DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

REBEL IN THE RYE

Starring Nicholas Hoult, Kevin Spacey, and Zoey Deutch

This seems like Oscar-bait that will end up getting like a 30 on Rotten Tomatoes. I hope I'm wrong about that though. 

https://t.co/jc9H7Uz15Q

X-Men director Brian Singer has signed on for the film with Rami Malek to star as Mercury.

SHARE ON:      

JESS JONES — JULY 20, 2017

Freddie Mercury. Image: Queen / Facebook

QUEEN has announced a new biopic based on the life of Freddie Mercury, but it may not be what viewers expect.

X-Men director Brian Singer has signed on for the film, with Rami Malek to star as Mercury, according to Pink News.

While Mercury was the highest-profile victim of the AIDS crisis, it seems the film, to be titled Bohemian Rhapsody: The Film, will focus on the band rather than Mercury’s life.

Sacha Baron Cohen, who was previously set to star as Mercury, quit over “micromanagement” of the project and the band’s vision for the film focusing on the story of the band rather than an honest account of Mercury’s life, struggle with AIDS, and death.

The band announced on their blog that the film will “recreate the fabulous Queen years which brought us such unforgettable moments as Live Aid”, not mentioning Mercury’s personal life.

Brian May and Roger Taylor, executive producers for the new film, spoke highly of Malek.

“Rami has a great presence and he’s utterly dedicated to the project,” they said.

“He’s completely living and breathing Freddie already, which is wonderful.”

The band’s blog said the announcement of who will be playing the other band members in the film is “news for another day”.

6 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

The band’s blog said the announcement of who will be playing the other band members in the film is “news for another day”.

while

6 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

will focus on the band rather than Mercury’s life.

I think they're still trying to bribe some people to star in this trash

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Pacific Rim Uprising

I honestly saw that screen cap and thought "Anthem" instead of Pacific Rim.

So, is GDT abandoning the plot point that Jaegers require two pilots for the sake of putting more mecha eye candy on screen?

17 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This seems like Oscar-bait that will end up getting like a 30 on Rotten Tomatoes. I hope I'm wrong about that though. 

Fuck this movie and Fuck JD Salinger

Why yes I hated Catcher in the Rye? Why do you ask?

• Like 1

Bright

A Netflix movie directed by David Ayer staring what seems like fucking everyone

The Netflix original film stars Will Smith, Joel Edgerton, Noomi Rapace, Lucy Fry, Edgar Ramirez, Ike Barinholtz, Enrique Murciano, Jay Hernandez, Andrea Navedo, Veronica Ngo, Alex Meraz, Margaret Cho, Brad William Henke, Dawn Olivieri, and Kenneth Choi. The film is directed by David Ayer and written by Max Landis. David Ayer, Eric Newman, and Bryan Unkeless serve as producers.

I cannot fully enjoy the Laughing Man story arc in Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex because the motto in his logo is from shitty shitty Catcher in the Rye.

So Bright is Alien Nation with Orcs taking the place of extraterrestrials.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I honestly saw that screen cap and thought "Anthem" instead of Pacific Rim.

So, is GDT abandoning the plot point that Jaegers require two pilots for the sake of putting more mecha eye candy on screen?

From an interview I found, it sounds like Del Toro was hands off as a producer and let Steven DeKnight do his own thing.

• Like 1

One one hand, The Stacks and the visuals of the OASIS look exactly like I'd imagined.  The action sequences in the end don't look like anything that was in the book (namely that big chase scene featuring the Delorean and Tron bike), though I suppose they could be from one of the big battle scenes.  I'm pleasantly surprised to see how much stuff they were apparently able to license.  My biggest concern is still that they're going to get the overall feel of the book right but significantly change some of the bigger plot points and characters.

• Like 2

The CINEMATIC GAME CHANGER~! shit was infuriating but that had nothing to do with the actual footage shown

I really need to reread the book

• Like 2

Remember - they are going to use whatever they have easy access to licensing rights for. Thus why you are going to get Warner Brothers heavy stuff even if it wasn't in the book.

(There was another movie recently that ran into this issue - it was around music if I remember - but I am totally spacing what it was)

Interested to see how they handle the movie scene levels.

They can make a boatload of money if they push it hard and release it against lighter competition, which is what I think they are doing.