DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I thought it was new, so I only went back 2 weeks in the thread. 

The movie definitely had been discussed before but I have no idea if that is a new trailer or not

The search for the lead in Disney‘s live-action Mulan film has ended. Chinese actress Liu Yifei, also known as Crystal Liu, will play the role, according to THR. The studio searched five continents to find the actress, who must be skilled in martial arts. Liu Yifei is nicknamed “Fairy Sister” by the Chinese public and is known for her work in a number of television dramas from the last decade, as well as The Forbidden Kingdom with Jackie Chan and Jet Li in 2008 and Outcast with Nicolas Cage and Hayden Christensen in 2014. She’s also known for starring in The Chinese Widow opposite Emile Hirsch, which opened at the Shanghai International Film Festival in June.

All in the Money in the World

Here is a new trailer now with Christopher Plummer instead of Kevin Spacey

The tone of the trailer is completely different than the first one so not sure if they decided to totally change the film with Plummer stepping in or just the nature of the trailer.

Lowlife (dir. Ryan Prows)

This just got picked up by UFC Midnight for theatrical release after hitting the festival circuit. I'd try to explain it, but... well, anyway, here's the Google synopsis

The lives of a luchador, an ex-con and an addict collide when an organ harvesting scheme goes awry.

Yeah. NSFW for language

42 minutes ago, Control said:

Guess this is more current than upcoming but I’m down.

I love the manga and I also love Takashi Miike so I'm also in. 

IIRC, it's currently available On Demand in the Now Showing In Theaters queue so I may have to use my free rental on it.

I'm happy to get something in return for paying that outrageous FiOS bill on time.

On 02/12/2017 at 6:21 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, 16 year old twinks don't just disappear off yachts themselves, you know. 

For no reason whatsoever, a Patton Oswalt line came to mind: 'The human rectum is almost nightmarishly elastic.'

On 9/27/2017 at 2:16 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

GOTTI

Starring John Travolta, Stacy Keach, and Kelly Preston

I think this is going to suffer from "Covers WAY too much material" Syndrome. Especially since the director isn't someone like Coppola or Scorcese, but rather is a guy from Entourage

Lionsgate has pulled distribution of this film 10 days before its release without explanation.   

The two main schools of thought:   1) Travolta's next in the Hollywood Sex Predators Hit Parade.  or 2) The film is atrociously bad and Lionsgate wants to cut its losses.  

The fun part is, both are extremely plausible!

4 minutes ago, (BP) said:

The Gotti producers apparently bought the distribution rights back from Lionsgate because it wasn't getting a wide release. They do not strike me as bright people. 

From Travolta himself via Deadline:

Unfortunately, the reports were speculation bordering on fake news,” Travolta told Deadline. “Lionsgate was planning on a minimal release, and I did an investigation into people who might have the interest and financial wherewithal to better release it. Ed is a fan of mine and of the Gotti story and really wanted to see the movie. I invited his group, they saw it and bought it. That is the simple explanation for this. It wasn’t dropped. It wasn’t easy to get Lionsgate to give it up. They said no, twice, and I literally begged them to reconsider and they finally and generously let it go. We signed this deal about three weeks ago, to purchase back the film from Lionsgate. Our mistake was we should have said something right then and discussed our plan for the film. We didn’t anticipate this speculation that is so grossly wrong.”

So I'm guessing STX or Byron Allen's Entertainment Studios probably bought the distribution rights.

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Lionsgate has pulled distribution of this film 10 days before its release without explanation.   

The two main schools of thought:   1) Travolta's next in the Hollywood Sex Predators Hit Parade.  or 2) The film is atrociously bad and Lionsgate wants to cut its losses.  

The fun part is, both are extremely plausible!

The really fun part is Travolta's face in the screenshot is the same face he would make if he read this post.

Greatest Showman moved up to Dec 20 (I am not quite sure when this happened so I could be the last to see this)

All The Money in the World moved back a few days until Christmas Day (which seems like a really weird way to celebrate the holiday)

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

7 DAYS IN ENTEBBE

I know it's "inspired by a true story", but watching the trailer, it reminded me of something I can't quite put my finger on...