ALIENS.  They did not exactly set the world on fire.  Everything else has been smaller films, voice acting, and cameo-type stuff.

Apparently for the film Dream House, Craig and Rachel Weisz (who got married shortly after shooting the film) decided not promote the film since they hated the final cut so much. I'm thinking that has created a bit of ill will towards Daniel Craig amongst anyone who isn't Barbara Broccoli. 

He was more interesting before he was Bond, in the late 90s. When he was making Our Friends in the North and Love is the Devil. But when you look at his career, there's really no reason he should have succeeded as Bond. His only real blockbuster prior to it was Tomb Raider, and he made next to no impression during that. Layer Cake was a bigger hit than it was supposed to be, but it wasn't big big, was it?

He's great in Road to Perdition, but so was everyone else except Jude Law.

I kinda feel it's the great forgotten movie of the early 00's. Just fucking great

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daynek said:

FULL HD Trailer

It is weird.  I am not sure how to feel about this pending movie.

I kinda hate the kid playing Jake Chambers and I don't like the The Good, The Bad, And The Wardrobe / The Neverending Gunslinger Story feeling I'm getting from the setting, but then Roland's gun-fu reloads are EXACTLY the way I imagined they would be and Matthew McConaughey is as reptilian looking and malevolent as I expected Walter O'Dim / The Walkin' Dude / Randal Flagg to be, and suddenly I am okay with it.

There isn't too much to remember about the US version of Dragon Tattoo.  It is nearly a shot for shot remake of the Sweedish original with the only remarkable thing being that Rooney Mara went all in on the role of Lisbeth Salander.

She was fucking aces.  Craig was there to earn a paycheck.

53 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

That Dark Tower trailer made me think of Masters of the Universe. Take from that what you will...

One the one hand you had Meg Foster being hot and Frank Langella being awesome.

On the other hand you had Billy Barty the Magical Gnome wearing the worst movie make-up ever and boring the hell out of you with talk of magic and music and shit.

The only thing missing from that Dark Tower trailer was Walter O'Dim driving through the streets of New York in a Buick Encore with license plates CRMZN-K and then the announcer dude would've said something about a PG-13 rating.

Then I could've been like, "Okay, fuck that shit."

But then Idris starts reciting the "I do not aim with my hand..." mantra in the trailer and I suddenly find myself wanting to hear that shit in Dolby.

I know I will lose my shit if I see “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." on the screen with title treatment right before the action starts. 

• Like 1

I think it looks good, especially since it's a continuation of the Dark Tower books. They're not exactly beholden to any of the weirder parts of the series and take their own path. What would be wild is if:

Spoiler

Just like in the series, Roland gets to the Dark Tower and discovers that there's no end to the misery he'll endure. He's just on an endless loop of getting to the tower and going through it all over and over again. Except, maybe they do a Neon Genesis Evangelion thing and Roland decides whether to let everyone survive or bring down the tower and end his misery, and he chooses the latter.

44 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Is it the lack of synthesizers being integral to the plot?

More the lack of Meg Foster

Masters was the very first movie my dad took me to as a kid. He certainly didn't know there would be a subplot involving someone's parents dying... 

Having no emotional investment at all in the original series, I'll just say Dark Tower looks pretty neat and I'll catch it on DVD

King tweeted this in response to the Idris Elba as Roland thing.

tumblr_nz9425eMwi1sick48o1_500.jpg

And I have the same issues with The Dark Tower as I do with Game of Thrones.  King has to stay alive long enough to finish it.

And that can be problematic because King isn't exactly known for his ability to write satisfying endings for his long prose.

25 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Wait, he's writing more Dark Tower? 

The core story "ended" with the rapid wrap-up in Book VI but time paradoxes and alternate dimensions being what they are, it is uncertain what "finished" really is as far as the story goes. 

I mean seriously, the first sentence of The Gunslinger is the last sentence of The Dark Tower.

