DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I caught The Disaster Artist last night. It really is an insane film. The reaction of "What the fuck did I just watch?" I had after the credits rolled was almost the same level as when I saw The Room for the first time, but this time it was also partially because I saw a genuinely great movie.

It really is scary just how much James Franco disappears into portraying Tommy Wiseau, it was a similar vibe to Jim Carrey disappearing into Andy Kaufman in Man On The Moon.

The friend I watched with described it as "Ed Wood meets Rocky" and it really is an appropriate description. They also made the movie in a way where I think it will be entertaining even if you have never seen the inspiration behind it, though they made sure to sneak plenty of Easter eggs into it for those in the know.

• Like 1

Sam Mendes is no longer going to direct the live action Pinocchio (which he left the live action James and the Giant Peach for)

So the rumors are this means he will direct the next Bond movie

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Sam Mendes is no longer going to direct the live action Pinocchio (which he left the live action James and the Giant Peach for)

So the rumors are this means he will direct the next Bond movie

This is like cursing out your boss and quitting your job on Monday, but they make your show up for the rest of the week to get that final paycheck.

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This is like cursing out your boss and quitting your job on Monday, but they make your show up for the rest of the week to get that final paycheck.

This is why you schedule a week's vacation in advance and time your two week's notice so that you're working one week and getting paid to sit on your ass the next.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, J.T. said:

This is why you schedule a week's vacation in advance and time your two week's notice so that you're working one week and getting paid to sit on your ass the next.

I once put in two weeks' notice at an IT job.  For security reasons, they just let me go that day and paid me for two more weeks.  It was glorious.

Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson will be starring in a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Some places are calling it Nasty Women but that isn't 100% confirmed

It will be directed by Chris Addison (From In the Loop, Doctor Who - it will be his movie directorial debut (he has directed episodes of Veep))

Release date is August 10, 2018

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think this is the best time to post this:

b7noqs.jpg

If this doesn't end up last on the Rotten Tomatoes list for next year's summer blockbuster contest, I completely give up on life.

The series of novels it's based on is actually fairly decent.  This movie will either be more horrible than anyone could ever imagine or it will be a sleeper hit. 

No in-between.

I'm surprised they're being so vague in the movie description about what The Meg actually is. 

Spoiler

A simple Google search on the novel title will reveal that it is a fucking giant shark.  Meg = Megalodon, duh.

tumblr_lqrge7scY91r0kvkyo1_500.jpg

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Rampage

Yup the Rock movie based on the video game

This looks really horrible, but it has kaiju in it so fuck it.  I'm probably in. 

At least they had the decency to include all three of the Rampage monsters from the game in the movie even though they obviously couldn't make Lizzie look like Godzilla because of licensing and shit.

If I am going to give The Rock my money, I'd watch something like this rather than a steaming turd like Baywatch.

I dare Rippa to stare at the vid cap for the Red Sparrow trailer for ten minutes without drooling.

A Rampage movie where the kaiju are regular animals mutated by alien virus rather than humans mutated by illegal food additives, toxic waste or corporate malfeasance is a movie where we never get an ex-kaiju slinking away naked to try and avoid getting eaten by compatriots, and that's not okay.  (Also, I feel certain that if Lizzy and Ralph aren't walking upright, and George is DON'T HURT HIM HE'S MY FRIEND, we will never get a monster throwing a human straight up into the sky and catching them in its mouth on the way down.)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

A new A Wrinkle in Time trailer

It debuted during the Philly / Dallas game last night. 

I am happy that they kept the surreal feel of the novels, but I am sure people will bitch about the casting even though one of the central themes of the books is about how the universe is made stronger by diversity as the evil force central to the plot does its best to make everything uniform and therefore more susceptible to control.

The other problem with putting this novel on the big screen is that it took me a couple of reads to wrap my head around the concepts, so there is bound to be a lot of WTF? from kids (and adults as well) in the audience watching this movie who have not been exposed to the prose.

watched the movie Warcraft yesterday. played Warcraft 2 back in the day, never tried 3 or WoW. 

you know, it wasn't terrible. some of the characters were developed well. others clearly were just thrown out there.i can see why it wasn't well regarded, but i had no major problem with it. well worth my 2 hr and $0 investment.