DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - that was in the first trailer

I need to re-read the book but I don't think that was in the book but again License issues are completely going to change that.

My daughter and I have been listening to the audiobook for the past couple of trips up to MD and no, it's not in there.

I remember having to discussing the geo-politics of the Cold War to her after the WarGames movie bit and we also had an interesting chat about killer dungeons when I called bullshit when Parizival punked out the Demi-Lich from the Tomb of Horrors.

"Why would you play a game that you were guaranteed to lose, Dad?"

"Because we were nerds and we were stupid, kid."

23 hours ago, Casey said:

I think ya'll are asking for a little too much from a movie about lab born dinosaurs that reside in a theme park on a secluded island. This isn't being presented like The King's Speech or some shit - it's a big, dumb summer action movie.

Your point would be valid if the first installment of this series wasn't a movie that won multiple Academy Awards and is considered an all-time classic. 

One of the awards it was given at the Academy Awards that year was given to Independence Day about 3 years later, so I'm not sure what your point is. My point isn't valid because it won awards in... Sound Editing, Mixing and Visual Effects? Uhhhhhhh....

There is finally a trailer for Battle Angel Alita.

The fact that they kept the huge anime eyes for Gally / Alita kinda weirds me out and hopefully there will be a lot more cyborg murder in this movie than the trailer would imply.

Like, there's so many obvious things wrong with this. First, I guess Stallone isn't going to get any trouble for his rape charge. Second, he's really doing his best to turn Creed 2 into a turd. Brock will look so many weight classes different than Michael B. Jordan. Even for a Rocky movie that plays fast and loose with weight classes, that will be just dumb. Even if Ivan Drago is billed as being 260 lbs. (according to Wikipedia), there's no way you're going to say that MBJ is close to 260 lbs. The whole idea of getting revenge for Drago killing Apollo is dumb. Adonis didn't even know Apollo. He wants to be his own man anyway.

Ugh, everything about this sounds bad. Creed 2 should be about going after the guy Little Duke is playing. You then at least have the built in drama of Duke training Apollo for Rocky and then Duke becoming Rocky's lead trainer.

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Like, there's so many obvious things wrong with this. First, I guess Stallone isn't going to get any trouble for his rape charge. Second, he's really doing his best to turn Creed 2 into a turd. Brock will look so many weight classes different than Michael B. Jordan. Even for a Rocky movie that plays fast and loose with weight classes, that will be just dumb. Even if Ivan Drago is billed as being 260 lbs. (according to Wikipedia), there's no way you're going to say that MBJ is close to 260 lbs. The whole idea of getting revenge for Drago killing Apollo is dumb. Adonis didn't even know Apollo. He wants to be his own man anyway.

Ugh, everything about this sounds bad. Creed 2 should be about going after the guy Little Duke is playing. You then at least have the built in drama of Duke training Apollo for Rocky and then Duke becoming Rocky's lead trainer.

Sage Northcutt said he auditioned for Ivan's son some weeks back. I think ole Sly is just throwing shit at the wall.

Yeah I think it was just a random pic to share. He referenced an announcement then his next post after is announcing Stephen Caple Jr. is taking over as director.

"officialslystallone: The character of Adonis Creed reflects this generation, and I believe it is important to have a director who is part of it , that is why I think we are Lucky to have Stephen Caple ,Jr A wonderful new talent take over The directorial chores and make the story as relatable as possible… He and Michael B Jordon will deliver a knockout!"

This whole thing illustrates a recurring coda in Stallone's career: he orchestrates a comeback by reminding audiences that he has a certain charm and DIY outsider artist quality. Then he uses the rebuilt equity to remind everyone that he also has terrible instincts and loves easy paychecks.   

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Pete said:

So they seem to have removed 

Reveal hidden contents

Oklahoma City

from the plot as well, not that it really plays into anything. More interesting that 

Reveal hidden contents

Art3mis

plays a much bigger part. 

Spoiler

From the trailer I gathered that after his place in the stacks is blown up he moves into some sort of squatter camp or off the grid gunter collective and that Art3mis is already holed up there.  Him not moving into his own apartment isn't a big deal, but having them meet up in the real world earlier on in the film is incredibly dumb and undoes a lot of the major plot points.  I'm also going to be butthurt if they take out his plan to infiltrate IOI as I thought that was one of the better acts in the book.  Then again it could just be a case of the trailer showing a bunch of shit out of sequence.

This has me simultaneously really looking forward to the movie and getting an even bigger feeling they're going to needlessly change a bunch of shit.

6 hours ago, (BP) said:

This whole thing illustrates a recurring coda in Stallone's career: he orchestrates a comeback by reminding audiences that he has a certain charm and DIY outsider artist quality. Then he uses the rebuilt equity to remind everyone that he also has terrible instincts and loves easy paychecks.   

Never had any problem with a movie Stallone is writing and or directing. Its when he is only acting he mails it in, minus some exceptions. 

The 15:17 to Paris

Directed by Clint Eastwood

You should all probably be aware of the story by now. The unique (I guess I will use that descriptor) is that the 3 Americans are actually playing themselves . I feel like that has to be a mind fuck.

Annihilation

Director: Alex Garland (Ex Machina)

Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Gina Rodriguez, Tessa Thompson, Tuva Novotny, and Oscar Isaac

Based on part of Jeff VanderMeer’s Southern Reach trilogy

First Ghostbusters does an all female reboot and now Ocean's 8.

I have an idea!

DVDVR Films in association with For The LAAAAAAAADIES Productions will make an all dude reboot of Charlie's Angels featuring Chris Evans, Shemar Moore, and Will Yun Lee.

We will all be fucking rich.  I will have a talk with Fowler immediately.

• Like 2