DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm perfectly fine with them just reusing the soundtrack. Those are jams.

Lily James was a revelation in Baby Driver and I'd watch pretty much anything with her in it.

I shamelessly popped for the grandmother reveal, although her being Meryl Streep's mother requires some suspension of disbelief. But I guess Meryl has to be playing like twenty years younger than her actual age for anything in Mama Mia to make sense anyway. 

On 12/18/2017 at 10:04 AM, Craig H said:

I want to get excited for this because I'm a mark for the Ocean's movies, but I also got excited for Ghostbusters 2016 and that turned out to be a movie that's pretty much the example of what's wrong with so many movies. I at least have more faith and trust in Steven Soderburgh to pull this off.

Also...

Reveal hidden contents

Man, fuck Danny Ocean being dead. Fingers crossed he's just faking his death.

Spoiler

That scene seems an obvious point for either Danny or Tess to do a cameo.

• Like 1

I watched Overboard like 45 times on TBS back in the day, and the plot of the original doesn't exactly work for 2017 either. Poor white trash guy kidnaps woman and brings her back home to his family is a Denis Villeneuve thriller.

Who in their right mind would think Overboard should be remade?  Swapping genders out doesn't exactly make the premise less hokey.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I watched Overboard like 45 times on TBS back in the day, and the plot of the original doesn't exactly work for 2017 either. Poor white trash guy kidnaps woman and brings her back home to his family is a Denis Villeneuve thriller.

Who in their right mind would think Overboard should be remade?  Swapping genders out doesn't exactly make the premise less hokey.

Yeah. I hadn't even watched the trailer when I posted that, just going off memory of that movie being on cable. I mean, my God, how do you even pitch a remake of "Kidnapping by Gaslighting, the romcom"?

• Haha 2

On 12/27/2017 at 12:58 PM, RIPPA said:

I missed this a couple of weeks ago but Sylvester Stallone has stepped away from directing Creed 2 as he thinks he is no longer in touch with the kids

Lol, Stallone didn't actually say that, did he?  I mean, it's probably true, but those "kids" he originally lost touch with are in their 40's now.  Actually, the idea that Stallone is still in touch with today's youth culture is sorta disturbing - kinda like when my nephew tried to teach my 74-year-old father about "the street" (made even more comical by the fact that my nephew is a sheltered upper middle-class white kid who lives in small college town, attends a pricey small catholic high school, and has a dad who makes a few hundred grand a year and gives the kids whatever they want.  His experience with street culture comes mostly from cable).

Replace Kurt Russell with John C. Reilly. Replace Goldie Hawn with Melissa McCarthy.

1st 30 minutes play it as a weird comedy

Next 30 mins it becomes a 10 Cloverfield-like suspense movie.

Last 30 mins, Melissa McCarthy gets her memory back and turns out to be like the guy in Split and it becomes Freddie vs. Jason on a boat.

Note: Yes, I'm talking about Creed 2, not Overboard. Just to be clear.

• Like 1

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic