DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It's the only William Gibson novel I would say 95% of readers have read

I was a budding hacker and computer nerd in the 80's so Gibson was mandatory literature.  I've read everything he's written.

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

That's why I said 95%

I think a lot of it depends on your thoughts about cyberpunk in general

I like cyberpunk for the most part and the cool thing about Neuromancer is that it will seem very familiar with younger audiences since they've grown up hearing about the tech that Gibson speculated about in the 80's. 

We have lived long enough to see his science fiction become science fact.

The downside is that cyberpunk is a very depressing genre.  Gibson's future is pessimistic and bleak and most of his characters are pretty unlikeable except for Molly.

That's why I think that she will me the marketing focal point if this thing ever gets off the ground.  She's hot, she's a badass, she dresses in leather, and she has microfilament razors coming out of her fingers. 

She will be on lots and lots of printed tees in Target if this movie is a blockbuster.

23 hours ago, piranesi said:

Jessica Chastain is amazing but that fucking trailer was literally from beginning to end the entire movie except the ending. I fucking hate that so much.

Not saying the trailer doesn't give away the entire movie, because it does... but I think it's a little less egregious a sin when it's for a movie about a true story. 

After watching it last night, it does feel like the whole film was included in the trailer. You can cut thirty seconds off of it and keep folks in some type of suspense even if it's a true story.