DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

This portends to be a VERY good weekend for horror fans.  

Get Out is currently sitting at a perfect 100% on RT. 

Also, reposting because I don't want to let this fly under the radar.  Currently at 83% on RT:

The Girl With All The Gifts

Starring Gemma Arterton 

• Like 1

I was under the impression that it already had a limited release, but it looks like that's going down this weekend.

AxB is correct, the story is pretty awesome so I have high expectations of the movie.

And here's the full trailer for Alien: Covenant:

You know how you couldn't really tell if Evil Dead 2 was a sequel to the Evil Dead, or a remake of it? Yeah, that.

It's the natural evolution though, and the thing we were kinda hoping Prometheus would be, so I don't get your point. I expect it to continue to pose the big questions from Prometheus albeit with the tropes we expected/wanted from Alien. AxB nailed it with the Evil Dead comparison.

What's the timeline for the Alien films, specifically Prometheus > Covenant > Alien?

I watched Alien the other night and forgot that the Engineer was fossilized when the Nostromo crew investigate, so I can't see how it all ties together. Unless Paradise is LV 426 and it's made desolate on purpose (through part-terraforming maybe) at the end of the film to encourage people to never visit #speculation

• Like 1

WAR MACHINE

Netflix has debuted the first trailer for War Machine, coming to the streaming service on May 26.

An absurdist war story for our times, writer-director David Michôd (Animal Kingdom) recreates a U.S. General’s roller-coaster rise and fall as part reality, part savage parody – raising the specter of just where the line between them lies today. His is an exploration of a born leader’s ultra-confident march right into the dark heart of folly. At the story’s core is Brad Pitt’s sly take on a successful, charismatic four-star general who leapt in like a rock star to command NATO forces in Afghanistan, only to be taken down by a journalist’s no-holds-barred exposé.

The Netflix original film is based on the book “The Operators: The Wild & Terrifying Inside Story of America’s War in Afghanistan,” by the late journalist Michael Hastings.

Joining Pitt in War Machine is a highly-decorated cast including Tilda Swinton, Sir Ben Kingsley, Anthony Michael Hall, Topher Grace, Will Poulter, Lakeith Stanfield, Emory Cohen, John Magaro, RJ Cyler, Alan Ruck, Scoot McNairy and Meg Tilly. Ian Bryce and Plan B’s Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner and Brad Pitt serve as producers. James Skotchdopole serves as executive producer.

So, far as Alien: Covenant goes, I'm guessing we're getting some sort of explaination of how the Xenomorphs got from the prototype form from Prometheus to the baddies we all know and love in between one movie, it seems.

And I'm guessing no one lives through this and somehow the ship gets to LV426.

7 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

What's the timeline for the Alien films, specifically Prometheus > Covenant > Alien?

I watched Alien the other night and forgot that the Engineer was fossilized when the Nostromo crew investigate, so I can't see how it all ties together. Unless Paradise is LV 426 and it's made desolate on purpose (through part-terraforming maybe) at the end of the film to encourage people to never visit #speculation

Prometheus was supposed to come before Alien as an explicit prequel, with the planet the Prometheus crew investigating being LV-426.  Then the whole thing got changed around, by Scott, studio meddling, or both, depending on who is telling the story at any given time.  So LV-426 became LV-223 despite the fact that we see the SAME engineer ("space jockey") wreck as in the original film but we're supposed to accept that it's a different planet.  So stupid.

The original script for Prometheus ("Alien: Engineers") is online and its not that different, but all the small stuff that got removed in the name of not making it a "prequel" and trying to desperately to reach a larger audience really added up to hurt the film.

I like Prometheus, but that movie has major problems. I'm not even sure I care about the xenomorphs. I would have been far more interested in a film that explored these Engineers, the creation of the human race, humans who set out to find this planet to learn about their origins, discovering the Engineers, and learning that the Engineers might now be trying to end the experiment of the human race. You could do all of that without the idiot scientists, without the weird abortion scene, without an Engineer turning into a xenomorph, without running from a giant wheel of doom, etc. For the people that would call that boring, I'll just point out that the Martian and Arrival are both outstanding movies without a great deal of action where much of the intrigue and suspense doesn't have to come from the usual dumb Hollywood things.

And then do this sequel further exploring whether or not humans were some kind of grand experiment, why the Engineers are trying to end the human race, learn about the origins of the xenomorphs, attempting to discover if we can populate another planet, defying the Engineers, etc. Once again, you can do all of this without all of the dumb Hollywood shit.

Or maybe I just want boring, sci-fi movies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I like Prometheus, but that movie has major problems. I'm not even sure I care about the xenomorphs. I would have been far more interested in a film that explored these Engineers, the creation of the human race, humans who set out to find this planet to learn about their origins, discovering the Engineers, and learning that the Engineers might now be trying to end the experiment of the human race. You could do all of that without the idiot scientists, without the weird abortion scene, without an Engineer turning into a xenomorph, without running from a giant wheel of doom, etc. For the people that would call that boring, I'll just point out that the Martian and Arrival are both outstanding movies without a great deal of action where much of the intrigue and suspense doesn't have to come from the usual dumb Hollywood things.

And then do this sequel further exploring whether or not humans were some kind of grand experiment, why the Engineers are trying to end the human race, learn about the origins of the xenomorphs, attempting to discover if we can populate another planet, defying the Engineers, etc. Once again, you can do all of this without all of the dumb Hollywood shit.

Or maybe I just want boring, sci-fi movies.

All that sounds awesome.  I'd have much rather watched the movie you're pitching instead of what we got.  Seriously, if you decide that you don't want an Alien prequel, scrub ALL Alien shit out and start over.  Bringing in Lindelof for a last minute rewrite and then editing to clumsily strip out some Alien elements and leaving the ones in that were too hard to remove just meant they left two audiences unfulfilled.

• Like 1

After watching that new Alien trailer I have to reiterate that for this franchise, CGI is the goddamn devil. The poster scares me more than that screencap.

It'll be funny when someone edits Danny McBride's death to have the Smokey theme playing over it though

My point was only that at the end of Prometheus, you have Noomi and Michael Fassebender's head in an alien ship off to try to discover more about them.. I'd much rather watch that movie than the one they filmed. . . . 

• Like 2

Come on dude, how do you know we don't get that in part? What I've inferred from the trailers is essentially that David and Shaw reached the Engineer homeworld only they brought the WMD with them. So they've gone there for answers only they've brought the virus with the ship and its infected the lush planet and probably wiped everything out by proxy. Ties into the whole creations destroying their creators vibe I think Ridley's going for. I'm interested to see how Shaw fits into all this 

That movie can only be redeemed if somewhere in the final quarter, Sparrow gets tied between two ships and torn apart when the ships sail away from each other. With full, coloured detail and appropriate sound effects.

Prediction: There will be another Pirates movie where Captain Jack Sparrow discovers a wormhole that takes him to present day. That's the only next logical step I can think of if the series continues.