The man in black fled through the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

King has also left enough timeline open for "insertions" like The Wind Through The Keyhole which is the most recent book, but takes place in between Wizard & Glass and Wolves of the Calla.

King's obviously not completely done telling stories about the Ka-Tet and their mythology no more than Clive Barker ever stops thinking about Weaveworld.

• Like 1

I'm still confused because at the end of the series:

Spoiler

Roland makes it to the Dark Tower and discovers he's on a time loop and he's been there before and he's destined to be there again. Time is a flat circle and all that. Then he leaves. The only difference is that he has the Horn of Eld after jumping back to the beginning of his journey, an item the Idris Elba Roland now has. I took it as if anything will bring finality to the Dark Tower, it's going to be this movie series and thus ends Roland's time loop.

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm still confused because at the end of the series:

Reveal hidden contents

Roland makes it to the Dark Tower and discovers he's on a time loop and he's been there before and he's destined to be there again. Time is a flat circle and all that. Then he leaves. The only difference is that he has the Horn of Eld after jumping back to the beginning of his journey, an item the Idris Elba Roland now has. I took it as if anything will bring finality to the Dark Tower, it's going to be this movie series and thus ends Roland's time loop.

Don't forget that:

Spoiler

IIRC, the cast of the movie also filmed some of the episodes of the limited mini-series that is supposed to be based on the events of three to five of the Dark Tower novels so shit won't even be close to conclusion by the end of this movie.

Roland has all of his fingers on his right hand in the trailer so obviously they will stop short of The Drawing of the Three in this movie.

Just now, J.T. said:

Don't forget that:

Hide contents

IIRC, the cast of the movie also filmed the limited mini-series that is supposed to be based on the events of three to five of the Dark Tower novels so shit won't even be close to conclusion by the end of this movie.

Roland has all of his fingers on his right hand in the trailer so obviously they will stop short of The Drawing of the Three in this movie.

Spoiler

That's what I'm saying though, Roland doesn't have to lose any of his digits. Not everyone around him has to die. The same events that happened before don't need to happen again. He stepped out of the tower and was back to the beginning. Based on a couple quotes from the trailer and word from Stephen King himself, this is a "sequel" to the Dark Tower series or rather, what happens after Roland returns to the start of his journey, except this time he'll have the Horn of Eld with him.

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That's what I'm saying though, Roland doesn't have to lose any of his digits. Not everyone around him has to die. The same events that happened before don't need to happen again. He stepped out of the tower and was back to the beginning. Based on a couple quotes from the trailer and word from Stephen King himself, this is a "sequel" to the Dark Tower series or rather, what happens after Roland returns to the start of his journey, except this time he'll have the Horn of Eld with him.

Well yeah

Spoiler

I'm not crazy about the whole bit with the Lobstrocity, but Drawing of the Three introduces Eddie Dean and Susannah Dean (sorta) who are core members of the Ka-Tet and Roland doesn't really learn how to trust other people until he has to depend on other people for help and he also learns that not every challenge they face will be solved with bullets.

Roland losing his fingers is kinda important to the story because that's sorta the catalyst of the formation of the Ka-Tet..

You can't really introduce any important companions in The Waste Lands because mother fucking Shardik and Blaine the mother fucking Mono need to be on screen as much as possible.

Maybe they do the time loop thing and maybe they don't.  King may be counting on the script writers to solve that for him and give a proper ending to the live action version of saga.  I honestly believe that the time loop in Book VI is King's acknowledgement that his endings to long prose have sometimes left a lot to be desired, so the tale starts all over again to avoid a hard conclusion..

One, it's a sequel and two (more importantly), it's also supposed to be the ending

can-the-dark-tower-movie-improve-upon-st

I mean, according to this promotional material which could easily just be ignored in the long run.  

On the "things can and will be different" tip, maybe don't have Stephen King as an integral character and don't job out both Big Bads in ridiculous and unsatisfying ways.

Shane Salerno - who wrote Armageddon and Savages and supposedly all the Avatar sequels - has been tapped to do the screenplay for the Gears of War movie