DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I am also a little leery because the top billed character on IMDB was created specifically for the movie (and isn't in the book)

I am being purposefully vague for spoiler reasons

Dystopian future (because it is always a dystopian future) due to ENERGY CRISIS~! sees everyone using a Virtual Reality

The Steve Jobs like creator of said VR has died and in his will says the first person who can solve this scavenger hunt puzzle dealie gets his entire fortune

So go!

The story is enjoyable. I think the big reason people are drawn to it is because of all the nostalgia since it is FULL of 80s references (with some other stuff but mostly 80s). It is also one those few books that has a heavy video game influence... which weirdly didn't show up a ton in the trailer.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2017 at 5:42 AM, J.T. said:

So Bright is Alien Nation with Orcs taking the place of extraterrestrials.

It's Shadowrun with the serial numbers scratched off.

And the obvious Alien Nation comparison is there and I hope they are more successful than the last criminally overlooked go at it (Almost Human).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

One one hand, The Stacks and the visuals of the OASIS look exactly like I'd imagined.  The action sequences in the end don't look like anything that was in the book (namely that big chase scene featuring the Delorean and Tron bike), though I suppose they could be from one of the big battle scenes.  I'm pleasantly surprised to see how much stuff they were apparently able to license.  My biggest concern is still that they're going to get the overall feel of the book right but significantly change some of the bigger plot points and characters.

The fact they already gave away a major plot point with the announced casting is fairly problematic to me. Then again, you have people convinced that their lives are over because the trailer used "Tom Sawyer" instead of "Temples of Syrinx" (yes, RUSH as plot point) which is a whole other level of nerd self-hatred. 

Oh I am loving the Nerd vs. Nerd hate that anything like this has (just like all the screaming I am seeing because Justice League has blue lightning and not yellow lightning)

STUFF I LIKE: THE BOOK~!

But I will say that in reading more and more - there is a bunch of stuff in the trailer that was not in the book so every might want to readjust their expectations (I was thinking "Boy has it really been that long since I read it?")

9 hours ago, turk128 said:

Professor Marston & the Wonder Women

Like the Secretary but with comics and based on real life that's more stranger than fiction.

Wonder how many people will take their teens to see it because the kid saw Wonder Woman and became a huge fan.

Invoking the Secretary reminds me of the wacky, kinky chick I was dating at the time who really, really, REALLY liked the Secretary.  Liked it in ways that were mostly disturbing to me even though I benefited big time every time we watched it,

I'm glad we broke up (met my wife right after).  

Also, the chick like Donnie Darko and I would gladly suffer a bunch of hideous fates if it meant not having to see that movie again.

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

DAVE MADE A MAZE

dir. Bill Watterson 

Thought this was the Calvin & Hobbes Bill Watterson and got excited.  Not the same guy, and I guess we would've heard a lot more about this movie if it was.

This was tweeted by The Emoji Movie's Twitter:

emojimovie.jpg

It has since been deleted.  

The critics embargo has now been lifted.  As of 4:44pm on Thursday, it has 16 reviews on RT.  It's current score is 0.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This was tweeted by The Emoji Movie's Twitter:

emojimovie.jpg

It has since been deleted.  

The critics embargo has now been lifted.  As of 4:44pm on Thursday, it has 16 reviews on RT.  It's current score is 0.