DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

9 hours ago, (BP) said:

Stallone is probably directing and writing Creed 2, and the way he's been desperately pushing it on instagram it's almost like he's having trouble getting it financed. I have a feeling he doesn't have a handle on why Creed worked so well and it's going to be more on the level of quality of the Expendables movies.  He seems to have a chip on his shoulder about the level of input he had on the first one and he didn't even thank Coogler during his Golden Globes acceptance speech. 

To be fair, he also wrote and directed Rocky Balboa, and it was fantastic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

CREED 2 is coming out in Novemeber, I'm pretty sure the financing for it has already been secured.

I thought it had been delayed until after Black Panther comes out, but could be wrong.. Seems like there would be more out about it by now if it was still coming in Nov.

15 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I thought it had been delayed until after Black Panther comes out, but could be wrong.. Seems like there would be more out about it by now if it was still coming in Nov.

Yeah, I don't think it's coming out next November because the Fantastic Beasts sequel is in the middle of the month (just like JL is in the middle of this November). All the marketing resources are going to be allocated for big budget blockbusters before Thanksgiving. Unless MGM is distributing it by themselves and Stallone is the actual director, then I don't see that happening.

The story of Adonis seeking revenge for his father's death is so...boring. It sounds like some direct to video shit. It was already mentioned, but the better story is revisiting the dude Adonis took the title shot from.

OR...or...you go the Rocky 3 route and it's Adonis vs a character played by Conor.

• Like 1

Black Panther's press commitments will keep Coogler and Jordan busy for most of the early part of 2018 and add weeks or months to that if BP is a blockbuster.

No way they can clear their schedules in time for shooting and wrapping by end of the year.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

The story of Adonis seeking revenge for his father's death is so...boring. It sounds like some direct to video shit. It was already mentioned, but the better story is revisiting the dude Adonis took the title shot from.

OR...or...you go the Rocky 3 route and it's Adonis vs a character played by Conor.

Has there been anything besides the Instagram posts that suggest it's going to be an Adonis vs. Drago or Son of Drago storyline?

Somehow working in Drago having to deal with killing a man in the ring 30some years ago could be interesting. 

Conlan / Creed 2 needs to happen in the sequel unless we're arriving in medias res with Creed as the LHW champ and they play up the Creed is unworthy of the belt because never beat Pretty Ricky angle in the run-up to his fight with Drago's kid.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Well, there probably won't be a rematch between Creed and Pretty Ricky Conlan now that Tony Bellew is in talks for a rematch with David Haye with that fight possibly going down by this December.

27 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

THE CURRENT WAR

Starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Nicholas Hoult, and Michael Shannon

This could be amazing. 

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I'm watching that trailer and waiting for Tesla to make his run in.

And then it's teased.

And then he's revealed.

And I got goosebumps. This movie looks so motherfucking cool. I've seen more trailers this year that left me with a huge dopey smile on my face. Now those movies need to actually pay off. (I still haven't seen Baby Driver :( )

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Well, there probably won't be a rematch between Creed and Pretty Ricky Conlan now that Tony Bellew is in talks for a rematch with David Haye with that fight possibly going down by this December.

On a serious note, for someone with zero acting experience that I know of, Bellew was halfway decent. 

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Conlan / Creed 2 needs to happen in the sequel unless we're arriving in medias res with Creed as the LHW champ and they play up the Creed is unworthy of the belt because never beat Pretty Ricky angle in the run-up to his fight with Drago's kid.

Conlan is in prison. We're talking about the guy that knocked Donnie out at the gym that was supposed to challenge Conlan but got his jaw broke at the press conference. You make that a fight for the vacant title, then part 3 be Adonis defending against Conlan in a rematch.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Conlan is in prison. We're talking about the guy that knocked Donnie out at the gym that was supposed to challenge Conlan but got his jaw broke at the press conference. You make that a fight for the vacant title, then part 3 be Adonis defending against Conlan in a rematch.

This is pretty much the way to go.  The whole crux of the Adonis/Wheeler fight is that Adonis was out of his league and why Little Duke wouldn't train him.  Circling back to that makes sense as Adonis avenges the loss, and gets his legitimate win.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Conlan is in prison.

You're assuming that Creed 2 will happen in medias res right after the title fight and that is not a surety. 

There's nothing that says that the sequel can't be scheduled right after Conlan is released from prison.

That being said, I agree with Raziel that your timeline would make for better sequels.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

You're assuming that Creed 2 will happen in medias res right after the title fight and that is not a surety. 

There's nothing that says that the sequel can't be scheduled right after Conlan is released from prison.

That being said, I agree with Raziel that your timeline would make for better sequels.

It seemed like they set it up for a trilogy. 

I could've sworn someone put this up already, but since I can't find it, You Were Never Really Here, starring Joaquin Phoenix.

This looks on the surface like Joaquin's entry in the middle aged action hero genre by way of Taxi Driver. Maybe it's supposed to be a commentary on the distinguished greying killer movies since being a mercenary seems like the childish fantasy of a younger person, and someone doing it in middle age would have to be pretty damaged.