DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The next Terminator will be directed by Tim Miller (Deadpool)

Linda Hamilton and Arnold will both be in it

Per James Cameron

“We’re starting a search for an 18-something woman to be the new centerpiece of the new story,” Cameron said. “We still fold time. We will have characters from the future and the present. There will be mostly new characters but we’ll have Arnold and Linda’s characters to anchor it.”

It is being considered a direct sequel to T2 and the rest of the films can go fuck themselves

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Here you guys go

The callback at the end of the trailer to the original shitty Tomb Raider movies is tremendous.

I want to like this but so far, I don't like it as much as I want to.

1 hour ago, Raziel403 said:

So, we're cherry picking some of the cooler part of the reboot game and tossing in some Unchart- I mean original Tomb Raider.  Low expectations but I'll give it a shot.

I'd at least like for my video game movie to look less like a video game and more like a movie. 

The action shots look like quick time events and just how many spindle puzzle solving sessions can you have in one theatrical release?

Speaking of video game movies that have terribly obvious video game mechanics, there was a scene in the Silent Hill movie where Radha Mitchell is crossing on a ledge from one building to another and a flashlight drops out of her pocket.

I remarked, "You have lost one [1] item from your inventory." 

The crowd in the theater erupted with laughter.

One guy tried to have me thrown out.  I'm guessing he was a fan of the game and was pissed that the movie was very shitty.

• Like 2

As soon as I heard "if so and so finds the macguffin, the whole world is in danger," I rolled my eyes so hard I might need to get my Lasik redone.  Why can't we tell smaller stories?  Hollywood only knows one level of stakes, I guess.

Speaking of "plot created by cynical Hollywood execs," please notice how Lara appears to be a misfit, alienated from her family and fortune, before ending up on this world-saving adventure.  So she's the unlikely, somewhat unwilling chosen one, and they just hamfistedly glommed your standard YA bullshit plot onto a Tomb Raider movie.  Yay.  I think the Hollywood Exec Decision Flowchart starts with "great pitch, but can we retrofit a YA plot onto it to get the kid demo?"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

As soon as I heard "if so and so finds the macguffin, the whole world is in danger," I rolled my eyes so hard I might need to get my Lasik redone.  Why can't we tell smaller stories?  Hollywood only knows one level of stakes, I guess.

As Damon Lindelof succinctly put it, "Once you spend over  $100 million on a movie, you have to save the world."

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, EVA said:

As Damon Lindelof succinctly put it, "Once you spend over  $100 million on a movie, you have to save the world."

And The Amazing Spider-Man took this idea and kicked it in the balls. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And The Amazing Spider-Man took this idea and kicked it in the balls. 

I think you're thinking of Homecoming, because Amazing had the insane plot about Lizard trying to turn all humans into lizard-people.

49 minutes ago, EVA said:

I think you're thinking of Homecoming, because Amazing had the insane plot about Lizard trying to turn all humans into lizard-people.

Long day at work.  Yes.  Homecoming.   

Fuck Amazing Spider-Man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Speaking of "plot created by cynical Hollywood execs," please notice how Lara appears to be a misfit, alienated from her family and fortune, before ending up on this world-saving adventure.  So she's the unlikely, somewhat unwilling chosen one, and they just hamfistedly glommed your standard YA bullshit plot onto a Tomb Raider movie.  Yay.  I think the Hollywood Exec Decision Flowchart starts with "great pitch, but can we retrofit a YA plot onto it to get the kid demo?"

eGt1ZXAxMTI=_o_saturday-night-live-debbi

• Haha 1